Good deal on Solar Panels at Home Depot ?

stevekk

$300 each. 265 watts. Free shipping. You must order 2 of them = $600.

Brand is Grape Solar. 24 volt.

I guess this a good deal considering you get FREE shipping.

Steve

LIFETIME MEMBER
2011 Born Free Class C
OR/ CA border

NEWBIE, so I have everything to learn !

I am hoping to fine some solar panels for about $0.60 per watt that is deal to me

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

Thanks for mentioning us, Glenn.

stevekk, please note that those are just the bare panels without the other stuff you need to actually make the system work (charge controller, mounting kit, cables, etc.). They are also big, full-sized panels (65" x 39") vs the typically smaller RV-sized panels (approx. 42" x 26"). Does your RV have roof space for two panels that big?

If not, both us and Home Depot sell complete, purpose-made kits for RVs. We can also build you a custom system with whatever panels you need, as long as you have the space for it. On a $/W basis, the RV kits cost more than bare panels both because they're smaller panels and because you need other components to make the system work.

In line with forum rules that prohibit advertising, I won't post any links here, but they should be easy to find on our website or you can PM me if you'd like.

Good luck with the project!

We sell ready-to-install DIY RV solar panel kits nationwide. We also do free custom solar system designs for RVs, boats, cabins, and houses.

Does HD have a veteran's discount like Lowe's? That 10% really makes for a good deal but doesn't always apply to sale prices.

----

WholesaleSolar, you can put a link in your signature (in the profile) and be within the forum rules.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Good point about Vet Discount.

$600 - 60 = 540/ 2 = $270 each for 265 watts.

Pretty good. Too bad I am not a vet.

THANKS TO ALL YOU VETS !!!

Also Home Depot has 100 watt Grape Solar on sale for $110.

So with vet discount brings it down to $99. And do not forget... Free shipping if you pick up in store.

And easy return if you are not happy.

Steve

LIFETIME MEMBER
2011 Born Free Class C
OR/ CA border

NEWBIE, so I have everything to learn !

Re: Veterans discount at HD. The last time I asked about the discount, they would no accept my form DD214 as proof. They "required" a VA card or a military retiree ID card. Well of course, active duty as well.

That is true of Lowe's now as well. I have don't know about HD as I don't like to shop them, but I have NEVER had my 10% discount not allowed for any item whether on sale or not.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Re: Veterans discount at HD. The last time I asked about the discount, they would no accept my form DD214 as proof. They "required" a VA card or a military retiree ID card. Well of course, active duty as well.

I've started to encounter this as well. Lowes actually checked my VA card to verify that it said "Service Connected" once, which was a surprise.

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

Personally, I think it is very easy to get caught up in the $/watt mindset but isn't necessarily the best "bang4buck" value to suit everyone's needs.

"Watt count" doesn't equal production and can't really be compared by the $ unless you're comparing "like" panels. By that, I mean that a 100 watt poly with efficiency ratings ranging from 8%-15% is not going to produce as much usable energy as a 100 watt mono high voltage panel with an efficiency rating in the 18%-21% range.

What TYPE of panels and available real estate should be carefully considered before comparing $/watts. It's all about production. Ie., a 600 watt array CAN outperform 1000 watt array. Say you paid $2/watt for the 600 watt array. The 1000.. you paid $1/watt. Then consider the additional costs to mount, wire, and control that 1000 watt array.

I'm not saying that either approach is necessarily "wrong", but each should be considered carefully before you start shopping.

That being said.. the HD deal isn't too shabby for 24v GS poly's. They are going to take a LOT of real estate and might be a challenge... but if it's doable for you.. it's not a bad price at all for what you're getting.

Grape Solar is a fairly new/small outfit (5 or 6 years old?), but they put together a good product. All of their panels are assembled in the U.S. with foreign components. By all accounts.. they have a very good track record.

I take that back.. "most" of their panels are built with foreign components, but they 'do' also assemble panels with all U.S. components on request.

That is true of Lowe's now as well. I have don't know about HD as I don't like to shop them, but I have NEVER had my 10% discount not allowed for any item whether on sale or not.

Here are the policies of each store, as stated on the company website. It is important to keep in mind that stores do not owe discounts to anyone but are doing us a courtesy when/if they offer one.

All military personnel and veterans are eligible for a 10% discount at all The Home Depot store locations during national holidays such as Memorial Day, July 4th and Veterans Day.
Additionally, the 10% discount is available to active and reserve military personnel, retired or disabled veterans and their spouses or dependent children, every day, upon request.
To receive the everyday discount, we ask customers to present one of the following IDs to verify eligibility:
Common Access Card (CAC is a standard identification card issued to active duty and reserve personnel)
United States Uniformed Services Privilege and Identification Card:

Tan - Dependent of active duty member or retiree
Red - Retired reservist and reservist dependent
Blue - Retiree
A VA Medical Center “Veteran Identification Card” (it MUST state “Service Connected”)
The maximum for both 10% discounts is $500 on a single-receipt purchase at The Home Depot U.S. stores only and cannot be applied to installation products or services, Gift Cards, special buy appliances or in addition to any other offers. The discount is not available for online purchases.
If you are veteran and do not have a service connected disability, you are only eligible on Memorial Day, July 4th and Veteran's Day.

Lowe's Military Discount

Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services1 and to honor Retired Veterans and VA Recipients.2 This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family3 of those who are currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.

To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:

Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card.

Or:

Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).

We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidays only.

The Military Discount must be used on personal purchases only and cannot be used for Lowes.com purchases, previous sales, or the purchase of gift cards or services including product installations. It cannot be combined with the Lowe’s Price Guarantee, or promotions such as "Spend and Get," "New Mover," "Project Starter," "Your Choice," or discounts such as Quote Support Program (QSP) quotes.

• 1 Armed Services — US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, US Marine Corps, US Coast Guard, or the National Guard and who are in active, reserve, or retired status.
  • 2 Retired Veterans and VA Recipients — Veterans who have retired after 20 years of service and/or those who receive VA Benefits
  • 3 Immediate Family — Spouses and/or dependent children (up to 18 years old.)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived