Pixel C and Android N: The future of productivity on Android

RV_

The Android N developer preview and the Pixel C convertible tablet are Google's reference platform for competing with the iPad Pro and Surface tablets. Find out what is in store for the future of Android.

Jack you may already know about these.

Excerpt:

"With the release of the developer preview of Android N, and a developer coupon code for 25% off the Pixel C, Google is providing developers an early look at the future of Android well in advance of Google I/O 2016—and with fewer barriers to entry than before. Users with a Nexus 5X, 6, 6P, 9, Player, Pixel C, or General Mobile 4G (Android One) device can register to receive an OTA update with the latest build of Android N, rather than manually flashing their device.

Perhaps the most visible added feature in the N developer preview is a splitscreen mode, allowing users to run two apps at the same time—a prominent feature of Microsoft's Surface and Apple's iPad Pro tablets, both of which are marketed as "productivity devices." With this feature being added to Android only now (save for OEM implementations, most notably on Samsung devices), Google is playing catch-up in a big way.

A brief history of Android productivity

In the Android ecosystem, there is a long-standing preoccupation with attempting to sell productivity as a feature. It hasn't worked out very well thus far—the Motorola Webtop was a revolutionary "dockable Android" that converted into a theoretically usable desktop interface. This was limited by the relative lack of processing power and RAM available to smartphones at the time, like the Droid Razr Maxx, and was swiftly discontinued after Google bought Motorola. Other peculiar-though-unique attempts at productivity devices include the foldable Sony Tablet P and pico-projector wielding Samsung Galaxy Beam.

While the aforementioned phones are now roughly four years old, it is also worth mentioning the checkered past of Android on full-size tablets. Motorola Xoom, the first true Android tablet, had only 19 months' worth of version updates. The Nexus 10 fared much better, though the vaguely oval device shape was never seen again. The Nexus 9 got great reviews from CNET, though early models had manufacturing issues that were swiftly corrected. Ultimately, this is all in the past, and Google's obvious message is that the Pixel C represents the future.

Pixel C and Android N: A splitscreen adventure

Although Android N brings splitscreen to all the test devices (counting picture-in-picture on the Nexus Player), the most obvious immediate beneficiary of this is the Pixel C. The unique screen ratio of 1:√2 (a resolution of 2560x1800) prevents splitscreen apps from feeling cramped, as opposed to the squeeze on 16:9 displays intended for media consumption.

Presently, the splitscreen mode allows the use of only two apps at a time. If you hold the Pixel C horizontally (or are using the Bluetooth keyboard), the apps are split to each side, while in vertical orientation they're split to the top and bottom of the screen. Although this is still only a developer preview, things tend to work rather well with Gmail and Chrome.

Best candidate for "Top Android Tablet"?

The Pixel C is a stunning device, and in comparison to its Nexus-branded forerunners, the most premium-looking Android tablet yet. The Pixel line is very much the "aspirational" reference product for Android OEMs to draw inspiration from. Conversely, the Pixel C is also the reference device for Google developers to tailor the Android experience to tablets. The Pixel C is a malleable device—the promise of software updates about six weeks, as mentioned in the announcement in September, is absolutely being fulfilled."

The article there starts showing the screenshots and goes on to cover another several pages of information and reviews about the productivity efforts that Android is doing to keep an oar in the water, here: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/pixel-c-and-android-n-the-future-of-productivity-on-android/?ftag=TRE684d531&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Derek,

Pixel C is "interesting" but overpriced IMO. If it came WITH a keyboard it would be more interesting to me. Also, as we have previously discussed the size is a little small. I prefer something around 11-12" (for the display). BUT, it is an intriguing product that solves the two biggest issues int he Android world. Updates, and multiple apps on the screen.

The biggest non-starter for ME is the fact there is no GPS. Which means no use for navigation. I do NOT want a device that cannot run maps....

I may end up with one, but the features will have to go up, and the price come down.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived