Doctor Medical Work on the Road?

Jim & Alice

A long time friend of mine, in his 60's, is a semi-retired ER Doctor, and is pondering some extensive RV traveling... but he would like to keep active-working in some manner.

Any medical folks out there with experience and/or advice to offer such a person?

Thanks

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

I'm a retired Army nurse and have known a number of people (both physicians and nurses) who have done the travel/work thing. Most have done it through an agency which will find the contract and take care of/assist with the licensure stuff for each state. (As active duty military, we worked on a "federal island" and didn't have to have a license for each state where we were stationed.) There never seems to be a shortage of positions out there - especially for an emergency physician.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Getting on the Veterans Administration payroll might work, they are always under-staffed and might look favorably on temporary help. I know the Yuma clinic rarely had enough Physicians, and when they did have one or two, they were usually on loan from somewhere else.....or volunteer at homeless shelters ?

'06 Elite Suites, '08 Softail Classic, '06 Softail Deuce.

We were volunteers with a doctor once in AZ who spent summers in AK doing volunteer medical work with the natives some summers and sometimes did volunteer medical work on reservations in the lower states. I don't know what sort of licensing he had to deal with.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Have him google "locum tenens." Plenty of short term and long term opportunities throughout the country. Numerous agencies but I bet if he were to ask some of the other docs in his current group/hospital if any of them know a good locums recruiter or of a hospital that use locums physicians he would get some solid feedback. ER shift opportunities are endless. .

Thanks, folks, for these suggestions. I have passed them on to my old friend to consider... he did considerable volunteer work back during Katrina, but that is a story for him to pass on. We'll see where he goes from here!

He's one of those that reminds you... 'There are good people in this world'.

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Archived