Newbies-Couple of questions

bandg26

Hi! We are Gloria and Bruce of NJ. It will be Gloria posting :) We will be picking up our Forester 3051 in about 10 days. Bruce retired from Johnson & Johnson last week after 42 years and we are excited to get the RV lifestyle started. I am still working for Chubb Insurance, but we will be traveling as much as possible. In our "past lives" Bruce had a 5th wheel that he didn't tow, they were seasonals at a campground. I had a 33' bunkhouse with my 3 children and my ex but I handled the inside and really know nothing about maintenance type issues. We saw the Boot Camp being offered in July and are very interested. I started to register, but don't see a way to just do the boot camp and not the entire Jamboree (is that what its called?) I just don't have enough time from work for all those days. Does anyone know if thats a possibility?

Also, besides sheets and kitchen items, is there anything else that we MUST have in order to go out that first weekend after picking it up?

Any other suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Gloria and Bruce

Forester 3051 (Pick up in 10 days!)

Welcome, Gloria!

The things we'll be taking when we go to get ours will include a fresh water hose, sewer hose, latex gloves (for dumping), bathroom kit, flashlight, double and triple A batteries (remotes may need those), phone chargers and a set of basic tools. Beyond that, it depends a lot on where you're going and the facilities there.

Where in NJ are you located? We're in central NJ.

NJTroy, on 08 May 2016 - 12:11 PM, said:

The things we'll be taking when we go to get ours will include a fresh water hose,

You'll also want a gray-water hose for rinsing out the sewer hose after dumping.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I know that we will get a "starter bucket" they called it and I got them to give me a $100 store credit to upgrade to better grade hoses. We are in Hunterdon County, Whitehouse Station. We have reservations made for the first weekend at Ringing Rocks and Memorial Day weekend at Camp Taylor. I don't think we have septic at either, but can dump so we won't be getting any practice with hooking up to septic which I should've thought about when I made the reservations, but didn't. I guess we'll have plenty of time for that.

Gloria and Bruce

Lol Linda, thats for sure! Got them on now! Have many, many pairs. Will be sure to bring several for the camper. Can I still call it a camper or is that like calling a cruise ship a boat? lol

Gloria and Bruce

We saw the Boot Camp being offered in July and are very interested. I started to register, but don't see a way to just do the boot camp and not the entire Jamboree (is that what its called?) I just don't have enough time from work for all those days. Does anyone know if thats a possibility?

You do not have to attend the Escapade in order to attend RV Boot Camp, but you do need to get registered ASAP since the number of participants in limited. They are two separate events and there are always a few who do not stay over for the Escapade.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Not sure if these are must haves but it is a pain if you need them and don't have them:

Sheets

Pillows

Blankets

Towels

Wash cloths

Toilet paper

Paper towels

Cooking utensils

Pans

Plates

Glasses

Silverware or plastic ware

Bath items

RV tank chemicals

Fresh water hose, pressure regulator, adapters

RV electrical adapters depending on what your trailer will have 50 amp or 30 amp.

Leveling blocks or various blocks of wood.

Fresh water hose

Sewer hose and connectors

Butane lighter

BBQ grille and tanks

Folding chairs for outside

Food and favorite beverages

Wheel chocks

Flashlight

Rope and clothespins

First aid kit

DVDs in case no TV signal

Extra plastic bags

Garbage bags

Dish soap

Verify propane tanks are full

Bottled water

Clothes for various weather conditions, extra shoes

Umbrella or ponchos

And probably a few other items.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Lol Linda, thats for sure! Got them on now! Have many, many pairs. Will be sure to bring several for the camper. Can I still call it a camper or is that like calling a cruise ship a boat? lol

Generally speaking, a 'camper' is a slide-in unit for the bed of a truck. "Rig" is a good all-encompassing term to use.

I know that we will get a "starter bucket" they called it and I got them to give me a $100 store credit to upgrade to better grade hoses. We are in Hunterdon County, Whitehouse Station. We have reservations made for the first weekend at Ringing Rocks and Memorial Day weekend at Camp Taylor. I don't think we have septic at either, but can dump so we won't be getting any practice with hooking up to septic which I should've thought about when I made the reservations, but didn't. I guess we'll have plenty of time for that.

When using a dump station you will still be attaching the sewer hose to your rig, you will be putting the end of the hose down a pipe, etc., so it is VERY much like attaching to a sewer inlet at your site. In fact, it is prone to more disasters because there is usually a line waiting to dump and lots of people will be watching you. You might find that for just a weekend there will be no need to dump depending upon the size of your holding tanks.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Not sure if these are must haves but it is a pain if you need them and don't have them:

Sheets

Pillows

Blankets

Towels

Wash cloths

Toilet paper

Paper towels

Cooking utensils

Pans

Plates

Glasses

Silverware or plastic ware

Bath items

RV tank chemicals

Fresh water hose, pressure regulator, adapters

RV electrical adapters depending on what your trailer will have 50 amp or 30 amp.

Leveling blocks or various blocks of wood.

Fresh water hose

Sewer hose and connectors

Butane lighter

BBQ grille and tanks

Folding chairs for outside

Food and favorite beverages

Wheel chocks

Flashlight

Rope and clothespins

First aid kit

DVDs in case no TV signal

Extra plastic bags

Garbage bags

Dish soap

Verify propane tanks are full

Bottled water

Clothes for various weather conditions, extra shoes

Umbrella or ponchos

And probably a few other items.

Dave

Vacuum, mop, broom, garbage bag holder, door mat, WD40, slide lube, outside tables, slide seal protectant,tire covers, etc,etc,etc. Then you see some new thing at the store that you just have to have. Then you can't remember where you put something that you need right now, so you go buy another one. I don't think that I'll ever stop getting more stuff until I sell the RV

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

My Mom always told newbies to bring an empty jar with a tight fitting lid and a winter coat (in Colorado). She would not give details. But that first night by the campfire they often appreciated having a warm coat. And the next morning when they finished frying the bacon or sausage they appreciated having a grease jar.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Generally speaking, a 'camper' is a slide-in unit for the bed of a truck. "Rig" is a good all-encompassing term to use.

When using a dump station you will still be attaching the sewer hose to your rig, you will be putting the end of the hose down a pipe, etc., so it is VERY much like attaching to a sewer inlet at your site. In fact, it is prone to more disasters because there is usually a line waiting to dump and lots of people will be watching you. You might find that for just a weekend there will be no need to dump depending upon the size of your holding tanks.

Where I live, a camper is pretty much anything you see at a campground except a tent.

Different areas have different terms. Like some people talk about going camping. We don't camp - we RV.

And different types of rigs have different terms. Many people who live in conversion vans or tiny egg trailers say they camp because they live outside their rigs as much as inside--cooking, washing dishes, etc. Even those in big rigs, when they put our their patio mats, chairs, grills, etc., often say they are setting up camp even if they don't call their style of living camping. Camping is a pretty loose term so feel free to use it if it fits for you.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 weeks later...

Archived