Macerator

We've spent the last 3+ years living full-time in our 5th wheel, but have spent only since Feb 1 on the road with it. We are learning an awful lot, things we thought we already had the answers to!

We are thinking about the purchase of a macerator and replacing our "stinky slinky", as for 2 - 3 weeks we're going to be mooch-docking at some friend's house. I've never really paid attention when I've seen people using them, but they seem to be a good alternative.

I'm willing to listen to all pros and cons, or suggestions. I'll also read your ideas to Trish so we can make what we think is the best decision for us.

Thanks!

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

We had a Flojet mascerator for about 11 years of fulltiming - used mostly boondocking or in site without sewer. Pumped into a blueboy for transport to a dump station. Loved it. Was told by the seller (at an Escapade) to give it a shot of WD40 after each use. Also used it to pump into a toilet about 150' away for 3 winter stays at South Padre Island campground.

Ron

We had a Sewer Solution with our first motorhome. We used it to pump out at our house. We ditched the Sewer Solution when we went on the road with the trailer because the Sewer Solution needs a good volume of water to operate. Our rational was if we were pushing the limit of the sewer hoses we would also be near the limit on the water sources.

We did acquire a FloJet Macerator and carrier 225' of 3/4" hose for a few places where we stayed that the dump was distant and we didn't want to move the trailer to dump. That worked fine. We did use water to flush the FloJet but the pumping action was not dependent on the water flow.

We prefer to use the 3" hoses when we can, but the macerator was a real boon for use like at the farm.

You do need a 20 amp 12 volt power source for the FloJet. The first time we used it, we used jumper cables connected to the Jeep.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

You do need a 20 amp 12 volt power source for the FloJet. The first time we used it, we used jumper cables connected to the Jeep.

Being electrically challenged ... can the leads be attached to the house batteries on our 5er?

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

As a current pump user, keep a pail for use to empty the macerator discharge line. Pumping into an elevated vessel, like on a truck deck, means the hose will trap some liquid. I'm using a 5 gallon pail, with a snap om lid. using a tote, like a Blue Boy, this isn't as big an issue, as the hose can be elevated enough to drain into the tote.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

If you pump out your black, use your gray to flush the hose. Also put a shut off on the end of the hose. I prefer to use a stinky slinky if I have a drain close. Use the macerated if I have to move it any distance. We stay at a park in Plainview without sewer. Had a dump station. I park by the shower and run small hose to the dump station. I am able to shower and use washer normally. Only have to turn on pump when draining black tank.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

A few suggestions, use a 3/4" hose(sometimes called a contractors hose at places like Lowe's) instead of a standard garden hose, the pump will work better and generate less heat in the motor. Use adequately sized wire to run the 12VDC to the motor. The further away the source(usually a battery) the larger gauge wire will be needed. I found that a small lawn tractor battery carried right to the service center of the rig with a short run of 10 gauge wire worked better than a long run of wire to the rig's battery compartment. I recharged the small battery every third time used with a small charger. There is(or at least was on my unit) a slot in the shaft on the bottom of the motor that you can turn the rotor blades with a screw driver. Do that before each use to free the impeller blades. Crud dries and hardens on the impeller blades after use. If you don't free the impeller you might blow the small fuse located in the bottom of the switch handle. Buy some replacement fuses, I believe they are 20 amp automotive type. If possible try to pump down hill or on a level grade. If you pump up hill the motor will work much harder and get hot much quicker. Check the motor frequently by touch to be sure you're not over heating it. Best wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

We started by using a 10 gauge extension cord with adapters to connect to the house batteries and the macerator. Eventually I ran #10 wires from the batteries through a breaker to a plate in the compartment closest to the dump pipes. Short jumper to the macerator.

We never had problem with crud but we always flushed the FloJet to also clean out the hoses. We could pump about 12 feet up a hill with just one 75' 3/4" hose. We did that to pump grey water into the trees behind the barn. For the black tank, we pumped 275' on a slight down-hill run.

If you are setting up for a semi-permanent position, I would get some 1" PVC pipe for most of the run with hose fittings.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I prefer to dump with a slinky but got a macerator pump for times when we couldn't. It has worked well moochdocking and boondocking. I use a 3/4" hose and pump out the grey tanks after the black. Ran wire from the 12 volt panel to the hose bay where I keep it coiled out of the way until I twist on the flojet and hook it up. If the weather is warm I pause halfway through the first grey tank and finish it and the other grey after the pump cools a bit. Plan on blowing a fuse once in awhile if you don't check that the impeller turns free before you start. A squirt of WD40 to the impeller when finished sounds like a good idea. I like the added camping options a macerator pump provides.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I have a FloJet permanently installed, it can be removed if needed. I use 100+ feet of 1" plastic tubing with no breaks or connections with a couple feet of fall from the pump. My trailer conveniently has the house battery directly above the pump, I just clip the pump to the batteries. The plastic tubing I use is polyurethane ether. it is much heavier wall than garden hose and is not subject to kinks or closing up. It is transparent with a slight blue cast, I like that I can see the flow. The outlet end of the hose has a 10 foot section of EMT conduit with a 90* bend into my drain. The is a long radius bend to minimize restriction and it keeps the hose straight . My gray tanks 2 of them 40 gallons each take about 5~6 minutes to pump. The pump in this case never gets more than warm, you can easily grip the pump with no discomfort.

My trailer is docked in my shop and the drain 100 feet away was as close as I could get. With any distance between the trailer and dump a macerator is the only way to go.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

G'morning Raquel and Trish

It looks like things are pretty well covered here for you. After pumping I already had a fresh water hose attached to flo jet at which point Flowjet still running I turned the fresh water on and shut the valve for the 5er and let fresh water pump through the flojet thus cleaning it and the hose. You will notice that hair will get wrapped around impeller on the pump which will need periodic cleaning.

We used 5/8" x 50' and were pumping uphill about 2'. I plumbed into a 2" drain outlet at house by getting a 2" to 3/4" pipe bushing and screwed female garden hose fitting into the bushing for the hose to hook to thus a leak free connection. I would still get the 3/4" hose tho

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

One thing that was not mentioned is hair. If you have longish hair you will clog up the impeller shaft . it wraps itself up nice and tight then you have to take the pump apart or try and cut the melted hair off the impeller shaft.

I only use mine when at home.

Kevin

One thing that was not mentioned is hair. If you have longish hair you will clog up the impeller shaft . it wraps itself up nice and tight then you have to take the pump apart or try and cut the melted hair off the impeller shaft.

I only use mine when at home.

Kevin

Melted hair ? My hair when I got to close to fire just kinda curled up and died, I mean al-zappo disentegrated, Which kinda makes me think a propane torch stuck in by the impeller for 3/15 of a second should just clean them there hairs right off the prop shaft although an o-ring pick with a 90 degree turn in works pretty darn good plus it works for pickin puncture vines out of bicycle tires :huh:

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Archived