30+ft Cat5 on rv roof

4x4ff

I have built my own "wifi ranger" type of setup and currently mount the external portion on my ladder at the rear of my 5er. I am looking to relocate the antenna to my crank up tv antenna so I can leave it hooked up and just crank it into place and turn the power on. I currently have my internal wifi router in the living area at the very rear of my 5er. Unfortunately the crank up tv antenna is mounted toward the front. I was thinking about fishing the wire between the roof and ceiling but it would be a total nightmare so I am looking at running about 30' of UV protected cat 5 across the roof. What is the best way to secure it to the roof so I don't have to worry about it blowing off or coming loose. Would conduit be a better option? If no what is the best to keep the cat5 safe?

Steve

If it is any consolation if I just run the Cat5 on the roof, I am looking at coating the entire 5er roof with EPDM liquid rubber within a year or so if that helps.

2007 Pilgrim M378 SA4S-5

e9132d54-0b3a-4ebb-ae60-dd6b6d56e047_zps

CPE/WISP The second time I ran the Cat-5 Cable inside 1/2" PVC conduit to get it off the roof a 1/4" to let water run under it.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Look at this page for maybe a better view Solar

Basically the wire tie plates are between the conduit and the roof, and the conduit bodies connect to the conduit such that there is a gap underneath.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Unlike Mark, I prefer to just lay it on the roof. Puddles of caulk work well (appropriate caulk, compatible with your roof material). Just pressing the cable into it, and letting it set up, then adding a little more over top works well. And it is as permanent a solution as you can get. No need to do anything else. A puddle the size of two 50 cent pieces is more than enough. Every 5' is sufficient. Water will run under the wires between the puddles....they are not "water tight".

Mark's method does have the advantage of offering impact protection to the cable, and additional UV protection. But use of outdoor cat5e is sufficient for most situations. It will last at least 10 years on a roof. Assuming no physical damage.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I originally used Jack's method but I ran into water damming with the cables on the roof. That is why I went into using conduit to provide water flow space.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Archived