Stop Facebook tracking you across the web, change these settings

RV_

I actually changed my mind about FaceCrook and got on it but locked it down. Then I let my son friend me as well as my brother and my two oldest friends, and suddenly I was inundated! OK, I only got the account to be able to read some of the other pages and use the local for sale yard sale page. I have a website and do not care to engage in a college frat popularity contest. But I got this yesterday and finally went there to lock down any FB tracking and it was easy. I also locked down my account so no one can see anything but me. Ahhh, I am all but out again. I let my son and other family friends know and had them tell others that I was a Luddite and not to take offense. And that I am always open to personal emails, and F2F visits or calls.

The link in the article made this simple even for an unwilling and inexperienced FB member like me.

Excerpt:

"It takes less than a minute to opt-out of Facebook's new ads system.

Facebook member or not, the social networking giant will soon follow you across the web -- thanks to its new advertising strategy.

From today, the billion-plus social network will serve its ads to account holders and non-users -- making one giant push in the same footsteps as advertising giants like Google, which has historically dominated the space.

In case you didn't know, Facebook stores a lot of data on you. Not just what you say or who you talk to (no wonder it's a tempting trove of data for government surveillance) but also what you like and don't like. And that's a lot of things, from goods to services, news sites and political views -- not just from things you look at and selectively "like" but also sites you visit and places you go. You can see all of these "ad preferences" by clicking this link.

Facebook now has the power to harness that information to target ads at you both on and off its site.

In fairness, it's not the end of the world -- nor is it unique to Facebook. A lot of ads firms do this. Ads keep the web free, and Facebook said that its aim is to show "relevant, high quality ads to people who visit their websites and apps."

Though the company hasn't overridden any settings, many users will have this setting on by default, meaning you'll see ads that Facebook thinks you might find more relevant based on what it knows about you.

The good news is that you can turn it off, and it takes a matter of seconds."

How to do that, with links to the exact page you need to change go to the whole article here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/to-stop-facebook-tracking-you-across-the-web-change-these-settings/?tag=nl.e589&s_cid=e589&ttag=e589&ftag=TREc64629f

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I have Facebook pretty well locked down, just as I have done to Windows 10. What I find VERY annoying is that there are more and more sites that will not let me view content until I turn AdBlocker off. It takes a little work on my part to find the info I want WITHOUT turning it off, but most of the time I do. I think it is coming to the point where you will not be able to do anything on the internet without being inundated with ads.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Can you say 'Data Mining'.

I'm with you guys, I prefer a little less technology...... No Facebook, No Twitter, No Smartphone, just a plain old computer and dumb phone.... :)

Overbuilt from the Ground Up

05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

Thanks for the link, Derek. I have had a FB 'presence' for several years now, but view it as a tolerated nuisance... I have a daughter that uses it extensively to stay in touch with us. :D Beyond that, I try to lock it down. I think I will review my FB 'presence' using your link to see if it is as tight as I want it to be.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

I have FB really locked down in addition to the usual measures. The only account I use is listed in our (now passed away) dog's name translated into Dutch. Friends and family know who it is, but even the photo and birth date are the dog's.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I do have it set right now Linda. But it got mysteriously switched to public and I locked it down with the rest of the settings when that article reminded me. If folks get upset that they cannot access me because they don't know my email or other info it's usually intentional. It is pretty much out in the open here and on my website.

YW Jim!

What is Maggie in Dutch, Dutch? Danjewel!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I do have it set right now Linda. But it got mysteriously switched to public and I locked it down with the rest of the settings when that article reminded me. If folks get upset that they cannot access me because they don't know my email or other info it's usually intentional. It is pretty much out in the open here and on my website.

YW Jim!

What is Maggie in Dutch, Dutch? Danjewel!

Heh! Not much help there, Derek. "Maggie" in Dutch is "Maggie"... :blink::D

My dog's name is also a common spice that does translate nicely.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived