Canada and my Verizon Jetpack

I've read the previous thread and it pretty much pertains to phones. I own the (formerly Millenicom) Verizon Jetpack... data only. Just talked to Verizon and they said that my 20G plan is not eligible for their $2/day plan. It looks to me like I simply cannot use my Jetpack enroute to Alaska this summer.

Does anyone know that to be true, or is there another reasonable alternative. I figure, for telephone (voice), I'd just stop at a Walmart and buy a Canadian phone to use while in Canada.

Does anyone know whether I really know what I think I know????

Thx in advance,

Harold Fritsche

I believe the issue with the legacy Millenicom plans is that are not considered Mobile Share or 'The Verizon Plan' plans, which are the only plan eligible for the Travel Pass ($2/day) international feature. They were brought over as kinda their own special deal when they took over the Millenicom accounts.

T-Mobile really is a great solution for Canada, as they roam onto multiple Canadian providers. You can get a data only mobile hotspot from T-Mobile for about $80 (the ZTE 917), and then get a plan as low as $35/month that includes 6GB of data for us in the USA or Canada at full LTE speeds. (They have higher plans too).

Or you can find yourself an inexpensive phone to use on T-Mobile (since you mentioned picking one up in Canada anyway) and get a phone plan from them. I see some on their website as low as $99 for full price purchase. That would give you the hotspot capability, and cover your phone needs.. and give you a back-up plan while in Alaska to your Verizon.

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Look into Wind mobile in Canada. Right now they are offering a $60 plan with 2400 minutes of calling in US and Canada and 1GB data per month. If you are in a major town and are on the Wind home network data goes up to 10GB. In the US they run on ATT and T-mobile, not sure about Canada. The nice thing is the calling to and from US and Canada at no extra cost

I believe the issue with the legacy Millenicom plans is that are not considered Mobile Share or 'The Verizon Plan' plans, which are the only plan eligible for the Travel Pass ($2/day) international feature. They were brought over as kinda their own special deal when they took over the Millenicom accounts.

- Cherie

The "kinda special deal" has been interesting. First, I cannot get them to send me emailed notices of usage (it took 4 months to get the usage to show on the AC791L Jetpack). I've tried multiple times on line, in stores, etc and I still do not get notices. I've also noticed that in a few locations I see other Verizon hot spots apparently connected to Verizon (or a roaming network) yet my legacy Millenicom shows no connection. This is with a Sleek amp & WireNg antenna, so I don't believe it is a weak signal. Verizon has replaced the SIM a couple of times & it has made no difference...

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

Several days ago we arrived in Alaska after traveling through Canada for about 3 weeks. Our Verizon Jetpack (and phone) worked fine everywhere we had a cell signal. The Jetpack screen showed different carriers as we moved from location to location. While we have 2 phones I put one phone in airplane mode so we would not be charged an additional $2/day.

I felt the $2 per 24 hour period is a bargain as we only are charged for the days we actually connected to the network. Of course if you are going to spend a large amount of time in Canada, and are going to be connected to the network every day, then going with a dedicated Canada connection may be less expensive.

Our route through Canada was: We entered near Vancouver, came up TCH-1 and PH-97 through Prince George then to Dawson Creek and followed the Alaska Highway to Alaska. In every good sized town we had a good signal and we had good service. The Verizon cell coverage map, here, was accurate in showing where you can have your phones working.

The one place we had really poor data service (almost down to dial up speeds) was in Skagway, Alaska. However we discovered that when the cruise ships and their total of 3000 to about 8000 passengers were NOT in port the data service was very good. The cell network must not be sized large enough to handle the huge load from the cruise ships. Voice did work fine in Skagway, it was just data that was slow.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

The "kinda special deal" has been interesting. First, I cannot get them to send me emailed notices of usage (it took 4 months to get the usage to show on the AC791L Jetpack). I've tried multiple times on line, in stores, etc and I still do not get notices. I've also noticed that in a few locations I see other Verizon hot spots apparently connected to Verizon (or a roaming network) yet my legacy Millenicom shows no connection. This is with a Sleek amp & WireNg antenna, so I don't believe it is a weak signal. Verizon has replaced the SIM a couple of times & it has made no difference...

I get the usage for my ex-Millenicom 20GB plan by downloading the daily usage detail spreadsheet from my MyVerizon account and summing the counts. The graphic display there has only shown zero data and the monthly end date for the past few months. My 6620L Jetpack used to show the usage to date as well, but also only shows the monthly end date. VZW says they're aware of the problem, but have no ETA on a fix.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived