Dogs belong on a leash.

TXiceman

In the 3 years we have been full timing, while walking our dog on a leash, we have have been charged and attacked 3 times by large dogs off leash. And several times by smaller dogs off leash.

So far neither my dog or myself have not received an injury. Where we are staying for the next 11 days, we have been charged by two dogs off leash. I will go back to carry my old axe handle to protect my dog.

I do not understand why some dog owners do not feel that the rules apply to them and their dog. The rules are plainly written that dogs must be on a leash at all times and are not to be left tied out if the owner is not out with them.

The problem is not the dog per-say, but the stupid and ignorant dog owner.

I will protect my dog.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ken,

Those people who do not keep their dogs on leash are "special" people. The rules do not apply to them. Best thing we can do is to protect ourselves and dogs. Good luck and keep your eyes open. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

We stayed at a park a couple of years ago that handed out a notice at check in warning of a problem with "free range" dogs coming into the park from a nearby housing development. They even had to discontinue allowing visitors to leave garbage bags by the roadway for pickup due to the dogs getting into them. We did see a couple of them approach dogs on leashes, but at least they weren't charging or attacking when we saw them. The park was fenced on three sides, so I'm not sure what other measures they could legally take. I also recall a stay at the SKP's Raccoon Valley Park in TN where a dog from the adjacent mobile home park was making regular tours through the park, although I don't recall any altercations besides an occasional barking match as he passed by a tied out dog. I'm not saying no off-leash dogs belong to rude guests, but it is possible that some of them don't.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Ken,

Those people who do not keep their dogs on leash are "special" people. The rules do not apply to them. Best thing we can do is to protect ourselves and dogs. Good luck and keep your eyes open. Dennis

"not my dog it wont bite".... Keepem on a leash!!!! But like ill-mannered kids, you want to slap the crap out of the owners and tell them to wake up!!! Keep your dog on a leash it's good for you, them and me.

James

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

Ken, I carried pepper spray most of the time when walking Poppy. Only used it a couple of times. It works. I also have carried a retractable baton...but you have to be careful where you carry that.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

In the 3 years we have been full timing, while walking our dog on a leash, we have have been charged and attacked 3 times by large dogs off leash. And several times by smaller dogs off leash.

So far neither my dog or myself have not received an injury. Where we are staying for the next 11 days, we have been charged by two dogs off leash. I will go back to carry my old axe handle to protect my dog.

I do not understand why some dog owners do not feel that the rules apply to them and their dog. The rules are plainly written that dogs must be on a leash at all times and are not to be left tied out if the owner is not out with them.

The problem is not the dog per-say, but the stupid and ignorant dog owner.

I will protect my dog.

Ken

And these 12-15' spring loaded extension leashes don't count. Most parks I have been in say the leash should be 6'.

If dog owners don't use the required leash length and use it all the time they and their dog should not be allowed to camp in the park. I have been charged when walking and riding by a camp site on golf cart by dogs on a long leash. It is very scary and should not be allowed to happen.

Dog owners please wake up and manage your dog properly for the benefit of all of us and your dog.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

We have been in several parks where free roaming dogs and cats are from out side the park. In every case we havevrepoeted it to office who called animal control Please don't paint every one with the same brush. Frankly we have rarely seen a campers dog off leash

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

No, the problem of dogs off leash is fairly rare, but when you full time, the odds of finding these irresponsible owners increases.

One park we were at in Alabama where we had an issue with a large off leash dog trying to attack my dog, the park owner put the people out of the park that day. They had been warned one other time. These people were long term residents, but they were kicked out.

AS a result of these attacks, my dog has become less friendly toward other dogs. She loves people and especially kids.

Where most dogs get nervous about too may kids petting them, she has had as many as 5 kids around her, all petting. She loves the attention.

Abby is on a retractable leash, but it is kept short and locked with her at my side when walking. When we get to a spot to do her business, she is allowed to go out on the longer leash. Then back at my side to walk.

I will stop today and get some pepper spray.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Howdy!

It's hard for me to recall a park we have stayed at that everyone does abide by the leash pet rule. I'm not talking about roaming dog coming into the park. The most we see is pet owners setting outside with there dogs off leash thinking they can control them. It never fails when us are someone else walks by their dogs are up and running before they can catch them. Their response is always the same if any "I'm sorry". That's not good enough to for me. We even stayed in a park in Port Arransas Pioneer RV Resort that made you sign a document regarding the dog rules which we've seen other parks do. Our daughters pet was attacked by another dog off leash, when we reported it to the office they advised they could do nothing, so much for their signed rules.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Keep in mind with pepper spray - if your dog and the other are next to each other it would be hard to keep the spray away from yours, also.

We've used the spray while biking and it's very effective. However, we did the same route often and sure enough, that same dumb dog would chase us and get sprayed again.

We meet dogs on hiking trails many times and they aren't leashed. We've been jolted often by a dog running full blast at us. The owner smiles and says "he's just friendly". We absolutely hate seeing a dog off leash.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

A park we stayed in had a stray dog that was bugging the campers. County dog control was not often available. The owner got a "safe" trap, where the animal went inside to get at food and the door closed. It took two days, dog was trapped and the owner took it, in the trap to the pound. So park owners can do something about it if they will.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Instead of a collapsible baton, which jack has already stated can be questionable, or an axe handle with is defiantly seen as a weapon, carry a cane. They are an ADA device and can not be restricted as to where you can carry it. Shepherds staff ar Tractor Supply less than $20. Rubber crutch tip at Walgreens. No one can ask what disability you have that requires it. There is no paperwork required. You don't even have to be using it for support, you can just be carrying it. TSA can't even take it away. Look for canemasters videos

Ron

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I will start carrying my hiking stick when on my walks. That should not be an issue.

Ken

I carry a walking staff while walking my dog. It is highly effective against one dog, but when there are multiple dogs it gets more hairy. Best case, is get your back to something because they'll surround you and you'll not be able to defend all positions. Worst case, one of the dogs is going to get hurt or killed. I've been tempted to buy one of these stun canes

Rex & Karen

Libre y pobre en La Casa Rodante

Ron has a good point on the cane.....I don't recommend the baton for most people. Which was my point in my post.

The pepper spray in not a total solution. Wind and distance can be factors HOWEVER, it works pretty well and is useful for 2-legged pests as well, if needed. You just have to deploy it before the attacker is on you. There are inert practice sprays you can buy. Learn to read dog behaviour as best you can. It is usually pretty obvious if the dog is truly aggressive. You do not want to deploy spray if it is not necessary. Personally, with large-breed, aggressive breeds I don't take chances. But really, having a truly aggressive attack is very unusual. In my experience the tiny dogs are the ones to watch out for...and typically their owners are oblivious.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Fulltimed over 5 yrs and all over the country. Not one time was I ever attacked while walking my dog. This is a very rare thing indeed!

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

In most cases, the problem dogs are from the long-term people. I guess they think they live there and we are just visiting.

The little ankle bitters are not the problem as for attacks. But their owners seem to think that little Fifi won't hurt you.

We have a smaller standard schnauzer, about 33#, that used to get along with all dogs. But since she has been attacked by 3 larger dogs, she has become less friendly to dogs in general. I can't blame her though, as I have become "gun-shy" myself.

Last month I surprised myself when I had a 50# dog come at us snarling and when it went for Abby I grabbed him by the collar and completely lifted the dog off the ground and held it that way until the owner came out to the road to get the dog. He was not happy that I was choking his poor dog.

I really hate to see a dog harmed when the fault lies totally on the dog owner. It is the dog owner that needs the whack with the stick or the pepper spray.

How much is it to ask to keep your dog on a proper restraint?

I appreciate the suggestions of a spray or a walking stick or a cane. My old axe handle is going in the trash.

Ken

We got attacked twice, frightened several times. I have several scars on my arm from the second attack as a reminder that it can happen to me.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Our biggest issues so far have been from young kids that weigh less than the dog they are walking (read being dragged around) in a park. When the dog comes running over, kid in tow, they start yelling "He is friendly, he won't bite". That's fine, mine WILL bite. They don't seem to understand that someone else can have a dog that is aggressive towards other dogs. We keep Max in check and he is always on lead but he is not the most dog friendly critter in the park. Loves people but if your dog comes running up, friendly or not, Max will try to take a chunk of hide as a souvenir of the trip.

Unless you are very good and well trained, an ASP baton can kill or maim an animal (2 or 4 legs) but have their place as do walking sticks and pepper spray. Given a choice, try to use a can of bear spray or dog spray instead on the dog but make sure you do not use that spray on a person. Always try to use the minimum force required to stop a charge before escalating up the ladder.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I once used the same pepper spray that are is issued to Postal employees--it didn't phase the dog at all. I lost all confidence in sprays, but have been tempted to buy the bear pepper spray, but it would be my luck the wind would blow it back at me and my dog.

Rex & Karen

I once used the same pepper spray that are is issued to Postal employees--it didn't phase the dog at all. I lost all confidence in sprays, but have been tempted to buy the bear pepper spray, but it would be my luck the wind would blow it back at me and my dog.

That is the problem with any spray. You WILL get it places you would prefer not to. Well, at least most of the time. It is a last resort if you need it. A walking stick is a great idea but it is not effective unless you practice how to use it. Really, attacks are rare, but they do happen. And using appropriate force is something you should take seriously....

www.jackdanmayer.com

Where is the OP staying because I don't want to go there. After three years traveling full time with two, now just one, dogs we have never been "attacked" by a dog off leash. I have encountered several instances where an off leash dog has rushed out to greet us but never, so far, in an aggressive manor. Maybe I have just been lucky.

Most dogs are not aggressive towards people, unless in a pack, but I've had my dog attacked five times in the last three years. Fortunately, my walking staff blocked and diverted all of them and the dogs were not overly aggressive. The worst one was a German Shepherd--I turned around to see it just as it leaped in the air, growling, mouth open with eyes on my dog. My staff blocked the attack and, fortunately. it was submissive to me and backed off.

Rex & Karen

I live in the semi rural country where we all have five acres with woods in back and can shoot targets and hunt in our backyards. We have a leash law. I bought a spring operated BB pistol that won't penetrate cardboard and dogs will only get stung on the butt once to learn. If it is a big dog I have a .40 cal on me if the BB does not motivate them to leave fast.

However we had a problem with my FIL's rental tenant next door to his place several years ago. His tenant was accustomed to having his small children play on their swing set in their unfenced backyard. Two really big Rottweiler adults started terrorizing them in their own yard. I thought he was over reacting until I saw them approaching the yard with the kids in it. I chased them and found their home. Now out here we shoot dogs that attack humans. All it takes is a charge on our properties. So I went over to talk to the owner about his dogs trespassing and off leash scaring the children. He said that they could not have been his dogs though we both knew otherwise. So without missing a beat I said thank goodness because I almost shot them last time but was afraid they might be pets. Since no one else claimed them, they will be shot the next time they come on our property since they have to be DANGEROUS STRAYS AS WE HAVE LEASH LAWS.

That was 2003. Haven't seen them since. And the answer to the inevitable question is yes. I would shoot my own dog if she threatened even one child. And she knows and gets away from anyone that she feels uncomfortable around. She, and her buddy dog Skylar who just died in January, never leave pour property except to go to Home Depot, Lowes. Tractor Supply, Goodwill, and a lot of other places that I have been surprised are pet friendly as long as they are in arms, a leash and well behaved. Folks are always asking me where Maggie is when I have to leave her because I am going to some non pet friendly, like food stores justifiably so, when it is too hot to leave her in the car or truck. My pup is not just on a leash, but heels properly in stores and is polite in not approaching people who have not approached her or shy away. She loves going to see her buddies. Lots of folks ask if she is a "Service Dog," and ask if she can be approached. I tell them she isn't and go right ahead. She will not jump unless asked and gives all a few seconds of affection but is always eager to continue shopping and see some more new stuff.

While RVing Bogart was our pup and he was a full blooded beautiful Shar-Pei, who, at 60 pounds, was very large for the breed. Pics of him on my website below. He was the same and we got charged by the ankle biters who their masters did not even apologize for. I would hold mine back but he knew not to respond and just looked at them. The owners would come out to save their baby from the leashed dog being walked by his owner in the middle of the road. I have only once had a dog try to agress against me and I stood my ground with a pistol in his face waiting for him to attack or clear out. I have rescued a few strays and will call animal control as I don't want stray dogs around mine. Cats are my gripe. They need to be walked on a leash too. I like other people's cats. Just not leaving dirty paw prints on my freshly washed and waxed vehicles.

We have a stun flashlight, a steel collapsible baton, and guns. Hope we never have to use them because, as already said, it's the owners! Attitudes travel up and down the leash.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived