Need help with toad/towing

RMD3819

We have to delay our DP purchase so I have two options with the current MH which is a 98 National Dolphin 33' with an 8 cylinder gas engine. Sticker at tow receiver says max load 5,000 lbs.

Option 1:
14 CRV AWD auto transmission with all wheels down CRV weighs 4564 GVWR.

Option 2:
08 Beetle auto transmission on a dolly with front wheels up. VW weighs 4071 GVWR. We can borrow the dolly; I don't know what that weighs.

Neither vehicle has anything installed. Would prefer using the CRV as that is what we will use behind the DP but it weighs more and we are close to the limit as it is.

I don't know what the MH will need . It has a round outlet. There is a black and a white wire wrapped around the receiver not attached to anything but apparently one end of each was once attached to the outer ring of the wiring socket.

I don't have any experience with towing so need advice starting with the basics on what needs to be done with the MH and car-what type to buy etc.

Start at the beginning please.

VNEtR9Al.jpg

I'm pretty sure the dolly will put at least 500 LBS. to your tow weight, if you can haul the CRV with wheels down that would be the way to go, the curb weights they give is with a full tank of gas, so just put enough gas in, to keep the weight down, and to get to the next station where ever you go. And looking at the socket it seems to be the 7 blade socket which you can find an adapter to make it a 4 pin to fit magnetic lights and you will need your hitch, that needs to be rated at 5000+ lbs and a ball of the same weight rating, the wire was at one time, a ground probably, don't forget your tow lights, either magnetic or integrated to the crv. also most states require a towing brake, each state is different, tow brakes are well worth the expense.

look for used tow bars like stowmaster, blue ox

towing brakes like brake buddy or blue ox

used,will save you thousands, unless you want new then get new

i use l.e.d tow lights i picked up from ebay

try Craigs list for used towing items, also do the research for the tow bars as there are several types to consider and will need to be attached the the tow vehicle in a safe fashion

and one more thing go weigh your CRV at a scale get an actual tow weight with tow bar and all accessories your gvwr is not your vehicle weight

Good Luck

Option 1:

14 CRV AWD auto transmission with all wheels down CRV weighs 4564 GVWR.

We own a 2014 CR-V and tow it behind a DP that has only 5,000 pound tow rating. Why are you acting as if the CR-V will weigh anywhere near its GVWR? That's the maximum permissible weight of the vehicle with 5 passengers and cargo. With no passengers and a light load in the back the vehicle weighs in at ~3,500 pounds. I can't see why you think you have an issue at all.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Thanks.

Bigmikem-Why would you need tow lights if using a braking system?

Doc-I guess my issue is I didn't know I did not have an issue with vehicle weights. This is why I need the most basic advice.

What type of system do you have in your CRV? I am looking at the invisi brake but don't know if the CRV has a compatible brake system.

I am not good at DIY so will be going to CW for this and am gathering info here so I have some knowledge when I talk to them. I don't mind spending the money on the CRV install but want minimal to the MH since I will be selling it.

What type of system do you have in your CRV? I am looking at the invisi brake but don't know if the CRV has a compatible brake system.

We have a ReadyBrake system in our CR-V that mates with the ReadyBrute tow bar we have. It's the second vehicle we've used it on and are very pleased. Simple, reliable and low cost.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

We have a ReadyBrake system in our CR-V that mates with the ReadyBrute tow bar we have. It's the second vehicle we've used it on and are very pleased. Simple, reliable and low cost.

This system is appealing. I had never heard of it. Do you have a switch to shut of the radio fuse?

I think you will find one of the reasons the CRV is such a popular choice as toad is that it does a great job in that duty. Some room for a few more items to carry, and go shopping with. AWD gives you a safety edge in increment travel conditions. (We add a Plus 1 tire size to increase our ground clearance by an inch. While you're never going to rock crawl, or do real off roading with a CRV AWD, it is amazing the places we've been able to get into, and out of, with it!). Great resell too, when the time comes...

Ours is older at the 2007 model, and when we did our research then, I went with US Gear braking system. I liked the proportional braking in the toad, and cockpit control on adjusting force. Real handy to push the override lever on the cockpit control when first pulling away after hooking up. The slight drag of the CRV brakes assures the tow bars fully lock into place. We also ran power supply from the coach to the CRV via the US Gear wiring, so no concerns of a dead battery at the end of the day, and no pulling of fuses.

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

We also use the US Gear braking system and it works very well.

The 5000 lb rating on that sticker is there to show that you have a 5000lb hitch. It has nothing to do with the capabilities of the motorhome. You could concievably have a 10,000 lb hitch installed if that would make you feel better but in my opinion the CRV will be no problem for what you have.

Cheers.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

This system is appealing. I had never heard of it. Do you have a switch to shut of the radio fuse?

At the time we set up the towing package there was some confusion as to which fuse needed to be pulled. Furthermore, the micro fuses in the CR-V weren't compatible with the switches I was aware of. The long and the short of it was that I ran a charging circuit to the vehicle using a ToadCharge device. That has served us well for the two seasons we've been towing this vehicle.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

We also have the Ready Brute Elite from NSA. Other than we wanted a curly cord and needed a 6? pin connector they just shipped the entire pkg. once we told them what we were towing. Had to do some homework on their site to figure out what we wanted above what they would ship. If you get to this point I can PM you what they shipped us. I am not sure you really want to go to CW. I had friends who went there and thee whole thing was wired wrong. Ended up with no brake or other lights. They resolved it themselves but it took a lot of work. CW is not that respected for installations etc. If you can go to an independent you would probably be better served. Whatever you do, double check that everything is working as anticipated before leaving the lot.

We installed a Fusemaster after having a dead battery in a 2013 CRV. We are towing this with a 2015 Winnie. I don't know where you got your weights from but there is no way the CRV weighs that much.

RMD3819 If using a brake buddy or blue ox system, they won't actuate the brakes on the tow vehicle every time you hit the brakes in the MOHO, soft braking usually won't trigger the unit, only when the sensitivity is breached does the brake system push on the brake peddle turning on the brake lights and sensitivity is adjustable on the unit. so the use for add on lights is needed good luck

I just came from a mom and pop shop I did business with long ago and spoke to the owner who has been doing this 40+ years.

He never heard of the NSA Readybrake system but can order them.
He suggests the Blue Ox Alpha tow bar and baseplate with the Stay N Play braking system. ~$3400 out the door.
Although he is also a Roadmaster dealer he pushes the Blue Ox because it is a cleaner install on the toad and also easier connect/disconnect than RM. I don't care about this but the aesthetics are a HUGE factor for the wife.
My hesitation with this is I could save roughly $1200 with the Readybrake, probably less once you factor in labor.
Thoughts?

I don't know anything about the Blue Ox System. Our goal was we did not want any system that we had to put in/out of the car each time we hooked/unhooked and hook up to the brake in the car. We selected the NSA Ready Brake Elite and love it. We have been towing about 2 years now and no problems. We have no complaints and either one of us can unhook it.

Ready Brake also has a lifetime warranty vs Blue Ox 3 years.............

I don't know anything about the Blue Ox System. Our goal was we did not want any system that we had to put in/out of the car each time we hooked/unhooked and hook up to the brake in the car. We selected the NSA Ready Brake Elite and love it. We have been towing about 2 years now and no problems. We have no complaints and either one of us can unhook it.

Ready Brake also has a lifetime warranty vs Blue Ox 3 years.............

When you disconnect do you take the unit out of the coach receiver or does it fold up towards the coach?

It folds up towards the coach. You just disconnect from the base plate and, of course, all the wires.

That's how Blue Ox works also. We enjoyed our Blue Ox for 8 full-timing years. . . very easy and fast to disconnect.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Go with the CRV

THE Stay and Play unit is an SMI peroduct.We have many friends with this unit and they swear by it.

We use the SMI product for a DP. It has been totally reliable, easy to hook up and use.

When your gear is installed on your toad and rig they should wire your lights on your car so that they work in conjunction with the brakes on your RV. We have no extra brake lights etc

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

. . . Real handy to push the override lever on the cockpit control when first pulling away after hooking up. The slight drag of the CRV brakes assures the tow bars fully lock into place. . .

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Thanks! That is a great tip! We too have the US Gear system and it never occurred to me to apply the towed brakes with the manual override control.

It only takes about 4-minutes to hook up or detach with that system (and that includes the "Protect-a-Tow" )

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

• 2 weeks later...

I am also looking at Tow brake systems, so I have enjoyed this thread. As for the suggestions of US Gear's Unified Tow brake system I was informed today from US Gear they discontinued this product in 2013. I have used it for 8 years and was planning on installing it in a new vehicle! Now I get to research Tow Brakes!!

Pam

Done! Thanks to everyone.

Went with the Ready Brake Elite.

Had a pro shop do it.

Towed our first trip yesterday ~80 miles without problems. It was easier than I thought.

One thing-the shop installed a Fusemaster and hooked it to fuse #19 BUT it does not shut off the radio. I have an aftermarket radio and apparently it is not hooked to 19. I will turn off the radio for now but should I do something about this?

2014 CRV

Pics attached. Is this how it folds?

giRakyKl.jpg

e8DjHt3l.jpg

I'm only a self taught amateur welder but if that was my rig I would be adding a gusset on that drop down hitch

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived