Smart squalls when truck moves

LostSoul

So I loaded my Smart for the first time and about 10 feet into my trip home the alarm went off. Since I didn't know it had an alarm I thought maybe it was just scared. I put the key in he ignition and turned it on and that seemed to pacify her. Does anyone have any suggestions to quiet the evil spawn?

Mark & Jackie

Visalia, CA

USAF Ret

2011 Smart convertible

2014 Trilogy 3650 RE

2004 Volvo VNL780

Cummins ISX 530

13 speed

Pacifier req ??

We don't have an alarm I think... Bet it's a motion sensor. Maybe an ocertide

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Don't know about Smart alarms but, Mercedes will arm the system when locked. There is a motion sensor on the rear axle of Mercedes cars.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

ours has a button on next to the lock function. Turn the car off after loading, press the security button. This should disable the alarm. if we dont the alarm goes off as the smart thinks somebody is stealing it. i think the button looks like a smart on a tow truck.

ours has a button on next to the lock function. Turn the car off after loading, press the security button. This should disable the alarm. if we dont the alarm goes off as the smart thinks somebody is stealing it. i think the button looks like a smart on a tow truck.

So that's what that button is for? I'm a guy, I don't read instructions! Thank you eversomuch.

Fsu. University of shorts and flip flops? Nope I guess that would be the Seminole school. My bad.

Mark & Jackie

Visalia, CA

USAF Ret

2011 Smart convertible

2014 Trilogy 3650 RE

2004 Volvo VNL780

Cummins ISX 530

13 speed

I didn't remember seeing it either. But, it's there. I'm gonna call it the pacifier button. Pressing it is like putting a pacifier in a spoiled child's mouth.

Mark & Jackie

Visalia, CA

USAF Ret

2011 Smart convertible

2014 Trilogy 3650 RE

2004 Volvo VNL780

Cummins ISX 530

13 speed

I'm not even sure if our new smart has an alarm (both our previous ones did) but I leave it unlocked with the key in when we are traveling.

I want the trans in neutral with the hand brake on when the truck is moving, even though it is solidly strapped down. The key cannot be removed unless it is in park.

If we are leaving it somewhere unattended I hop up, take the key out, and lock it.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Dennis, what is the theory about having the car in neutral when piggyback? I put mine in park with the handbrake on....under the theory I want to inhibit potential movement. Do you think that stresses the trans??

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

That's the way I towed mine too. It can't move unless the straps get loose. I have them on all 4 tires. And I have no lock on my door except outside and then just on driver side. No button to press.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We put our SC in Park and set the hand brake. Never have had a alarm problem yet. By putting it in park and locking the doors it latches close the fuel cap cover so it won't get sucked off from the draft while driving the HDT. I don't see how the trans would be effected if it strapped down well.

2011 Volvo VNL 730

2015 Mobile Suites Dallas - Kansas RV Center

2017 Smart

2014 Smart...Looking for another HDT ride

2007 Freightliner FL60 Sportchassis

2008 Raptor Toy Hauler

2007 Dodge 3500 Dully 6.7 Cummins

2009 Heartland Big Country

Dennis, what is the theory about having the car in neutral when piggyback? I put mine in park with the handbrake on....under the theory I want to inhibit potential movement. Do you think that stresses the trans??

We put our SC in Park and set the hand brake. Never have had a alarm problem yet. By putting it in park and locking the doors it latches close the fuel cap cover so it won't get sucked off from the draft while driving the HDT. I don't see how the trans would be effected if it strapped down well.

Probably just paranoia. It's strapped down on all four wheels so there should be no movement at all, but I just worry about it wiggling a bit and beating on the parking pawl. Maybe habit as well since when I trailered tied down manual trans race cars I always made sure they were in neutral.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Everything I have read on parking cars on trailers says car in park or low gear and parking brake set. That is are for front/rear facing cars. There is a lot more stop and start motion on car haulers and my HDT than side to side.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

In park with the parking brake on is the way to go. The parking brake will restrict restrict movement in normal conditions, the parking pawl is not being loaded one way or the other. As Phil noted car haulers do this and with the Smart loaded laterally cornering would be the issue not stops and starts. Any vehicle loaded for transport should be secured to prevent ANY movement. I know most secure the vehicle by the wheels or axles, personally i like rigid mounts to the chassis as well. On open transport it is not a big deal, in enclosed transit with close quarters NOT securing the body can damage the car.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Hmmm, gu

Drift is correct about the fuel cap cover! Had to order another one for my 1st smart, when I left the key in the ignition without locking doors. Locking doors locks the fuel cap.

Guess I will be locking the doors....Danielle does, but I don't. So it depends on who "secures" the smart.

BTW, our silver 2012 is gone - replaced with a silver on black 2016.

I have to say, the new one is a great upgrade. Everything about it is superior. It does still have turbo lag on startup, though. But the cruise works well; there is no slowing down on the mountain passes; it is FAR, FAR more comfortable; seems quicker; WAY quieter; more space for passengers; WAY better radio (but not up to Phil's standards).

Downsides: still turbo lag; costs more; does not have as much rear storage (but close); still no real good power points; heavier; still no way to load it (I'll drive it on if I have to).

On balance, a great upgrade.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Congrats Jack. I'm jealous but for me it's not worth the expense to re-work my bed. After all, I have a stereo to support :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived