Thread about volunteering at a Lighthouse?

coachmac9

Several months ago I could have sworn I saw a thread about volunteering at a Lighthouse...I want to say it was in Oregon but not sure about that. I also thought I bookmarked it but I guess I didn't!! If anybody has done this or can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. We are looking for something for the summer of 2017. Thanks!

I remembered seeing something about that too so tried doing a search. Here's a thread that includes a link to more information. It's a little older than you were thinking but it might be helpful.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=111586&hl=lighthouse

Judy LeMosy

2007 New Horizons Summit 38' / 2001 610 Volvo with Smart Car on bed

Oregon parks were great to volunteer with, but there are also several other agencies who have lighthouse positions and also in other states. If memory serves, Michigan State Parks also have some lighthouse volunteer positions. We also met some volunteers doing tours of a lighthouse in CA.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You might want to consider Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore in Michigan. We did three seasons giving the South Manitou Island lighthouse tours. For visitors it's mainly a day trip via ferry from Leland. There is also remote tenting done. We were able to leave our RV in their campground on the mainland and they gave us a historic home on the island to live in while giving the tours. We had to bring all our food for 10 days on the ferry as there are no stores on the island. We got 4 days off and returned to our RV and then the 10-day gig again. When we saw the ferry off every day at 4pm it was like the island was ours because the tent campers were far from us. It was an awesome experience. By the way, Michigan has the most lighthouses of any state. :) Both of us now have knee replacements. Perhaps a work hazard but totally worth it!!! We also gave tours in Oregon at Heceta Head.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thanks for the information!! That sounds incredible 2gypsies!!! Definitely would be something we would love to do but next summer we are planning on doing an Alaska tour and when we come back stay on the west coast for the rest of the summer so we are looking at Oregon and Washington because we also have family we haven't seen in a long time up that way...thanks again for all info...so many incredible places to see!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

We were going to host at Cape Blanco but it was closed due to some problems inside (Dec 20215). What we ended up doing was maintenance and odd jobs. Still well worth it regardless. From what I understand, the lighthouse tours may have started up again.

Heceta Light is usually looking for help in the late fall, winter months.

Either of these would be in the banana belt so weather is a tad warmer though the storms can be kick butt.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Thanks Dennis, by "warm" you aren't talking about our Texas "warm" are you??? I mean, it still would be considered cool by what we are used to...right??

Probably so. 50's as the high. Wife and I don't care for the hot temps of 78 and higher.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

You might want to consider Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore in Michigan. We did three seasons giving the South Manitou Island lighthouse tours. For visitors it's mainly a day trip via ferry from Leland. There is also remote tenting done. We were able to leave our RV in their campground on the mainland and they gave us a historic home on the island to live in while giving the tours. We had to bring all our food for 10 days on the ferry as there are no stores on the island. We got 4 days off and returned to our RV and then the 10-day gig again. When we saw the ferry off every day at 4pm it was like the island was ours because the tent campers were far from us. It was an awesome experience. By the way, Michigan has the most lighthouses of any state. :) Both of us now have knee replacements. Perhaps a work hazard but totally worth it!!! We also gave tours in Oregon at Heceta Head.

What a cool experience! Thanks so much for sharing the story here. There is such a dizzying amount of opportunity in the workamping world that the only way Im managing the overwhelm is by making a "wish list" of adventures. Volunteering at Sleeping Bear Dunes just made my list! Went through Michigan for the 1st time this summer and it was so beautiful.

We Volunteered in '05 at Coquille River Lighthouse in Bullards Beach State Park. It is right across the river from Bandon on the Sea, OR. We had a wonderful time! It was 'under construction" so the top was closed, but just to see the water, the river (I am from the Panhandle of Texas, so I have always been water challenged), the Eagles screaming around the windows being chased by gulls. It was great. We were there in the early spring so the morning shift was really cold, but we had a great time! Really enjoyed working in Oregon.

Coquille River Lighthouse

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

Archived