Dogs belong on a leash.

TXiceman

Big5er, it is plenty easy to lean the walking stick against your shoulder, pull out a bag and pick up the poop.  I love dogs and seldom have an issue with a dog.  The problem is irresponsible dog owners that do not feel the leash requirement applies to them.  In short, the problem lies solely with the dog owner not properly restraining his dog, so look elsewhere to place blame.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ken, I don't need to "place blame" anywhere. I do not have the issue you do...never have. For a while we traveled with 5 dogs. Never had an issue with any other dog. Now I only travel with 2, still have no issues. If having a walking stick makes you feel better, then by all means carry one. I don't feel the need. 

I live on a property with 5 trained guard dogs. I've never had an issue with them either. Dogs are very quick to sense things... maybe they just sense you and I differently.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Most dogs are not mean and will not attack but there are a few.  A few years ago a good friend was walking his hunting dog on a leash to his boat to go fishing.  A dog ran out from beneath another RV and attacked his dog. The owner of the atacking dog along with others finally got this mean dog off of our friends dog.  Our friends dog required 40 some stiches.  After the vet our friend returned only to find the mean dog and it's owner long gone.  We arrived the day after this so I didn't see it but he and I removed the stiches.  I used to walk our dog nearly every day and I have encountered a few out of control dogs.  Our dog was my cattle dog until we retired and was very well trained and would stay behind me on command.  A dobbie came running at us through an open gate and I commanded my dog to get behind me.  This dog obviously meant business.  I slowly backed away talking sternly.   Finally we got away.  A couple of houses down a guy told me I was lucky.  This dog had killed one dog and bitten a person.  I have had a few other encounters so I now carry pepper spray and often a tool at my side.  I have never had to use these but I am prepared if necessary. 

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

It's been our experience that most dog to dog altercations happen when they are on leash.  This is because they are protecting space around them/you. I'm not advocating that leash policy at RV parks be changed at all, just pointing out why they can be more aggressive on leash.  As for canine defense options, I think a sturdy walking stick is the best... mostly because it's actually functional to you 99.9% of the time you're hauling it around and it's not being used for defense.

• 2 months later...
On 8/14/2016 at 8:32 PM, TXiceman said:

I will go back to carry my old axe handle to protect my dog.

I'll be honest here. The "axe handle" I carry fires 9mm hollow point rounds. If a dog would attack my dog, it would attack me too. My blind old dog is NOT going to be attacked by canine OR human. I got this CCW permit for a reason.  That reason is protection, not aggression. God forbid that situation ever arises, but if it does, I am prepared to defend. Everybody just play by the rules and nobody has to get hurt.

• 6 months later...
On 8/15/2016 at 7:11 AM, TXiceman said:

No, the problem of dogs off leash is fairly rare, but when you full time, the odds of finding these irresponsible owners increases.

One park we were at in Alabama where we had an issue with a large off leash dog trying to attack my dog, the park owner put the people out of the park that day. They had been warned one other time. These people were long term residents, but they were kicked out.

AS a result of these attacks, my dog has become less friendly toward other dogs. She loves people and especially kids.

Where most dogs get nervous about too may kids petting them, she has had as many as 5 kids around her, all petting. She loves the attention.

Abby is on a retractable leash, but it is kept short and locked with her at my side when walking. When we get to a spot to do her business, she is allowed to go out on the longer leash. Then back at my side to walk.

I will stop today and get some pepper spray.

Ken

will stop today and get some pepper spray.

NO never use pepper spray at any time except ageist a human or bear. (very large can for bears).

for dogs. use apple bitters. (natural if you can find it).

works great. and does not hurt them. and does not stain or leave any residue on you, your clothing, furniture.

also when not used correctly, (and sometimes even when used the right way) the pepper spray WILL get into your face as well.

apple bitters, is used in a hand pump bottle. safe to use, (on any critter two or four legged). good to carry on a airplane, train, bus, etc.  across any border state or international. not so with most cans of pepper spray.

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/08/2016 at 7:11 AM, TXiceman said:

Abby is on a retractable leash, but it is kept short and locked with her at my side when walking. When we get to a spot to do her business, she is allowed to go out on the longer leash. Then back at my side to walk.

Y'all who are good dog owners, and keep em on a lead, do you let your dogs poop and pee on empty RV sites? Or right in front of someone's RV? Or on the plants in RV spots other than your own?  If you do, do you pick up the poo? Even at night? When nobodys watching?  Do you get it all? Even the little wet bits that get stuck in the rocks and end up on someones shoes? And do you realize other dogs like to pee and poop  on top of your dogs business?  And do you realize how much this dog pee stinks in the heat? Just a few questions for the dog owners and lovers who keep their dogs on leads. 

On 30/04/2017 at 12:20 PM, Ronbo said:

Don't most rv parks have rules that if the dog is outside it has to be on a leash, not tied to something? And don't you have to be on the other end of that leash?

Why, yes they do! Does it surprise you that some folks consider themselves to be above the rules? 

On 3/9/2018 at 4:31 PM, HomeSweetRV said:

Y'all who are good dog owners, and keep em on a lead, do you let your dogs poop and pee on empty RV sites? Or right in front of someone's RV? Or on the plants in RV spots other than your own?  If you do, do you pick up the poo? Even at night? When nobodys watching?  Do you get it all? Even the little wet bits that get stuck in the rocks and end up on someones shoes? And do you realize other dogs like to pee and poop  on top of your dogs business?  And do you realize how much this dog pee stinks in the heat? Just a few questions for the dog owners and lovers who keep their dogs on leads. 

If you can perfect a communications program for human to dog conversation, then I will gladly advise my dog not to pee or poo as we walk down the road. I have had that conversation with her but for some unknown reason she ignores me when I say "Oh no...don't pee there. Hold it until we get somewhere else". I have tried that phrase in both english and spanish . She doesn't seem to understand either language although in her defense my spanish isn't all that good.  If you are suggesting that I yank my dog off her feet by the leash if she squats where you think she shouldn't then you need to think again. 

I live in south Texas. I have never walked around a campsite, my yard or anywhere else and been bothered by the odor of dog urine on a hot summer day. I can not say the same for a corral full of horses or cows, but then I do not camp around corrals. 
The great odors is not a litter box, it doesn't hold the smell of animal pee until someone empties the box. But, are you aware that birds pee and poo in campgrounds, yard and on cars? Deer pee in campgrounds...and yes, even in occupied camp sites. Squirrels, raccoons, possums..the list goes on. Have you ever seen a trail ride? There is all sorts of other nastiness on the ground too. Tobacco chewers spit on the ground, for that matter non tobacco users spit, on occasion. Children throw up, drinks get spilled and food gets dropped and rots. I won't tell you what homeless people do on the sidewalks and they usually just leave it. I watched a Good Sam rally in Kansas folding up last year. One camper walked over to the faucet after he unhooked his drinking hose and stuck his sewer hose up to it to rinse it out. There is even fecal matter on our public beaches. If you are so worried about "the little wet bits that get stuck in the rocks" then I would suggest you take your shoes off at the door because there is a lot more on the ground than a little bit of doggie poo. You might wanna spray some bleach on the water faucet before you connect your drinking hose too. 

BTW: You are aware that you can "multi" quote posts, so you can make one post and not three, right? 

2014 smart Fortwo

Holy TOLEDO!!! Aren't we fortunate that there are no horses cows camels and elephants running through the RV parks? !!  😁

I wasn't aware, nor do I know how to multi quote, so sorry you didn't like the way I posted separate ideas separately. I'll see if I can fix that for you. 

1 hour ago, HomeSweetRV said:

Holy TOLEDO!!! Aren't we fortunate that there are no horses cows camels and elephants running through the RV parks? !!  😁

I haven't seen any cows, camels, or elephants in the parks we frequent, but these beauties were our neighbors at Alafia River State Park near Lithia, FL a couple of weeks ago.

IX3gvYHl.jpg

YOg94Uhl.jpg

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:16 PM, Big5er said:

If you can perfect a communications program for human to dog conversation, then I will gladly advise my dog not to pee or poo as we walk down the road. I have had that conversation with her but for some unknown reason she ignores me when I say "Oh no...don't pee there. Hold it until we get somewhere else". I have tried that phrase in both english and spanish . She doesn't seem to understand either language although in her defense my spanish isn't all that good.  If you are suggesting that I yank my dog off her feet by the leash if she squats where you think she shouldn't then you need to think again. .......CUT........ 

BTW: You are aware that you can "multi" quote posts, so you can make one post and not three, right? 

I wasn't going to comment to such an old post, was just getting a kick out of reading it.....but

As a retired K-9 handler I experienced the issue many times where I had to control where my partner lifted his leg.  Not a good idea to arrive at the scene of a building search at 3am and I just let him out to go water down the closest squad car tire.  A responsible dog owner would take his pet (you notice I said pet and not family member) out of their RV and put them on a lead, put the dog on heel and walk to where you would like them to start spilling their load.  Unless you have neglected you pet and left them inside the RV for 10 hours believe me they can wait 5 minutes and walk a short distance to take a wiz.

I really don't care how dirty mother nature is to my camp site, but if you stand there like some idiot and allow your dog to lift it's leg all over my camp chair or my RV tire, you are just demonstrating that you have zero manners and are too lazy to properly train your canine.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

On 3/12/2018 at 1:01 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

I haven't seen any cows, camels, or elephants in the parks we frequent, but these beauties were our neighbors at Alafia River State Park near Lithia, FL a couple of weeks ago.

IX3gvYHl.jpg

YOg94Uhl.jpg

Oh my god...I certainly hope they didn't pee anywhere. That might smell.
Nice looking neighbors, BTW.

9 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

I really don't care how dirty mother nature is to my camp site, but if you stand there like some idiot and allow your dog to lift it's leg all over my camp chair or my RV tire, you are just demonstrating that you have zero manners and are too lazy to properly train your canine.

My dogs are both girls. That haven't hiked a leg on anything, but they will squat where they squat. Your trained K-9 is not my family pet. I'm sorry if my girls never received training (which your agency probably paid for, not you) on where it is appropriate to pee. They haven't been trained to smell narcotics, guns, bombs or attack on command either. If you and/or your agency wishes to pay for this urination training I will be more than happy to check with my girls and see if they would like to attend. 

2014 smart Fortwo

13 hours ago, Big5er said:

Oh my god...I certainly hope they didn't pee anywhere. That might smell.
Nice looking neighbors, BTW.

My dogs are both girls. That haven't hiked a leg on anything, but they will squat where they squat. Your trained K-9 is not my family pet. I'm sorry if my girls never received training (which your agency probably paid for, not you) on where it is appropriate to pee. They haven't been trained to smell narcotics, guns, bombs or attack on command either. If you and/or your agency wishes to pay for this urination training I will be more than happy to check with my girls and see if they would like to attend. 

Of course my agency paid for the training.  However, about 75% of the training is for the canine handler and not the actual canine.  Dogs are generally very smart and can easily be taught to do anything.  The hard part is teaching the handler (owner) of the canine.  If we are ever in the same CG for at least 2 days and you would like to devote an hour each day I would gladly help you train your pet to walk smartly at your left knee, stop when you do, and sit on command.  Then when you take it out for a break you will be walking it and not the other way around.  Dogs love to be trained because they love the extra attention.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

On 13/03/2018 at 4:54 AM, FL-JOE said:

I wasn't going to comment to such an old post, was just getting a kick out of reading it.....but

As a retired K-9 handler I experienced the issue many times where I had to control where my partner lifted his leg.  Not a good idea to arrive at the scene of a building search at 3am and I just let him out to go water down the closest squad car tire.  A responsible dog owner would take his pet (you notice I said pet and not family member) out of their RV and put them on a lead, put the dog on heel and walk to where you would like them to start spilling their load.  Unless you have neglected you pet and left them inside the RV for 10 hours believe me they can wait 5 minutes and walk a short distance to take a wiz.

This is what we are thinking as well. Never did any of my dogs relieve themselves while walking to the dog park on leash. And if they are in such a hurry, don't come next door to my site, just let them pee or poop on your own site, then go for your walk.  Nice that most people bring bags on their walk, but I've never understood why we need signs that say pick up your dogs poo. Who wouldn't know that?  One guy behind us put his dog poo in the blue bin for recycling, along with his plastic, glass and paper I could not believe my eyes. 

• 1 month later...

i guess that makes me "special"

my two rott mixs were trained to be hand as well as voice controlled.   when around "others" yes on leash. but away they were off leash. i did get them used to being around other dogs and people. so never had a problem.

but yes i do understand and believe most dogs and cats must and should only be on a leash out of the house.

in unknown areas and people they were on the leash. never had a problem. but tried to always set it up for a win-win. best for both the dogs, and the people.

A park we stay at in Mesa has a section for people that own dogs. The rest of the park doesn’t have to deal with wayward grenades.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

• 7 months later...

Old topic, but very interesting to read through.  We have two dogs; one will never be off leash in public, and the other can be off leash anywhere.  Every dog is different.  One is still fearful from being an abused and abandoned rescue.  The other greets 100% of people and animals of all types with a huge tail wag and smile.  There's no creature he doesn't want to love on.  And he doesn't mark, ever, while always staying within about 15' of us.  So he can be off leash safely.

On the other side, however, why is it that I've had to tell people more than once to stay away from our other dog when he's barking and letting them know he's not currently interested in meeting them?  He's on a 20' lead attached to the RV stairs, so he can't leave camp.  We camp in places where that 20' space is "ours" for that time.  Why do some people think they can invade our/his space even after being asked not to?  "Oh but I love dogs."  Well, if that were true, you'd also see that he's not happy with your presence right now and leave him alone.

Carlos,

Do you keep your dog on a leash in RV parks with leash rules, the one that you say "can be off leash anywhere?"

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV park, out walking, etc, ours is on a leash.  He loves people to death, thinks everyone owes him a good head rub.  Too many ppl don't like dogs, don't want them near them so we don't let him run.  And we clean up after them, no bombs for others.  No intentions of forcing doggie love on them, it's their problem.  Anybody is welcome to come to him, kids love him.  Where we live, he is never on leash, even on walks.  We are in the sticks and anyone close enough to get his loving had better watch out for his pissed off owner that does not like trespassers.  Anyone allowed on our place had better love the pets, otherwise it's not an option.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Archived