Toshiba Laptop Keyboard Issue

DJW

A friend of mine has a Toshiba laptop and as of yesterday he cannot get on it because the "L" and "O" on the keyboard have stopped working. To compond the problem his password has both an L and a O in it which does not allow him to sign in/on. He has windows 10 on it and I am not sure if he has the Anniv addition or not. Nothing that he is aware of has been spilled on the keyboard? Any thoughts on a work around? Going through utilities (F2) and changing the password? I guess it is possible that the touch pad under the L & O has gone bad maybe? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

He can try and remove the key and clean with some alcohol but if that does not help, a replacement keyboard is in order. It's easy to replace. There are lots of Youtube videos on both. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

He could try borrowing or buying a USB keyboard and seeing if that will allow him to get logged in.

Good idea. Gives time to get a replacement keyboard for the laptop.

I used a USB keyboard on the last laptop so I could have a lighted keyboard.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Try cleaning the keyboard. You wouldn't believe the gunk that will fall out from under the keys by just turning the keyboard over and gently clunking it on a hard surface. Not only food crumbs, but a paperclip, staple etc. Worth a try.

Pat DeJong

Mark,

I've been reading about keyboard issues and my Toshiba started acting up on just the s key. I believe we will see it fixed in future patches.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

You might check for a Toshiba option that automatic sets the Function key for those things like volume and then you have to use the Function key when you want to do Fn.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Mark,

I've been reading about keyboard issues and my Toshiba started acting up on just the s key. I believe we will see it fixed in future patches.

If your referring to OS patches, I doubt very seriously that you'll see a patch for that. I have used Toshiba laptops for many years and found this to be a common issue. Cleaning the keys, see Youtube, often helps for a while. But eventually I have always had to replace the keyboard. Also a simple and inexpensive task. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Chuck,

Thanks, could be. I have replaced several keyboards/ repaired broken charging ports, motherboards and even replaced laptop screens back when I had my tech shingle hung out. Toshibas are especially easy for those issues. I have put too much into these two remaining laptops but if the keyboard needs to be replaced I will. However I will wait a bit in case the many keyboard comments immediately after the update are software issues.

The good thing is that these two laptops, a 17" Toshiba AMD quad core A6 6GB 256GB SSD, and a Compaq Celeron 15" screen with 4GB RAM and a 240GB SSD, both laptops were refurbished by me to sell after I used them for test platforms. So I can wait a few months to see, unlike folks having issues with their main computer. I have four Windows tablets, an 11.6" ASUS T200 hybrid Z3794, 64GB/4GB RAM, a 10.8" Venue 11 Pro 64GB/2GB Z3770, an Onda Windows 10/Android 4.4 dual boot 9.8" 64GB/2GB Z3735 built with the iPad retina screen and case from China, and an 11.6" Surface 3 Pro i5 128.4GB. Two desktops, a 21" Lenovo All In One i5 1TB/4GB RAM, a 27" Dell XPS One 2720 i7/8GB/32GBSSD in front of 2 TB HD. and one Voyo Mini PC dual boot Chinese Windows 8.1 upgraded to 10 z3735, 64GB/2GB. The point is that only two had issues with the updates; The Compaq was declared by MS to not be compatible with the WAU, but runs the first version of 10 (1511?), fine. The other is the 17 Toshiba with several keys intermittently not working.

I post a lot about updates because of my very varied personal PC collection from various manufacturers and with various chipsets. We also have two Lumis 735 Windows phones that both just got updates. As well instead of Kindles we gradually found two Fire HDX Tablets that make excellent kindles and Amazon interacting devices, and liked them so much just got a third Fire HDX this time the 8.9". I'll keep my Windows tablets but admire the Fire OS, which is also used on out 3 Fire TV full size units.

The only line I don't do is Apple products. Just never found the price for entry worth the cost in learning curve and money, same as Linux, I am not swapping software. I do have an old perfect XP desktop set that I will try Linux on when all my other projects are caught up, next year likely.

Meanwhile we will see these growing pains with 10 through.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

and sometimes the keyboard just breaks. I had a key break on a wireless keyboard, wrote the mfg just for a new key, they sent me a new keyboard!!!

On my current laptop I have had to replace the keyboard once and now it is giving me problems again. It is a 3 year old machine, has had problems on and off the entire time. I elected to just get a new machine. I will honestly say though this is the first time I have had problems with any of my machines. I generally keep machines for 5 years and then plan on a new one.

I use my laptop a lot and I expect at least one keyboard and lid monitor replacement in the life of the laptop. I get a lot of distance from my laptops.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Coincidence. I took my compressor and holding each key to prevent being blown off I cleaned them and they work fine now! I wuz wrong! :)

Man the previous owner had some trash in the kb! All working again. But you guys had me checking prices for the kb!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived