Registering a HDT as a motorhome in Georgia

GeorgiaHybrid

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/18/2023 at 11:55 PM, Danfreda1 said:

Did you buy the new horizon toy hauler that was on their lot? All white one, flex armor roof I think it was a 2007. 

No, this was from a private seller in another state.  However, we did drop the fiver off at the factory and they are giving it the "once-over" to make any repairs needed. 😊

• 6 months later...
On 5/5/2023 at 1:30 AM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Marty, Georgia has become a pain with our rigs in the last few years. If you are lucky and get a helpful clerk at your local tag office, they might be able to slip it past Atlanta and get it registered.

Most are getting turned down if the truck has EVER been registered as a commercial vehicle. In my case, we had a new truck, never before registered and a copy of the build sheet with " not for commercial use, recreational use only" stamped all over it.

That pretty much forced them to accept it as an RV. There have been a few others that got one registered as an RV in our county but the gal that was getting it done retired a few years ago.

Just keep trying and point out that the options they offer do not fit the intended vehicle use.

Hello GerogiaHybrid! 

I'm thinking of converting a truck with an ARI Sleeper to register as an RV. 

The truck is a 2023 Peterbilt 567 commercially owned and operated but not for hire as the company I work for owns it and uses it for private company transport. Do you or anyone have any ideas or suggestions to get the registration changed? 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, TMTransport said:

Hello GerogiaHybrid! 

I'm thinking of converting a truck with an ARI Sleeper to register as an RV. 

The truck is a 2023 Peterbilt 567 commercially owned and operated but not for hire as the company I work for owns it and uses it for private company transport. Do you or anyone have any ideas or suggestions to get the registration changed? 

Thanks!

TMT, I would talk to your local tag office and see what they will accept as a motorhome. At the very least, you will be removing the commercial hitch and replacing with a RV style fifth wheel. You will have an advantage over most as your ARI should be equipped with tanks, toilet, shower, kitchen and bed. If you don't have onboard power that will also accept shore power, you might want to add something that will work that way. That was one of the reasons that we went with a Carrier APU with the shore power option as I can either use the Carrier Generator for power or plug into shore power for heat and air.

There was another gentleman that contacted me several years ago with an ARI sleeper that his county would NOT register as a RV due to its being a commercial vehicle before. That is where your problems are going to rear their ugly head. If you can get it past the local tag office, you should be OK once it makes it to Atlanta.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime