Water filter for drinking water only?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a bit concerned/paranoid about water quality. Canoe camping you pull your water from lakes and streams which is where I learned about filtering with a General Ecology First Needs. With our teardrop, all water is filtered and the new setup is a Dalton ceramic and a carbon block and if I am pulling from a lake or stream I use a General Ecology https://generalecology.com/category/portable/product/trav-l-pure_camper_canister

One thing to remember is there is a difference between a filter and a purifier.

One thing to remember is there is a difference between a filter and a purifier.

Absolutely true, but most of the RV community only uses water that comes from campgrounds and other "approved" water supplies. Most of us are primarily interested in removing sediment, taste and minor kinds of contamination as compared to that found in lakes and streams. If we should get water from those sources, then the site you link to would be better than that of the RV Water Filter Store.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, & highly recommend the Nature Pure filter system. We have the Nature Pure "Ultra Fine" filter system in our coach works great.

Here's a link to their site if interested: http://generalecology.com/info/test_data

Good luck with your choice & Safe travels.... :)

Jim & Sherry Seward

2000 Residency Mod. 3790

2003 Suzuki XL/7 4WD

• 11 months later...

Glad I found this thread.  Lots of different options/approaches here.  I'm leaning towards making a two filter unit (sediment + 5 micron charcoal), using the GE canisters attached to a simple board that can be located/secured under the trailer when hooked up.  I like the idea of being able to buy replacement filters at Lowes, Home Depot, or Wal-Mart. 

A POU UV Light for the kitchen faucet, our prime drinking and food prep source, is the other item I'm looking into.  These can be sensitive to hard and/or chlorinated water (scale build-up on light reducing transmittance), so having the upstream filtration is important.

I'd be interested in hearing which of these systems folks have chosen and in which power configuration - 120 VAC or 12 VDC?  Also, is the UV unit simply wired to a separate on/off switch which you just leave on while docked and pressurized?

I have used the Nature Pure system for over 18 + years for drinking, cooking and Ice maker from shore water or from the fresh water tank that I have never sanitized.

Nature Pure systems are independently documented to meet EPA guide standard protocol for microbiological purifiers against bacteria, cysts and viruses. Plus Nature Pure systems excel at removing chemical and aesthetic contaminants including herbicides, pesticides, chlorine and foul taste, odors and colors, for great tasting water on demand.

They now have a new filter system kit that is cheaper then the old style I have.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Lowes sells a great Whirlpool 1-micron charcoal filter that fits in a standard whole-house canister. They come in a two-pack for $15: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-Whole-House-Replacement-Filter/50331861

We use this to filter all water coming into the RV (turns dark brown water at our current campground into clear water!) For drinking water, we then use a counter-top reverse-osmosis system with a UV stage, then add mineral drops back in to the filtered product.

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/ro-counter-detail.htm

We've been happy with the set up so far.

Charlie

Full-time nomadic, self-employed Xscapers!

Not sure if anyone else posted this. But look at Berkey water filter. We have one and take it with us on trips. Will filter out a gallon or more. And you can take water out of a stream. And its good to go when done. Even take water out of a mud hole. And it will come out pure.

We also put the bottom filters in ours. its takes out all taste and chlorine while doing it. Not cheap, but water taste go good after going through it. Our City water is nasty tasting. But its like taking a drink of cool clear well water now.

It almost blew me away. When my penny pinching brother in law told me they own 2 of these. Bit on and the small one to travel with.

Berkey

Pete

event.png

On 5/30/2017 at 2:50 PM, freestoneangler said:

I'd be interested in hearing which of these systems folks have chosen and in which power configuration - 120 VAC or 12 VDC?  Also, is the UV unit simply wired to a separate on/off switch which you just leave on while docked and pressurized?

I went with a 120V unit because there were more choices . . . smaller chamber size, greater flow rates, and most important, a control module that tells you how the unit is working.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Perhaps a bit of overkill--

Campground water via hose to double large cartridge (5 micron sed then 1 micron carbon) then to city water input. Whole thing fits in plastic tub under trailer, travels in truck.

Second 1/4" line from filter output to 95psi pump to 75 gpd RO membrane to regular fresh water tank. System permanently mounted in compartment next to tank.

1/4 line from tank to lever/faucet on sink rim. All water for cooking, drinking etc. comes from tank. House system for showers, toilet, etc.

When travelling all water comes from tank, refill about 3-4 days.

Safe travels!

Bill

06 Carri-Lite 386KIQ

11 GMC 3500 D/A

"One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality" -Crazy Horse, 1874

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 0:50 PM, freestoneangler said:

I went with the 12 V system, one of the larger ones with 5gpm flow rating.  Mine is mounted in the water compartment, where I only had 12 v available

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the water rundown with some filter tests as well. Test results are shown in photos.

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2016/01/18/6035/

While boondocking at Liberty RV in Jersey I saw a lot of rigs using filters at the faucet hose outside. I wonder how good they are.  I don't have any interest in them. I bring bottled water to drink and use tap water for non drinking. 

Edited by slackercruster

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with Selah, We try to turn over the water in the FW tank every month or two. Either go dry camping or just turn off the water source and run off the tank for a few days, then refill when at a known good source. Tiffin puts the whole house filter after the FW tank before the cold water goes to the house. have left it that way.  Five years and no problems yet :) 

'12 Phaeton 36 QSH hauling '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon 4 down. Follow our travels Click here

• 4 weeks later...

If we have water filter at home definitely We'll have many benefits . For example 
CLEANER WATER
Put quite simply, not all the water you get is of the same quality. What each and every water filter will do is remove the minerals present in your water and give you cleaner, odorless water that is much more appealing to drink and use every day!

IT SAVES YOU A LOT OF MONEY
Some families are so discouraged from using their water they revert to bought water in order to fulfill their needs. For a one off payment once every couple of months, you get liter after liter of clean, crisp water that can be utilized throughout your kitchen, saving everyone more money in the long run.

THE CONVENIENCE
By having cleaner water that is much more satisfying of your needs, you are much more likely to drink it and utilize it on a daily basis. Instead of running around, trying to fulfill this aspect of your life on a daily basis, you can get glass after glass of water with little to no effort.

NO MORE STAINS
By using filtered water, you are much less likely to stain your kitchenware, from cutlery to glasses and this makes your whole kitchen much more appealing in the long run. Stained items do not go unnoticed to a homeowner, and this just removes that small headache from your life.

STOP FILTERING WHENEVER YOU NEED
Many people have put off filters because they seem like a binding agreement, once installed you cannot remove them from your tap. This is far from the case. Every time you wish to disconnect the filter and its abilities, often a small button push is required and your filter turns itself off. Simple!

• 1 month later...

Whenever you don't enjoy the way tap water tastes, however do like filtered water in a bottle, you may think to flip to a filtration apparatus. Dr. Stewart explains that you can not eliminate everything while contaminants'll cut out:

Using a filtration device for your tap water can help if you don't like the taste of it, as this removes certain contaminants, such as pesticide and chlorine residues. However, there are some chemicals that a filter cannot remove, such as nitrates and most home filtering systems are not designed to filter out bacteria or viruses.

Reference: kitbibb.com

We use an inline double sediment/charcoal filter for all water coming into the coach, and a secondary PUR filter attached to our kitchen faucet for drinking/coffee water, etc. We use PUR's "MineralClear" filters that reduce 71 contaminants per the NSF certification.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 1 year later...

I agree with Kirk W about under sink water filter. We have been used our filter for 3 years already. It was iSpring RCC7. Now want to change on Hansing Under Sink Water Filter. Our friends’re using this one. I searched the internet the information about it and  other models and found this page with rating of water filter.

What do you think, maybe it would be better to choose the other one?

