Texas Border Check Points?

homelesshartshorns

Several years ago while I was still driving an over the road  truck, I had stopped at the CP north of ElPaso on Hwy 54, the dogs were going over an old pickup off to the side, I was in the truck line (only other vehicle at the CP) and they had a dock they could stand on and be at window level. i was enjoying the show and did not know one of the other agents had walked up to the window which was down, he said in a louder than normal voice"you gonna sit here all day". Of course I jumped and said "Oh S-_t". He got a charge out of it and we visited for several mins. Never asked what I was hauling, where I had been or where I was going. Just have a good day and drive safe. I still get a grin out of it after over 20 years. Like everyone says, be polite and give direct answers.

48 minutes ago, Al F said:

One option here could have been to not respond to the person who resurrected a 4 month old post and allow the reply to just go away!

Dang, I wish I had thought of that.

But do you honestly believe that NO ONE else would have replied?? What about the story that Not Quite Yet just posted? Now that was at least fun to read.

But WTF, I'm willing to try it.

Hey everyone!! Al says don't reply any more. 

There! That should do it. Thus endeth this thread!

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

17 hours ago, Al F said:

One option here could have been to not respond to the person who resurrected a 4 month old post and allow the reply to just go away!

^^ WINNING post right there.  But I think you're asking for too much maturity from the whiner you directed it to.  His reply to you proves my point.

Thanks Remo. After 17 hrs I was beginning to think y'all were gonna leave me stuck out.  I knew there had to be someone out there that would rescue me :) You're my hero!

2014 smart Fortwo

3 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Just to toss this out... this post was started 1 year and 4 m. previously - 2016  (not 4m). :) 

True, the topic was started a year & 4 months ago, but no replies have been made since September 2017.  Then came the reply which seemed to me to be kind of grumbly and rambling which resurrected the topic.  That reply could have just been ignored instead of giving it much more attention than is deserved.  

Nothing wrong with the topic as originally started, which was about "are the border check points a hassle". 

In the last week, we came though two of them in NM & AZ.  A nuisance, at least for us.  If for some reason we were to be pulled over for a detailed inspection/questioning, then it would be a real pain.

It appears to me they run your license plate and if the search doesn't show anything and they don't see anything unusual when you pull up, you are just waved on by.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

2 hours ago, remoandiris said:

And you're my hero, little man.

aww...now who is calling who names? Such a shame when a grown up can't manage to have a conversation without resorting to name calling. Isn't that sort of indicative of intelligence? 

2014 smart Fortwo

no not getting my advice from u tube. or from the "third toilet from the left"

have you read the Constitution of the United States of America?

or any of the laws in dealing with travel, unreasonable search and confiscations?

yes i do believe our goverment must control our boarders, as no country can afford to just allow a un counted number of illegals to enter.

and to try to stop "pests" from cross contaminating our food crops.

but to stop people at random and interrogate them  is like back in germany under hittler's ss goons saying "show me your papers".

and they were just "obeying orders". no not saying they are the same. just doing something of the same nature.

or maybe i have just lived in California way too long. as many here have this distrust of the goverment.

many here try to stand up for our rights, but if everybody just lays down and lets the goverment do as it pleases. where will it stop?

but i do believe the fools doing the utube videos of refusing the first questions, aka refusing to roll down a window are just making it worse.

the leo's ask questions in such ways to make you trip up at times. sure it is a good way to catch a crook. but one does not need to answer exactly the question where have you been, or where are you going. your not hiding anything, just they do not need to know such information about you.

and as for the ag check points here in ca. i can not remember the last time i was stopped in a car, pu, bike. even in the rigs at work except there a new gal wanted to see my papers. i told her i was empty but handed her the signed delivery receipts and she got mad and said get out of here.

maybe i have been lucky as not stopped in decades. in a number of western states. (other than her). the truck scales inspectors do not question, only want to write tickets.

guess i am just one of those wackos from ca?

I have gone through a number of these checkpoints in New Mexico and Texas and the most exciting one was when our dog rolled down the back window on the truck. I had neglected to set the window lock and the Border Patrol agent backed off. I apologized, rolled up the window and that was that. 

At every other checkpoint they have either looked at my veteran license plate and just waved us on or at most asked if we were US citizens and if anyone was in the fiver. Quite honestly if someone is getting more detailed questioning it is because they have likely given the agents a reason, much like a police officer pulling someone over for say weaving in the road. They now have probable cause.

I do not find the check points to be a hassle and am glad to see them.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Packnrat, are you old enough to remember when the checks for produce were common entering Ca? In some places livestock crossing state lines was more commonly inspected.  I have seen it once in a while in recent history. True enough questioning can go too far but the basic stuff is just not worth gettingin an uproar over.  You can say too much if your are not careful or say something  the wrong way. It is somewhat difficult on the citizen to decide what is too far in these incidents.

Try getting into florida through the agriculture check point with a trailer full of horse's without current paper work for coggins testing. On my return trip up north having sold two head of livestock and paper work not matching amount of animals in trailer I was held up for a more in depth paper work dig. ( yes they counted them) interesting part was they had USDA inspectors working some type of TDY assignment from the NY metro area. Talking with the agent and him finding out I just retired from the thin Blue Line in the metro area, He helped me clear the inspection much quicker. Is what it is.

11 hours ago, remoandiris said:

C'mon, you can do better than that.  

Naa, you aren't worth it. I'll leave that to Iris.

10 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I do not find the check points to be a hassle and am glad to see them.

What can you say, Chalkie? Some people are just whiners :)

2014 smart Fortwo

I lived in CA most of my life and passed thru BP checkpoints on I-15 and I-5 all the time. I have also passed many in AZ, NM, and TX. The one on I-10 east of El Paso and the one in NM north of Demming. Also passed one this morning in AZ on 95 heading from Yuma to Quartzsite. I always take off my sunglasses, roll my window down and say “good morning or good afternoon officer, and thank you for your service. They always just waive me thru. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

6 hours ago, remoandiris said:

Your just like my neighbor's Yorkie.

That should be "you're". ;) Gee, this is fun. You are too easy. LOL

2014 smart Fortwo

I always carry my passport card in my wallet.

In 2009, a California inspector searched all of my trailer and the TR4 it contained.  She showed no interest at all in the Coachmen Freelander that was towing it.  We could have had a hundred watermelons in there....

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

5 hours ago, pethier said:

I always carry my passport card in my wallet.

In 2009, a California inspector searched all of my trailer and the TR4 it contained.  She showed no interest at all in the Coachmen Freelander that was towing it.  We could have had a hundred watermelons in there....

I would assume sometime they may have bolo's sometimes  that makes them look at certain things and we wouldn't know about those.  I had a couple of minor looks over the years mostly Border Patrol in NM between the border and Deming. Went through there several time one spring and they got to giving me a "hard time" ;) about why I wasn't riding  the motorcycle in the truck instead of giving the motorcycle a ride in the truck.

Archived