Redding ca to government camp Oregon

maggie blair

Travel route. I will be traveling from Redding California to Government Camp Oregon in early July. The GPS tells me to go up Highway 97 but the people in the RV park where I Matt are telling me to go I five. Does anyone have any experience in traveling Highway 97 verses I-5?

Maggie Blair

Up to you depending on what kind of highway you like to drive. It's 80 miles shorter via 97 to 26 but it may be slower because it's more scenic. We've driven the whole route of 97 and it's a good highway for RVers.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

It would be 80 miles shorter via 97 but perhaps a little more time since it's the scenic way. 97 is a good highway with a RV.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

. My only concern is that I am brand-new to RVing and I'm worried about holding up traffic if it's a 2 Lane Rd.

You have to learn sometime and there is no time quite like the present. Your concern should be to travel safely without undue danger to you or to those sharing the roads with you. There will probably be some drivers who are impatient with you, but it is not possible to prevent that and it really isn't your problem, so long as you travel at a reasonable speed. Even the impatient driver behind you was once a beginner himself. Just stay calm and drive carefully. :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Did those who are telling you to take I-5 tell you just how much "fun" it is to drive in Portland's traffic on I-5 & I-205 and additionally fighting all the traffic and stop lights on SR-26 once you leave the interstate. That alone is reason to take US-97.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Our rule of thumb is, if there is a route that doesn't involve an interstate, that is the route we'll go. In this case, 97 is beautiful and there are ample turnout to actually pull over and enjoy the views. If you feel traffic is backing up behind you, simply use the turnout to let them go by. You will not regret it.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Most of 97 is posted 55, except through towns where it is slower so assuming you are comfortable at 55 you will be travelling the posted speed limit. I don't worry about holding up traffic if I'm going the speed limit. There are also a lot of passing lanes.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

• 1 month later...

Archived