Starting out for a couple of years

rnsmth

We have been retired in the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico for over two years.

My mother is 86 and needs more, well, more. Two of my brothers, one 65 and one 58 died unexpectedly. I am brother #2, and my older brother's wife is involved. He died of melanoma at the age of 64. I am now 64. That relates to the story.

I looked at full-timing before we retired, but decided to move here instead. I have still kept up with the forums, though.

I am thinking of buying a motor home and spending March-late November near my mother's and the other months down south in warmer weather. She lives in Mid-Missouri.

So, if anyone wants to comment, I would like to hear your thoughts. We will have to cats about a year old with us :)

Most of us here consider the RV life to be a great way to live so you won't hear much negative about the plan. If you do this, choose your RV carefully as you will need one of high quality construction and finish in order for it to hold up well under constant use. The less expensive models of RV usually cost less because the manufacturers save money in building them by using cheaper materials and less in labor efforts. It doesn't mean that they are bad as there is a market for the lower priced RV, but they were not designed for constant use.

In addition, you will need to choose a place to use as your domicile for all legal purposes and it may be helpful to you to read this article from Escapees Magazine some years back about the subject.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Your plan would be easily done and your mother would surely welcome it. Since you've been living in Mexico for two years, what have you used for your driver's license/registration, etc.? Best of luck!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Roni, appears you know the mid-Missouri weather trends in that your plan would be to spend March though mid November here. An RV built for fulltime would generally be usable in four seasons. Sometimes the weather in Missouri can get cold in October and as late as the first of April where I'd want to have a four seasons rig.

If you looked at going full time before your current situation and now you are considering it again; there has to be a reason it's still on your mind. Sorry to hear about your brothers. Personally, when my parents died it changed my way of thinking about the future.

I'm sure you will make the right decision.

Good luck, Mark from Kansas City.

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

Archived