M2 losing air

hemsteadc

Update: Not sure how much longer I should let this go. When I stop for the night I cannot leave it hitched up with the 5er front jacks down, because if the bags deflate, the king pin will be holding up the truck in the morning!

It's dropping to 50lb in just a couple of hours now. Sometimes the rear bags will hold overnight, sometimes not.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found it:

truckair.jpg

This is the jct box near the rear axle. The leak is bad enough I'm going to 50lb in just minutes, not overnight. I can press on that 'plug' thing and get it to slow down.. is there anything I can do myself at this point?

By the way, shaving cream doesn't work well at all for me. it just seems to let air through with no indication of where a leak is.

Why doesn't this topic show up on the 'recently updated' posts list when it's being discussed again?

Any idea what the inside of the box looks like? I'd try to get the "plug" out and replace the o-ring inside. If the fitting has no future use, try removing the whole works, and plugging further upstream.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I'm in Quartzsite for just a few days, and I'm not willing to start fixing stuff that I'll be taking a big risk on making worse. thanks. I was actually hoping to just be able to push that thing in, or twist it, or, heaven forbid, fill it up with superglue.

There's an Empire truck place in Blythe.. I'll see what they say. Thanks much!

It's pushed into a quick-connect fitting. On the body, there's a ring that needs to be pushed toward the body while pulling the plug out. The o-ring lives deeper inside. Any kind of sealer/adhesive should help, assuming you can get the plug out. If there's any line inside the box, it can be folded over a couple times, and held with a tight wrap of tape to reduce your air loss. Good luck.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

It has been a while since I used Empire, folks there were usually pretty good for repairs and such, could be a bit iffy for servicing though if you get someone in a hurry/lazy.

Some of the push fittings can be opened and the O-ring replaced, others you need to replace the fitting.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Quartzite ain't near anything. Well, it is pretty close to a whole bunch more nothing, but that's it. I don't think the dog even gets off the bus for a pit stop there. In another month, it'll be the wildest place in the west, for a month.

Please e-mail us here.

The only thing I'm able to do is push hard on the plug assy to make it stop. Another fellow just looked at it (once the shaving cream mess was removed) and said there's a brass fitting coming loose from the box.

That's a bulkhead union, I think. Tight to the box don't make no difference. I'd bet there's a short stub inside the box that you can free up to bend over twice, and tape.

Please e-mail us here.

Found it:

truckair.jpg

This is the jct box near the rear axle. The leak is bad enough I'm going to 50lb in just minutes, not overnight. I can press on that 'plug' thing and get it to slow down.. is there anything I can do myself at this point?

By the way, shaving cream doesn't work well at all for me. it just seems to let air through with no indication of where a leak is.

Why doesn't this topic show up on the 'recently updated' posts list when it's being discussed again?

That is the Air Manage Unit or AMU. It's a Freightliner part, nothing that SportChassis added. This is a modular system of air controls. I had one module that was not working that used the brake line pressure to provide the electrical signal to the brake lights. Anyway, the air connections are easily repaired if you can get to them. The SportChassis bed does not allow easy access to the Freightliner systems. Attached are pictures of the old AMU I took off. I can show the you how the connection is pulled loose and the o-ring extracted

Pic 1 - the old AMU

Pic 2 - close picture of air connection

Pic 3 - remove colored ring

Pic 4 - I use a dental pic to extract the o-ring

Pic 5 - extraction of o-ring

pic 6 - layout of retainer and o-ring

.IMG_1388_zpsjwfb2tvi.jpg

IMG_1389_zpsdahmcurr.jpg

IMG_1390_zps2qqckk2g.jpg

IMG_1391_zpsvfjjnszx.jpg

IMG_1392_zpsbydejdae.jpg

IMG_1393_zpsdwvqzn4s.jpg

2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2015 Keystone Raptor 412-TS
Lots of motorcycles and toys

Murfreesboro, TN.

Wonderful! thanks. One fella told me the brass fitting was coming loose.. not good. Yesterday I put a teeny bit of superglue along its edge. Air bags stayed up all night. I may have bought some time to get to the shop I'd prefer to use instead of anyone around here.

Archived