House batteries

maggie blair

You want your batteries to be true, deep cycle batteries. If it were me, I would buy two, 6v golf cart batteries and then connect them in series. You may now have either 6v or 12v batteries and the first are wired in series while the second would be in parallel. If you are not sure, you can easily tell which you have by looking at the top of the batteries. See the pictures, first a 6V and second is a 12v.

US_250e_72dpi-thumb.pngUS_24DC_72dpi-thumb.png

Notice that the 6v has only one gang of three cell openings while the 12v has two gangs of three cell openings each, for a total of 6 cells.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You want your batteries to be true, deep cycle batteries. If it were me, I would buy two, 6v golf cart batteries and then connect them in series.

Agreed. Depending on the size of your battery compartment there may be some limitations on what size of battery you can actually carry.. measure first, but a true deep cycle battery is going to be the best option for a "house" battery bank. Marine batteries are what some call a "hybrid" battery. A cross between a standard starter battery.. like you would use in an automobile... and a deep cycle.

"Big box" stores like Sam's club or Costco sell a fairly inexpensive 6v "golf cart" deep cycle battery that is suitable. For full timers I would generally recommend moving up a class and going with something more like a trojan. They DO cost more, but taken care of properly will last longer, provide more storage capacity over the life of the battery and are generally more reliable.

Unless there is a specific 'need' for AGM's, or you're willing to pay more for the convenience of not having to check water levels from time to time, they are generally not worth the additional cost.

Just a general comparison... 2-6v "big box" deep cycle batteries will run you right around $160. Trojan class.. $250. AGM's... $600. Doubling that for 4 - 6v's (which is quite common among full timers) you can see the price differences can sting a little right quick. ;)

One additional consideration would be availability in the event of a battery failure. With "big box" batteries a single battery replacement of the same make may not always be available. Ie., the golf cart battery sold by Sam's in Florida may not necessarily be the same battery being sold by Sam's in Texas. With Trojan's or the like.. they will be available just about anywhere and a trojan's a trojan.

One other area where an AGM might be a good buy is if you recharge using a generator and have a high amperage charger. The faster charge rate of an AGM in that situation can cut generator run time so you have less stink, vibration and noise.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

The faster charge rate of an AGM in that situation can cut generator run time

Quite true. The lower self discharge rates (1.5-2% vs 10-15%/30) are a plus as well. They can sit for months with no need for "tending". They certainly have distinct advantages if the price doesn't scare you.

Even on solar.. with a system capable of producing sufficient current, charge times are significantly reduced.

With the way prices are coming down on LFP's though it probably won't be long before the choices narrow to deep cycle wet cells or LFP's over AGM's. B)

Maggie, if your batteries have lasted 9 years, you're doing something right.

Newt

X2! Maggie, I would buy exactly the same brand, group#, and specs as the old ones. Stay with what has worked very well for you.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Maggie, if your batteries have lasted 9 years, you're doing something right.

I believe that Maggie just recently bought the RV and those batteries are in it, but don't hold a charge. Who knows how long it may have been since they were last properly cared for and did hold sufficient charge? ;)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Wet cell golf cart batteries are known to give the most bang for your storage buck.Yes they do need to be check regularly and topped up with distilled water.

AGM batteries need less attention but need a slightly different charge regime. make sure your charger has the appropriate settings. Not all AGM batteries tolerate deep cycling.

Beware of batteries labelled leasure generally they are not really tolerant of deep cycling.

If anyone tries to sell you lithium based batteries be really really sure you fully understand the required very specialized charging and individual cell equalizing required.

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Quite true. The lower self discharge rates (1.5-2% vs 10-15%/30) are a plus as well. They can sit for months with no need for "tending". They certainly have distinct advantages if the price doesn't scare you.

Even on solar.. with a system capable of producing sufficient current, charge times are significantly reduced.

With the way prices are coming down on LFP's though it probably won't be long before the choices narrow to deep cycle wet cells or LFP's over AGM's. B)

Michael & Layne

Future Full Time DRV 5th Wheel Owners

• 2 weeks later...

I have personally used the Trojan 6v, T-105-RE (If you're really on a budget, the T-105 can be had for about $119) with huge success, plus the price is right! I got my entire 200w solar kit and two Trojan 6v deep cycle flooded batteries for about $850 complete. I used the great folks at Solar Penny, solarpenny.com, in Mesa AZ.

If you're just looking for batteries, give the Trojans a try. I'm at four years with this set and they're still doing fine. If there isn't a Trojan dealer in your area, call the main office and they can help you.

rtrvgbanner_1.jpg
http://rtrvg.com/blog/
2004 Coachman, F-53, 36'

• 2 weeks later...

Might want to look into AGM. They are more money but don't off gas.

Glenn's right ... ZERO maintenance on AGM's and they can be mounted in any orientation. Pricey, but when they say maintenance free, they're not kidding. I use Lifeline, but there are other good manufacturers.

2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF, 8K morRYDE IS, Disc brakes, 17.5" Hi Spec Aluminum Wheels w Goodyear G114 H rated tires

2016 F350 King Ranch DRW, 3.73, 4x4, Super Duty Crew Cab, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

26,760 CGVW

Archived