Oil change

aunut

In my cars, I change the oil(synthetic) at 7,500 miles or 6 months. Do I really need to change the oil in my coach engine every 6 months if I only put about 3,500/yr. And, will synthetic increase the time interval?

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

1. In my opinion, you don't need to change the oil with that few miles. The exception might be if your rv is new and still under factory warranty, you should follow their recommendations so as to avoid any possible problems if you have a claim.

2. I have always used a "good" quality "Dino" oil formulated for diesel engines, (Shell Rotella 15w-40, Valvoline) on our vehicles as I can't justify the higher cost of straight synthetic oil due to the lower mileage most rvers travel.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

I would suggest and oil analysis by Blackstone or JPL labs. They can tell you if it's OK to extend the change interval.

I agree with this, but base your oil changes on the owner's manual recommendations if the chassis is still under warranty to avoid violating this. Once ours was beyond the chassis warranty I went to using the Blackstone Lab recommendations. On our Ford chassis they stated 3500 miles between oil changes no matter what type of oil was used so I stayed with conventional oils through out the warranty, for cost reasons.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have changed ours annually since we purchased it 2 years ago but we didn't have service records. Last year we sent in oil samples, they came back great. This year we have driven way fewer miles so will go by another oil sample.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Changing at 6 mo on low miles seems excessive to me unless the vehicle manual requires it. If changing based on time I go 12 Mo on both gas & diesel. I use Pennzoil or Castro dino in all my gas engines, including 05 Honda at 120k, 02 Jag at 175k, 88 Mustang at 42k, and 67 Ford pickup at 60k. At least one of the cars gets changed based on miles rather than time. On 03 dp with Cummins ISC at 110k I use Rosella dino.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

I agree with this, but base your oil changes on the owner's manual recommendations if the chassis is still under warranty to avoid violating this. Once ours was beyond the chassis warranty I went to using the Blackstone Lab recommendations. On our Ford chassis they stated 3500 miles between oil changes no matter what type of oil was used so I stayed with conventional oils through out the warranty, for cost reasons.

2X; I would change my oil based on the oil analysis. I have been running my Ford Ranger on synthetic for 13 years with good results from Blackstone Lab.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

You should provide a proper link to Blackstone lab .

I doubt body building has little to do with motor oil changes . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

For my 3500 Chevy Diesel, I change oil every 5000 miles which turns out to be close to 6 months. I use 5W40 Rotella Synthetic and doing it myself cost about $60 with filter. I have 290k miles on the yard stick and get a Blackstone analysis every 50k. According to the oil analysis, I could go another 5k on a oil change. However, the 5k/6 month works good for me which allows me to check around the motor and do a complete chassie inspection and wipe down. The main cause of roadside breakdowns is neglect.

Greg

Speaking of oil, will using synthetic oil improve gas mileage? Has anyone used both and noticed a difference?

This technical article and accompanying replies will be interesting reading: Synthetic oil-isn't

Yes, it is quite old, but the information is enlightening.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I have extended my oil change interval due to the better oils available, even if not synthetic, and better filtration. I do send off samples to see how my oil is doing. I just sold my 1996 Dodge with Cummins diesel that had 1/2 Million miles on it, it was running great, not using crankcase oil. I changed all fluids on it at 25,000 mile intervals but I had a bypass filter system on the engine oil. I always used Shell Rotella T 15/40 on that engine. Of course that truck did not sit a lot. ;)

Southwind 35P

ARS KB0OU

EX Submarine driver

Archived