That's where we got ours. 3 filter system jumbo units. Got the South of the border system. Have 5 micron first, 0.5 micron ceramic second (this is 6 candle filters in 1 carrtrige), third is charcoal unit. Our first two are cleanable. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 5/15/2016 at 7:57 AM, dzwiss said:

We have used an under sink filter with a separate dispenser spigot mounted to the countertop next to the sink for our last two trailers and found it to be excellent.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/DWStandardCanisters.htm

This is the spigot and canister configuration we use. It is the third one down on the page for $74.95.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/RCCarbonCartridge.htm

This is the filter we use KDF-GAC the 8th one down for $29.95. It's good for 10,000 gallons and we change it once each year since we only filter the drinking water.

We boondock extensively and always drink the water from our fresh water tank and seldom have taste issues with our water. We do use an inexpensive sediment filter when filling our tank.

We have a similar set up as we have, and yes to good info and help from RVWATERFILTERSTORE (We also got tire of Home Depot white Water Drinking Hoses kinking and needing to be replaced regularly. So 6 years ago, bought two different length of hoses from RVWATEFITLERSTORE too - good hoses, and good fittings.)

We use the Ceramic filter for our under the kitchen counter feed to the drinking water faucet spout. We change this out every two years. 

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/A1404.htm

For those who might camp in places with a higher need of water protection, adding a UV light into the mix would add another level of protection. (We've been planning on adding the smaller Acuva UV 12V system under out counter, for drinking water - just has not worked into the budget yet!).

Our Whole House filter is the F1Pb cartridge from Pentair. All water going into the coach for showers, lavatory sink, kitchen sink, and feeding our Drinking Water extra filter, route thru this. Changed yearly. (Unless we we feel a need to do so earlier, based upon unusual circumstances. We've done so a few times in the last 8 years.)

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/A1209.htm

As we got into RV'ing, we first would stop and by the 2 or 2 1/2 gallons jugs of water for drinking and coffee. And use the Blue Camco hose filters. Researching more as we went along, and knowing that some of our fellow Escapees have had problems over the years from unsafe water - we stepped up the game. No, we do not consider our current system full proof, but we feel it provides reasonable protection from potential bad water, in the places we visit. And a comment about the good advice from the RVWATERFILTERSTORE. I was reviewing my system, when the gent (Can't recall if it was David or Rick now:)!) made the following comment 'So, you never get water in your mouth when showering? And do you use your Drinking Filtered Water for rinsing your toothbrush too?'... Before then, I was just using a sediment filter to keep the crud from coming in, as our whole house filter. 

Water safety is easy to do, once you establish a process. 

A thanks from many years ago, to Zulu, who on a similar post went thru his approach to filtration... It was one of the key posts that had us pick up our game!!

Best to all,

Smitty

Edited by Smitty77_7

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

• 2 months later...
On 7/5/2019 at 6:05 PM, evanssophiya said:

I agree with Kirk W about under sink water filter. We have been used our filter for 3 years already. It was iSpring RCC7. Now want to change on Hansing Under Sink Water Filter. Our friends’re using this one. I searched the internet the information about it and  other models and found this page with rating of water filter.

What do you think, maybe it would be better to choose the other one?

I don't trust bottled water from unknown sources, so we filter the water from the regularly tested campground supplies to top off our fresh tank as needed. Our primary filtering is for sediment and chlorine taste removal, with secondary point of use drinking water filtering for lead, microbiological cysts, pharmaceutical traces, etc. The primary filter is a whole house housing with a Culligan D-20a filter rated for 1,000 gallons or one year, and our secondary filter is a PUR - the same as Dutch mentioned - rated for 100 gallons.

Not all those who wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

There are a lot of good ideas out there and we have done a couple of them and our own versions but what we ultimately did was buy a Berkey water filter for our drinking water. Here is a link to our blog post on it if you care to have a look. https://wp.me/p2Dund-49T

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

We have a filter on incoming water and a filter in the refrigerator for the ice and water on front of refrigerator. We do drink the water but I prefer bottled water or water from one of my deep wells that we take with us but when we spend the summer in the UP of MI we drink the water from the RV park. It is well water from a well near Lake Huron, also good water. When someone told me that some of those water tanks were made in China I really didn't want to drink water from the tanks.