The REAL X-Wing: Nasa unveils 'megawing' X-57 Maxwell with 14 electric motors on its wing that could revolutionise travel

RV_

I've been talking about the investment opportunities in the now snowballing EV/Battery/Solar Cell/Storage/and energy production industries. Lots just a few years ago would never believe what has happened since 2008. The tech is getting there now.

Now the electric planes are getting serious post Solar Impulse success in around the world flight so far. This article as still pics of new planes powered by EV batteries that I was unaware of before now. All I can say is . . WOW!

Excerpt:

"The iconic X-Plane has been reborn.

Nasa today unveiled the first new plane is the series started in 1947 with the record breaking X-1.

With 14 electric motors turning propellers and all of them integrated into a uniquely-designed wing, Nasa will test new propulsion technology using the experimental airplane now designated the X-57 and nicknamed 'Maxwell.'

Scroll down for video

With 14 electric motors turning propellers and all of them integrated into a uniquely-designed wing, the X-57 nicknamed 'Maxwell' will test new quieter and greener aircraft.

Nasa Administrator Charles Bolden revealed the agency's first X-plane designation in a decade during his keynote speech Friday in Washington at the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) annual Aviation and Aeronautics Forum and Exposition, commonly called Aviation 2016.

'With the return of piloted X-planes to NASA's research capabilities – which is a key part of our 10-year-long New Aviation Horizons initiative – the general aviation-sized X-57 will take the first step in opening a new era of aviation,' Bolden said.

As many as five larger transport-scale X-planes also are planned as part of the initiative.

Its goals – like the X-57 – include demonstrating advanced technologies to reduce fuel use, emissions and noise, and thus accelerate their introduction to the marketplace.

The X-57 number designation was assigned by the U.S. Air Force, which manages the history-making process, following a request from NASA.

The first X-plane was the X-1, which in 1947 became the first airplane to fly faster than the speed of sound."

Lots more with pics on the website here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3647184/The-X-plane-Nasa-unveils-Maxwell-megawing-X-57-14-electric-motors-revolutionise-travel.html

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Where did you get that unofficial record? I must have missed it in the article.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

3176231800000578-3459160-image-a-62_1456

The X-15 took Nasa from supersonic to hypersonic, setting unofficial records for speed (Mach 6.7) and altitude 354,200 feet. The latest demos included advancements in lightweight composite materials that are needed to create revolutionary aircraft structures.
If you click on the pictures it is number three of eleven.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Got it, thanks. Saw the pic, scanned the verbiage. Thanks, that's fast.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived