5th Wheel Shopping Again........

CrazyCooter

After 5 short years in the Cyclone, we are once again shopping for something different....... Since moving into a class 7/8 truck we don't have a need for the toyhauler/garage anymore and are looking to downsize at the same time as we are about 1' overlength with our current rig. The Cyclone is also a model that has the Ti cap and is keeping me from hauling my Jeep on the deck of the truck.

Next issue is budget vs. quality available. We're looking to get into something that might last another 10 years without falling apart with larger holding tanks since we boondock, larger refer but definitely not residential, decent brakes, and a robust chassis with heavier axles than needed that will stay together on CA's rough roads. This has let me to look at earlier Carriage, DRV, HitchHiker, and NuWay as rigs I can justify purchasing as an in between before we go nuts in retirement and get something way nice....assuming we are still feeling the urge to RV. A New Horizons would look pretty nice behind the Pete, but that's going to have to wait I'm afraid........

Over the past year I have been searching with the past couple of months getting pretty aggressive. Lots of big unit out there, but the 32-36' units aren't all that plentiful in our neck of the woods but I did find a 36' DRV Mobile Suites semi local and the price looks fair. Looks like one window might be fogged up from the pics, but the rest looks pretty clean.

I remember reading the Lippert built the chassis for DRV, but weren't the flimsy I-beam units that most of the affordable high production unit are. I did some searching and it appears there were also some pinbox area failures for the DRVs too....Now I'm having other thoughts.

Not much on here about these failures, so maybe they are isolated?

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

If you are looking for durability and strength don't pass up looking at Arctic Fox. They can be hard to find but do have 32' and 35' fivers. They build their own frames and build them for strength. There must have been a failure sometime but I've never heard of one. Well built rigs are their claim to fame.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

The Arctic Fox 32-5M is definitely on the list, but I have yet to find the model I'm looking for available used and the $86k price tag for a new one is about double what I want to spend this time around. Funny, after purchasing one new rig and the time/expense of setting it up within 5 years has really ruined the desire to do it again.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

You mentioned HitchHikers by NuWa so here's a link to Kansas RV Center (formerly NuWa) and their used HitchHikers inventory: http://www.nuwa.com/ Click on "Inventory" at the very top.

If you want HitchHiker owners info here's a link to the NuWa Owners Forum: www.nuwaowners.org

Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the link Greg!

All small refers and smallish holding tanks for the boondocking lifestyle. I think this is why I keep coming back to the DRV's......From all I can find, all of them have 100 gal fresh capacity.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Look for a used Champagne 36 to 38 foot. Our 2007 35LKRSB (36') has a 100 gal fresh plus three 50 gal grey tanks for black, galley, and shower/sink tanks. I believe all the Champagnes have the larger capacity tanks standard. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I've got a 2010 DRV Select Suites 36 RLSB for sale. I'm in Cali. Coach is in great condition with a genset, Michelin XPS tires, 3 slides, king bed and the rest of the DRV features.

Let me know if you're interested.

Marcel

DRV's Mobile Suites and Elite Suites all have box tube frames. On the Suite Owners forum, there are very few complaints about the quality of older units. They hold together very well.

Our Carrilite has held together very well as well. I have done 1 repair to a slide gear rail in 4 years. Also replaced the water pump. Otherwise, we have had zero issues with our 2009.

Add Teton and Travel Supreme to you lists.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

My Teton has been trouble free. Did replace an A/C but this is a 2003 unit. It was still working just couldn't stop it form letting condensate in vents. Upgraded washing machine. All the real wood inside looks new. It's oak also. If you go for one stay away from the last few years. They were problems with quality.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Check with Marsha at Spacecraft. They had a 34' show model 5th wheel at their shop a few weeks ago, I believe it was their 2015 show model. I think the price was just under $100k. It looked pretty nice. I think it had a residential refrigerator though.

On edit according to the specs online it has a Dometic refrigerator, looks pretty good size.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Did a 500 mile round trip today to check out a 2009 Mobile Suites 36RES that the salesman assured me was a really nice and clean unit....... Well he was fired last night and the rig was a total POS. It looked like it was lived in for years without cleaning or maintenance until the dealer got it. Didn't look at it real close other than looking inside and knowing right away this wasn't it. My wife opened almost every cabinet door and most were loose, didn't latch, and mounting hole in the wood stripped out..... I notice dents and poor sealing in certain areas. Probably should have spent more time looking just to see how they are constructed but if this one wasn't abused....I wasn't impressed. This one was located at a dealer in Peteluma and an asking price of $40k.....If anyone is considering this one, don't waste you time.

Next the salesman tried to show me a very lightly used 2016 Montana. I knew that wasn't what we were looking for, but went inside none the less.... Very nice rig and the price was right, but not confident the chassis would stay together long enough for us to get out money out of it.

What I did find out is we don't want/need a 36'+ rig! 30-34' will be just right and legal combined length!

That Spacecraft is real nice, but way above budget for this purchase. We're just too far away from retirement to be looking at an RV of that caliber.

At least the trip wasn't wasted.....Took the wife and rat dog to a beach camp spot I used to go to 30 years ago that was about 20 miles away. Good trip overall......

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

This is sad but it is rather typical. Most of these salesman get paid commission and they will do what they can to sell. And honesty, sadly, is not a high valve trait in today's world.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

What about Carriage? Other brands? I'm not loyal to any one brand, just looking for a nice, durable, affordable unit.

Found a bunch more Hitchhikers, but almost nothing nice under 35'.

So hard to wade through all the dressed up pigs.......

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

It would have to be $10k less than the asking price for me to justify the expense and taking that much time off work. Wouldn't be fair for either of us..... I just have to find something on the West Coast.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

CrazyCooter I flew all the way to dallas then to Nebraska to save around 15 to $20,000 Canadian on my HDT. I left on a friday morning and was back home by Saturday night with the HDT. Flights are cheap.

I have seen similar Cameo's go for 50,000 U.S + on the lifestyle/Carraige forum. My unit other than decals is in AA+ condition. Full decal kit can be had for less 1000.00 U.S by a fellow on the lifestyle forum.

At current exchange rates it would be arounf 30,000 32,000 U.S. With a tax reciept that will look a lot better than those prices :)

Just saying distance is no big deal when saving thousands.

Plus it all ready has a 4 inch receiver and 5 way plug that I had installed for double towing

I think that boarder scares U.S people off from purchasing here.

Paper work at the boarder is easy.

Kevin

Let me send you some pictures of the inside and out side..message me you e-mail

Them make an offer :) cus you will :)

The distance or border doesn't bother me at all....

The trip would be fun if I was retired or had a cush job with 2 months of vacation per year. The savings would pay for the adventure. Figuring $3-4000 in transportation/lodging costs for round trip to pick it up, flight/lodging costs for the initial inspection, and the biggest one.... Closing my business a minimum of 10 days to get this all done. Probably cost me $10-12k total by the time its done...... There are units within 400 miles of me for $35-40K and newer ones for a bit more.....and I don't have to take any time off.

Like I said, the price is right IF I was closer to ya! Believe me, I thought about emailing you for some more pics, but didn't want to waste your time.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

• 2 weeks later...

Had a look at the Arctic Fox 32-5M today and was really disappointed......Pretty much on par with every mainstream builder just 4 season construction built in standard. The welds on the frame looked horrible just like Lippert although they would probably hold anyway. My wife started opening cabinets and looking around a said no way within 5 mins....... We have had enough RV's to know a pig with lipstick when we see one......No offense meant.

Did also look at our first Hitchhiker Champagne...... VERY nice and could see owning one of these. This one is a 2010 36' which is a little longer than I wanted, but it's looking like in order to get the features we demand it's 36'+.

Getting closer to figuring this out!

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Archived