Slide motor repair

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

My son owns a 2007 KZ Spree 28' super lite travel trailer. The trailer needs to be repaired to be more usable. This slide has the bed on it.The problem is with the rear slide. Water got in the rear of the trailer and caused the rear wall to become rotted in the left corner. The board that the motor mounts to has pulled away from the back wall causing the slide not to move. The board has also cracked in half. Has anyone made any repairs to there slides with this kind on problem ? Or is it better to have a dealer do the repair ? What kind of cost to you think that this repair could cost ? I am lost in helping my son with this repair. I am doing the leg work on this repair because of my son's work schedule.

All ideas are welcomed,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hi Everyone,

I am surprised that no one has a comment or too. The biggest problem in my opinion with a trailer is water damage. It is what caused the slide motor to pull away from the back of the trailer where it was mounted. Does anyone have an idea about cost ? I know that this is an open ended question. I would think an RV dealer will charge you on time and labor. The hard part of the repair is access to the area that needs to be repaired. It is in a small storage area that goes across the back of the trailer.

Open for opinions,

Al

It seems like a long shot that you might find anyone on this forum with that specific trailer and who knows about the slide out.

What kind of slide out is it? There are many slide manufacturers.

My current camper has a Schwintek slide out. There is an alignment problem with it. While investigating slide out problems, I've seen the number $1200. as a cost to repair - it ain't cheap.

Turns out that there is a KZ Spree forum: http://kzfamilyforum.com/board/17/spree

You might try your question there. . .

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

My thinking is much the same as Rich. It might be helpful if you could post some pictures of the problem. Also, how old is the RV and what size as it could be easy to spend more in repairs than the RV is worth, if it happens to be small and old. Water leaks are one of the worst enemies of any RV.

To repair in a way that will last you will need to remove all of the damaged wood and replace that. Be careful in the alignment of the motor when you put it back into position.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 3 weeks later...

From large to small, inexpensive to high end the best way to repair a structural defect of a slide is to remove the slide completely from the unit. This will allow exact alignment and ease of a though repair.

But if it is just a minor floor or ceiling patch, removal of the slide is not necessary.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Hi Everyone,

I have not been able to get together with my son yet. He has the keys for his trailer with him. His work schedule is some long hour days and even part of the weekend. I hope to get some photos to post. Only time will tell.

Al

I suspect that repairs for water damage and slide renewal will exceed the value of the trailer, if done at an RV repair shop.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Depending on the damage I'm sure it could be repaired. If your handy have a go at it if not how much are you willing to put in to it. I replaced the floors in the three slides in my fiver for under a $1000.00 would have been closer to $10,000 if a RV repair shop had done it.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

• 2 weeks later...

HI Alan!

Give me a call an we can discus your sons problem. I would call you but can't find your number.

KEN (roadfitter@msn.com)

I just happened to drop in here and found your signal flare.

HAPPY FATHERS DAY

KEN

roadfitter

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

Archived