Need opinions on my domicile options

RMD3819

I have to maintain my Florida residency as I don't want to lose the Homestead tax exemption on my property.

To me this issue is of major importance since I'm pretty sure that most states require domicile there to legally claim that exemption. I suggest you get qualified legal advice before you make these changes. As several others have posted, there are many issues which can be of critical importance for some people, yet unimportant to others. If FL should discover you no longer domicile in the state it may impact your exemption. Under TX law that would cause dis-allowance if discovered.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 4 weeks later...

That common law marriage one surprises a lot of folks, if drawing a survivor's retirement and under some age limit you can be suddenly be declared married. Surprise, your retirement is gone, worse it is usually not recoverable.

Can you expand on that? Any common law marriage requires an element of "holding out as married" and an agreement to be married (although the agreement can be inferred from your actions). That means that it's pretty hard to be declared married against your will, and certainly as a surprise.

The usual case is where people pick and choose when they want to be considered married, like if they file a tax return as a married couple but for other purposes claim not to be married. They will carp about being "suddenly declared married," but it's actually based on their prior actions.

Blues, The legal details are fuzzy now, 20 plus years after the fact but our lawyer at the time assured us that if we were living together, shared our "home," vehicles and such it could happen. Yes there were things we could do to lower the risk but not eliminate it as far as we and our lawyer could see.

Your situation may be different but in our case ending up being treated as married would have been a disaster to our retirement income and medical care. It would also have been irreversible so we didn't want to play games with the situation and picked a state where it wasn't a problem.

Find a good lawyer, pay him what he asks and then either take or ignore his advice, that is what we did. You may be better able to tolerate the risk or think the odds of a problem are low enough but for us a few bucks more for mail versus needing to go back to work if we got bit was a no brainer.

Yes, we are quite conservative and risk adverse but the cost of that is low compared to many of the things we see folks doing to save a couple bucks. If asked for advice we always stick to what we would do and if folks are bent on pushing the rules we advise them to be prepared if things go wrong. If you want to push the limits there are plenty of others to offer advice on going that direction and we'll hope it works out for you.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

• 2 months later...

good news with house under contract.. now for the closing then its a done deal..

one thought if you are buying a 250K RV and worrying about how much taxes you might pay or how much the weight of the unit will cost in one state vs another etc.. I would suggest you look for something less expensive, ie lighter weight, lower cost, in the 100-125K range and use the remaining 150K or to pay taxes and weight cost and go out FT not having to worry about money..

justsayin.

Update-

House is under contract and should close in two weeks.

We are signing up with America's Mailbox (the one in Box Elder). If anyone on this thread wants a referral credit DM me.

2005 Airstream Classic 31D , pulled with a 2003 F-250 7.3L, CrewCab with a Propride hitch for stability.

good news with house under contract.. now for the closing then its a done deal..

one thought if you are buying a 250K RV and worrying about how much taxes you might pay or how much the weight of the unit will cost in one state vs another etc.. I would suggest you look for something less expensive, ie lighter weight, lower cost, in the 100-125K range and use the remaining 150K or to pay taxes and weight cost and go out FT not having to worry about money..

justsayin.

House closed without incident.

Signed up with AMB. Very happy with them.

Registered RV and Honda (toad) in SD without hassle through AMB. Wife (surprisingly) agreed to sell her car rather than store it so that is one less expense.

After we bought the coach I was able to do SD vs FL insurance comparisons. SD was WAY lower BUT....the increased registration fees in SD offset that so it is about a wash. $648 for the coach yearly.

Bottom line: On the road FT now and very happy!

Note-Another thread here says there is a 90 day requirement to get a SD license after registration but I cannot find that anywhere in the SD DMV site. What I did find was a 90 day requirement to title and license your vehicles upon moving to SD.

Can anyone clarify?

Archived