Tire Pressure Monitoring System Issues

dsimpson

I finally decided to replace my Tire Pressure Monitoring System and went with the TST 510 after getting some recommendations here:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=120264

I went through Dutch and Di and was very pleased with the service I received. When I started reading through the installation procedures, I was surprised by the differences between the TST 510 system and the Pressure Pro system.

On my old Pressure Pro system, when the installation process is initiated, a sensor, any sensor, is installed on the tire indicated on the monitor. Then the installation proceeds to the next tire. After all sensors have been installed, you are done. The sensor accepts the current tire pressure as the baseline pressure and the maximum and minimum pressures are preset around the baseline and cannot be changed. For both the Pressure Pro and TST systems, all tires must be properly inflated.

On the new TST 510, a 4 digit code, read from the individual sensors, must be entered for each tire position. This code and tire position must be written down to provide a guide when the sensors are installed. Then, each axle requires the entry of a minimum and maximum pressure. Then, the maximum temperature must be entered but the default can be accepted, which is recommended. Entering the minimum pressure may be a good thing because, each year, I had to remove and reinstall one or more of my Pressure Pro sensors when the cool weather caused the morning pressure to drop below the minimum.

When I installed the Pressure Pro sensors on the front wheels, I had to use a Dremel tool and grinding bit to enlarge the hole in the tire skin before the sensor would fit. The TST sensors are 2 mm wider than the Pressure Pro sensors as measured with my micrometer so I must enlarge the hole on the tire skin even further. Even then, the TST sensor comes in contact with a thick wire that circles around the circumference of the tire skin to brace and reinforce the skin.

The TST sensors are theft resistant and require a special wrench to install and remove. This theft resistant feature is appealing but no sensors were stolen during the 5 years I had the Pressure Pro system. Installation on the rear dual wheels is not going to be easy using the wrenches unless I remove the outside wheel. And removing one of these sensors from there will be even more difficult - trying to get that wrench fitted around the sensor is going to be a challenge unless I remove the outside wheel.

How have you dealt with these last two issues?

My sensors do not require an id code for each sensor.

In addition, I specified I did NOT WANT and would not ACCEPT the security devices. So I don't have those issues.

The tire liner clearances are simply part of the use of any device like this. I don't have the issues because I have aluminum wheels.

I REALLY like my TSTs. They perform much better than the PP did, especially the newer PP sensors which seem to be particularly flakey.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I have the Crossfire on my rear duals. Works great with the extra stems for the TST monitors. They do read different temps based on conditions. If the outer tire is in the sun, it will read a higher temp than the inner. Might be the same pressure though.

Being able to adjust pressure on 2 tires from 1 stem is great.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I found I was able to thread the 510 sensors onto the inner & outer wheels just fine. I reached in through an adjacent wheel hole & only used the wrench to tighten near the end of installation. I cut down the solid SS wrench to be just a bit proud of the end of the sensor.

I recently upgraded to the TST-507 flow-thru system. Its been over a year without issues on this model & still on the original batteries. I gave our SIL the 510 system.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

Installation on the rear dual wheels is not going to be easy using the wrenches unless I remove the outside wheel. And removing one of these sensors from there will be even more difficult - trying to get that wrench fitted around the sensor is going to be a challenge unless I remove the outside wheel.

How have you dealt with these last two issues?

I'd just get long stems for the inner rear wheel.

I went with the flow thru sensors for my 5er. I'll likely buy more sensors when I get new tires for my truck and metal stems all around, with long stems for the inner rear wheels.

I simply removed the security she'll. Very small Philips head screw driver required. Other than that, no install issues. This system takes forever to find the sensor once you start the vehicle. It has taken up to a half hour to find all 8 sensors on my truck and trailer.

I have the monitor hard wired into the electrical system on my truck and I leave it on all the time . I've left the truck for upwards of two weeks with no battery drain.

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

I completed the installation. I was able to install the sensors on the rear duals without removing the outside wheel but it was not easy. There was barely enough room for my fat hands and the wrench kept falling off. Maybe I'm just a klutz. I could have bent the wrench for a tighter fit. But I took comfort in knowing that the casual thief will not be able to remove them. I enlarged the holes in the front tire skins. This was pretty easy since the skins are plastic and not metal and I had a dremel tool with a drum sanding bit.

My latest tire incident occurred recently on highway SR 28 between Salmon, ID and Rexburg, ID, out in the middle of nowhere, no cell phone service, no shoulder to pull off the road and I am towing. The Pressure Pro monitor indicated a leak on an inner dual rear wheel and the pressure is dropping fast. I limped to the next turn-out at 20 mph and discovered that the problem was the sensor itself. It was leaking air. I didn't discover this until I installed the spare, put the sensor on the spare, and noticed the same problem with the spare. I was able to quickly remove the sensor from the spare before too much air leaked out. Otherwise, I would have had two flat tires and been stranded for hours waiting for a service truck (no cell phone service, remember?). That's why I am so concerned with how easily and quickly I could remove a TST sensor. This was the second Pressure Pro sensor that had a problem with air leaks.

I simply removed the security she'll. Very small Philips head screw driver required. Other than that, no install issues. This system takes forever to find the sensor once you start the vehicle. It has taken up to a half hour to find all 8 sensors on my truck and trailer.

I have the monitor hard wired into the electrical system on my truck and I leave it on all the time . I've left the truck for upwards of two weeks with no battery drain.

Just wanted to make 2 comments.

The 507 system has the sensors where the outer shell can be removed. The 510 that Doug bought has sealed & completely waterproof sensors so there is no taking anything off.

If your system is taking that long to "find" the sensors, you may want to consider getting a repeater. We decided to add a repeater when we bought our 2015 Ram 3500 because of all the "stuff" that could cause interference in the dash. The added bonus was the monitor definitely found the sensors much faster. I will also help prevent a sensor from just disappearing once in awhile. Just a thought. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

I completed the installation. I was able to install the sensors on the rear duals without removing the outside wheel but it was not easy. There was barely enough room for my fat hands and the wrench kept falling off. Maybe I'm just a klutz. I could have bent the wrench for a tighter fit. But I took comfort in knowing that the casual thief will not be able to remove them. I enlarged the holes in the front tire skins. This was pretty easy since the skins are plastic and not metal and I had a dremel tool with a drum sanding bit.

My latest tire incident occurred recently on highway SR 28 between Salmon, ID and Rexburg, ID, out in the middle of nowhere, no cell phone service, no shoulder to pull off the road and I am towing. The Pressure Pro monitor indicated a leak on an inner dual rear wheel and the pressure is dropping fast. I limped to the next turn-out at 20 mph and discovered that the problem was the sensor itself. It was leaking air. I didn't discover this until I installed the spare, put the sensor on the spare, and noticed the same problem with the spare. I was able to quickly remove the sensor from the spare before too much air leaked out. Otherwise, I would have had two flat tires and been stranded for hours waiting for a service truck (no cell phone service, remember?). That's why I am so concerned with how easily and quickly I could remove a TST sensor. This was the second Pressure Pro sensor that had a problem with air leaks.

Doug, I'm happy to hear you completed you install. It is hard trying to help, clarify or explain things via e-mail but I'm glad you are all set up. Should you need me, I'm available 10 am to 10 pm 7 days a week {pacific time right now} at 941-416-0918. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors

sorry-fast fingers make for a double post. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048

When I put the inner dual sensors on, I could fit my hand between the duals and tighten the sensor. The TST system will recognize each sensor when installed if you put the monitor in your shirt pocket then follow installation directions. Do not carry more than 1 at a time near your vehicle when installing to avoid having the monitor pick-up the wrong one.

I bought my first TST system from Dutch and Di in 2006(I think). I've have to replace sensors due to battery expiration, other than that it still works great. Don't need it now, I upgraded to the 507 truck system, which also works great.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I tried the PP, but was not happy. Am going with Crossfire before my next trip to Florida on all my Dual wheel sets. (I have six). I know it's not imperative that each tire has the exact to the pound pressure with each set but the closer the better I think. Ease of putting a gauge on them is my main priority. I check the pressure before each trip and at each stop I use my temperature sensor to check the temps of each tire. So far have found no significant issues so no need to check the pressure of a "Hot" tire. With the pressure monitoring system I got a low pressure alarm, stopped found the tires to be fine but stuck a gauge on one of the inside duals on the truck and the valve core stuck. The aluminum wheels and their tiny holes prevented me from being able to reach the core to change it out. (yes I had the tool and a new core) $100 later with the service truck coming to remove the outside tire remove the core and replace the tire I ordered steel wheels with real hand sized holes. Should have done the crossfire then, but my brother doesn't like them and he's my tire guy. Going to broach the subject again this morning.

Rod

By the way, the tire pressure was fine until the core stuck. Gauge and temperature are my pressure monitors. There isn't anything that will prevent a blowout if it's going to happen. Especially if you have checked your tires before and during the trip. My opinion. RL

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I had a tool for putting the inner dual PressurePro sensors on the Volvo. It is made with 1" PVC pipe and a 1" PVC connector. The connector on the end of the pipe gets a friction grip on the sensor and it fits through the wheels just fine.

The new Bounder came with high quality valve extenders.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Doug,

I'm glad you got it worked out.

I used Pressure Pro for many years, and were with them from the beginning. In recent years I had a LOT of trouble with them both leaking, and not "coming in" on the monitor. I tried ALL the fixes, over the course of a year or more. I never could get a reliable setup from the newer sensors.

The last straw was when one of the sensors caused a flat tire on my trailer. That is when I switched to TST. I have not had any real issues since....although one of my TSTs does leak a little (like one psi a day)....I'll put a new O ring in it before leaving here.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We have had both PP and Now TST no problems in any way with either system.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Archived