HDT RV Club.......Or ? ?

Dollytrolley

A few months ago I brought up the subject of a HDT Logo and a few forum members floated a few concepts by but then other items came up and so.......

Over the past few months we have been somewhat confined to helping to care for my memory-loss mother n law I have mostly just idled on and off the forum but two subjects seem to never cease to repeat........HDT registration (or lack of) and HDT RV insurance..........both of these subjects often are Rig / State dependent to say the least.

Recently that most foreign of countries .........California....... seems to have put the HDT RV on the extinct list........

Just spit-balling here but I was wondering........ IF the time might here or.....near when the HDT folks might need to band a bit more formally together or risk .......the spread of the dreaded Calf syndrome......

I do know that many Insurance groups love to hitch-up to clubs and give "group rates" so maybe we HDT folks could maybe obtain more "stable insurance programs"........maybe.....

Registration is still a state to state game with a HDT but folks like the FMCA have a ton more pull with a state than just a few isolated truck owners.......

Maybe the FMCA might consider a HDT sub-group.......

Something to ponder........

Drive on............(Who has the .....Logo)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Dolly,

Blue Sky actually sent a query wanting to know about our group and possibly coming to the ECR. I sent back a comprehensive description of what we do but haven't received any reply. That's been couple of weeks ago.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Dolly,

Blue Sky actually sent a query wanting to know about our group and possibly coming to the ECR. I sent back a comprehensive description of what we do but haven't received any reply. That's been couple of weeks ago.

Blue Sky has a max trailer cost of 150,000. I am with National Interstate that has my 5er at 165,000 and Volvo at 40,000.

Just some info.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Affinity groups are great for insurance and loans etc. There are likely enough folks with HDT's to start a group, the bigger issue is clout. With so few members in any given state, the law makers have little reason to listen. IMHO it would be a better idea to hitch a wagon to a national organization with some real clout. Perhaps the best idea, form an organization with all the governing bodies in place, then shop a larger group to be absorbed into.

A large advocacy group with a lobby and legal department would be the ideal "protector" of the bread.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

When I insured with Blue Sky in 2014 they insured our fiver for over 150,000. and our truck for way over 40k. Maybe something has changed.

<p>Gene & Colleen2009 Volvo 670 customized by Gregg RV Haulers, 2014 New Horizon 5th wheel, 2012 smart car on the deck. Full time 6/17/2014

Vmmonline.org

A few months ago I brought up the subject of a HDT Logo and a few forum members floated a few concepts by but then other items came up and so.......

Over the past few months we have been somewhat confined to helping to care for my memory-loss mother n law I have mostly just idled on and off the forum but two subjects seem to never cease to repeat........HDT registration (or lack of) and HDT RV insurance..........both of these subjects often are Rig / State dependent to say the least.

Recently that most foreign of countries .........California....... seems to have put the HDT RV on the extinct list........

Just spit-balling here but I was wondering........ IF the time might here or.....near when the HDT folks might need to band a bit more formally together or risk .......the spread of the dreaded Calf syndrome......

I do know that many Insurance groups love to hitch-up to clubs and give "group rates" so maybe we HDT folks could maybe obtain more "stable insurance programs"........maybe.....

Registration is still a state to state game with a HDT but folks like the FMCA have a ton more pull with a state than just a few isolated truck owners.......

Maybe the FMCA might consider a HDT sub-group.......

Something to ponder........

Drive on............(Who has the .....Logo)

I would interested in joining a National, 50 State, HDT group.

Has anyone contacted FMCA to get their input of a Sub Group?

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Affinity groups are great for insurance and loans etc. There are likely enough folks with HDT's to start a group, the bigger issue is clout. With so few members in any given state, the law makers have little reason to listen. IMHO it would be a better idea to hitch a wagon to a national organization with some real clout. Perhaps the best idea, form an organization with all the governing bodies in place, then shop a larger group to be absorbed into.

A large advocacy group with a lobby and legal department would be the ideal "protector" of the bread.

Steve

Steve,

Your thoughts are pretty close to what I have had in mind as well.

We HDT folks are somewhat like early-days home-built airplane builders.........somewhat like a ship without a rudder........but don't fret those home-made-aircraft builders banded together and now the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Assn) has by far the largest airshow in the world and TONS of clout with the federal government Including the very impressive Sport Pilot License as well as many other FAA rules that are custom fit for the EAA members.

Most of us HDT owners strive to register as motor homes and that is the core of the FMCA and if you read the qualifying rules of the FMCA most of our rigs would qualify.......sorta........the permanent sewage tank storage might be a bit of a stretch for many HDT but that could be solved.

Insurance is one thing but the real task facing the future is where HDT RV registration is headed.......

I am not sure how many HDT RV's there are?

How can we find the HDT population numbers?

Would it be best for a temp HDT group to form to represent the normal HDT population to approach large clubs such as FMCA or Good Sams etc.?

FMCA really has some fairly strong governmental lobby programs to keep the Motor Homes even welcome in such adverse locations such as California.......

The HDT is a somewhat of a strange animal ..........but not nearly as strange as home-built-aircraft and they have done very well with the clout of the EAA leading the way...........

Just some thoughts to ponder........

Drive on............(Why is that darn Volvo booth so big at the ..........HDT 2020 Expo)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Just a bit of water on the fire; it took the EAA about 30 years to become heard in Washington DC. The other thing with the EAA, airplanes are under one federal mandate not, 50 states interpretation. I was thinking about the EAA and AOPA to a lesser degree in my comments.

When I was fright instructing my Cherokee was insured for flight training through an AOPA deal. I also had my Bonanza insured through a deal with the ABS. I am not too familiar with the RV groups as I am with airplanes, FMCA would be my choice however.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Just a bit of water on the fire; it took the EAA about 30 years to become heard in Washington DC. The other thing with the EAA, airplanes are under one federal mandate not, 50 states interpretation. I was thinking about the EAA and AOPA to a lesser degree in my comments.

When I was fright instructing my Cherokee was insured for flight training through an AOPA deal. I also had my Bonanza insured through a deal with the ABS. I am not too familiar with the RV groups as I am with airplanes, FMCA would be my choice however.

Steve

Yes Steve.....indeed it takes time and $$$$ to lobby for the .....cause.....that's why I brought up the FMCA.

Big5er brings up from time to time that he thinks that some day the Feds (DOT) will ......step in.....and likely end the HDT RV as we know it today.......maybe he has a point......maybe not.

The point is that "real motor homes" are registered in every state but HDT's are somewhat the odd duck so perhaps the FMCA could give some clout to the HDT cause to perhaps even the playing field in adverse states......

Like you said it took the EAA 30 years but they had a far more hopeless cause to start with.......and now today many old pilots are amazed that the EAA is the powerhouse it is morphed into......

Drive on...........(Who has the......clout)

The subject of a "club" of HDTers has been discussed before and I would remind everyone it is a two edged sword. One poster was thankful that we fell "under the radar" at present and that becoming recognized invited regulation by the federal government. So to play the devil's advocate is it worth saving a few dollars on insurance just to turn around and spend it on mandated inspections or physicals or whatever? I don't know the right answer and I'm neutral on the subject right now. The states have always been jealous of their rights and to get a uniform agreement across all fifty would be difficult to say the least. Look at the gun laws and its lobby which is one of the most powerful in the U.S. No uniformity. Maybe it is worth a try, I just don't know but a good discussion.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Also keep in mind insurance, like registration, is going to very by state. That is why some carriers do not offer coverage in every state. For example I use State Farm for my home and auto. I even had the 5th with State Farm when I used a LGT. In Texas, State Farm would only cover the HDT as a commercial vehicle regardless of how it was registered due to their charter with the state. Other carriers had no problems as their charters with the state are different.

So even though Texas is very HDT friendly, even insurance with a large, national company was not doable.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

I can tell you that several (like 8) years ago I talked to the president and some officers of the FMCA. They were pretty hostile to HDT's, and I mean overtly so. While the "troubles" of the FMCA (membership drop) may affect that view, I personally want nothing to do with the FMCA after my several experiences with the management of it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The subject of a "club" of HDTers has been discussed before and I would remind everyone it is a two edged sword. One poster was thankful that we fell "under the radar" at present and that becoming recognized invited regulation by the federal government. So to play the devil's advocate is it worth saving a few dollars on insurance just to turn around and spend it on mandated inspections or physicals or whatever? I don't know the right answer and I'm neutral on the subject right now. The states have always been jealous of their rights and to get a uniform agreement across all fifty would be difficult to say the least. Look at the gun laws and its lobby which is one of the most powerful in the U.S. No uniformity. Maybe it is worth a try, I just don't know but a good discussion.

Indeed Carl you do bring up good points that I also pondered..........and pondered some and then some.......namely be carefull what you wish for.......

Once upon a time a young bird boy could fly Any kind of aircraft he was strapped to and he thought he was beyond the "right-stuff" he thought was "hot-stuff".......well, one day the FAA made me a offer I could not refuse and once I was one of "them" I was given a "space" and the only item on the wall of my "space" was an framed poster........the text of the poster was: WE ARE UNHAPPY....UNTIL...YOUR UNHAPPY"......

For the most part the poster was very true......

As a young buck that was charged with saving the world I needed to be happy so I declined to be unhappy until a latter date......

To think we HDT folks are under the "Radar" is a grand "illusion" having spent much of my life in official "radar contact" I can assure we are very much a bright blip on the screen.......

On reason that we are not sitting in line with the Wal-Mart trucks at the scales is that we do not "fit" in with the "real trucking game" so we are just noise on the "real truck radar screen".

Indeed the gun game and the NRA is a glaring example of hand to hand combat ..........so far in many places you can still own a gun....sorta.......

At the end of the day the real regulator that really controls the HDT game is the insurance companies ........if "they decide to not decide" our gig is over........you can say that will never happen.......well once upon a time I had a couple of ex-military aircraft in stock and on a calm day a civil owned ex-military aircraft "bumped into" a ice cream store and killed all the folks inside......within 48 hours no civil ex-military aircraft had insurance........poof.....gone....

Now are we in the same group as super-rich-wanna-bee-jet-fighter-jocks........likely not and in fact we are a very carefull bunch of geezers and even bmzero is young but very careful so our low insurance rates are a true testament to our low risk.

During my previous life I had a insurance underwriter that was willing to underwrite almost my insanely risky aircraft "operations" but once in a while I would chose to not insure some of the most insane projects because if you have good insurance you best not kill your insurance company with a bad project.......and I was a "pool-of-one".......

Presently we HDT folks are a scattered "puddles" in a very small sector of a small sector of the RV game.......we would be much "secure" if we were in a larger "pool" .........insurance is a numbers game and a single policy is a easy number to subtract to zero....

Are we in danger of running into a ice cream parlor......likely not WE seem to slow down a lot and stop at too many ice cream stores but as a "small animal" in the overall jungle we live a "interesting" life.........

Drive on........(bee careful......)

Was that F-86 Your's?

Steve

Think god no.......but I had a couple of 0-2's & a L5 .....at least they were slow small and ugly not much money.....

Drive on.........(Slow has it 's points.....)

I can tell you that several (like 8) years ago I talked to the president and some officers of the FMCA. They were pretty hostile to HDT's, and I mean overtly so. While the "troubles" of the FMCA (membership drop) may affect that view, I personally want nothing to do with the FMCA after my several experiences with the management of it.

Assuming he still has it.......

If you could get (Supreme Court) Justice Clarence Thomas to swap his Motor Home for an HDT and 5th wheel,

although highly doubtful - - the FMCA *might* be willing to talk about a '"sub group"- ahhh - briefly. (ROTFL)

Repeat...."might".

However until then, or when Hades freezes over - if it's got a hood (in front), it ain't no good.

Perhaps the time is a premature to organize the HDT group much beyond the informal Rally's .......

Plenty of activities are low key..........without formal organizations needed.

The example that I gave of the EAA was that of a organization that was basically formed as "events" seemed poised to make the home-built aircraft movement become in decline and maybe extinct.........organization saved the cause and today the EAA is likely the most healthy sector of aerospace.....

Big5er and I often get into spats but what the heck........geezers are geezers....no big deal and maybe we are both wrong........Big5er predicts that someday in the not to distant future the DOT / States/ will wake-up and slam the doors shut and kill the HDT RV as we know it today........who knows maybe he is right.........

Maybe I am wrong that being part of a organization would help the HDT movement.......I have been wrong a few times and in fact a fairly moxie old test pilot gave me some sage advice a few decades ago when I was involved in a pretty sticky test......he said "son sometimes the best you can hope for is........to be just right enough and good enough to stay alive to the end of the test....."

Maybe the HDT movement has a few warts and sore spots... but overall maybe it is a case that it is "right enough and good enough" to not try to fix it too much........

Drive on...........(More ice cream.......don't hit the store)

Great points, all.
Jen and I are FMCA members and have attended their National rally's with both our coach and our Class 8 / 5er.
Like Jack said, one of those vehicles gets a different reception, at least with some members, than the other for sure.

Officially the club knows it's growth needs to be welcoming to more in the RV community, the rank and file membership

would really like to have separate water fountains. But to be fair, we have always felt comfortable and many, many were

very interested in what it is all about.

The Escapees have a group that would love to have more members / participation, the Heavy Haulers BoF. https://www.escapees.com/fun/bofs?id=322

IMHO, if something of an association or coop were to be useful, it would be with Escapees.

my feeling is that this may be the better way to approach the subject.

As has been mentioned, the federal definition of

"Motor House" will mean little if the states will not register the vehicle and the insurance companies won't cover them.

Help us break the ice at the FMCA by going to their events. I know it is a little difficult to spend over $ 1 million on a truck

and a 5er, so you might not get to park beside some of the Newmar and Provost crowd, still a sight to behold 4,000+

Class A RV's in one rally.

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

I am not a FMCA member but I have "attended" one of their Very Large Rallys (+5,000 units) .....sorta

I was working on a aerial tanker project the involved some DC-7 tankers.

The DC-7 had four Wright R3350 turbo-compound 18 cyl engines that originally produced 3250 HP each but the 130 / 145 oct fuel is no longer made so the engines were derated to use 100 oct gas so the take0ff and climb was pretty sluggish and the engines had to be babied and never overboosted.

One morning the wind at the airport was about 8 - 12 out of 200 degrees so we planned to depart runway with a tad over 7,000 of length at 122,000 lbs so we would use most of the runway and climb at maybe 600 to 700 FPM as the air temps were moderate so early in the morning.

Preflight done retardant loaded and had the engines warming up and pretaxi check done and called ground control and the controller responds "tanker 62.....taxi to runway 04........" we look at each other and call back " uh....Redmond .....tanker unable runway 04 due to load and tailwind.......Reply comes back "uh....tanker 62 ....standby..." in about 30 seconds ground control comes back ......uh....tanker 62 yesterday some officials at the big RV show at the fairgrounds called up and complained that the tankers were making noise when you overfly their location (fairgrounds 1/2 mile off the runway 22)......so they ask we could have the tankers use another runway........" hummm......call back to ground control ....."Redmond ground......tanker 62 ....we decline 04 with our load our numbers only work with (runway 22)" ........30 second pause the ground control calls......"tanker 62 Rodger......taxi runway 22 call tower when ready......"

We taxi to 22 and takeoff and we are pretty busy just past the end of the runway and we are pretty low when we the 72 cyl and 13,400 cubic inches driving four large four blade props passed over +5,000 motor homes as a take a glance down it looks like about 10,000 folks were looking right in my window......gulp....

Anyhow we made a few trips off runway 22 and as the day warmed up old tanker just got a little more sluggish with every takeoff so by the end of the day I was sure that I had seen EVERYONE at the FMCA rally .....and fairly close up.....

After the last flight I had to drive past the Rally on my way home so I decided that perhaps ......maybe.....I might stop by the Rally headquarters

and perhaps explain why we were unable to use another runway.......

I stopped at the gate and a nice chap in a golf cart drove me over to the Rally headquarters and low and behold I walked right into a Lions den so to speak in that about 75 folks were in a meeting and one of the subjects was the tanker over flights.....my golf cart driver went over and whispered in the ear of the speaker with the microphone and in a flash I was introduced and handed the mic......GULP......

So.......first I apologizes for the low overflights and then explain that with our loads and the wind conditions that we had to use runway 22 and it was only a half mile from there Rally site so with our landing gear in transition that the drag was high and so our climb was at a low rate so we had no choice but to pass over so low. I told them that IF the wind were to change direction wee would use another runway as soon as conditions permitted and I apologized again.Several folks raised their hands and ask some general questions and were very nice and some even said that they enjoyed the 'airshow'.......THEN a hand shot up and a fairly grim faced man said well I am a PILOT and I think that you are just showing off and buzzing us for kicks.........I smiled and said well sir I wish the old tanker had enough performance to show off but I assure you that that's not the case.........The guy raised his voice and said well you can fool these folks but remember I know better because I AM a PILOT..........I stood there a moment and it had been a long and tiring day and I had to decide how to respond.........so I smiled and said.....well like you sir.... I am also a pilot and as you know almost all of the time it's a pretty glamorous job and with high pay and chicks chasing us pilots night and day....sir you being a pilot you know the drill........BUT.......you know what... today I do NOT like being a pilot........you see on most days when we takeoff from runway 22 we have 8 dump switches UN-GUARDED that means if we blow a engine just after liftoff we can dump +60,000 pounds of load in just a few seconds ..........but since all of you folks are right were that 30 TONS of jello would land at 170 mph we leave those switches fully guarded and IF we lose a engine today you folks will be OK but we will not have enough time to dump the load once we descend past your Rally...........so you see sir we take our flying in a DEADLY SERIOUS manner.......then I smiled and said we will do everything we can to make sure you folks have a nice and safe show.......

You know everyone came up had introduced themselves and thanked me for stopping by and explaining the overflights and even the "pilot" came by shook my hand.

You know maybe a few of the higher rank or class FMCA folks are not very friendly..... but I was impressed that almost everyone I met was pretty darn tolerant of a 1958 airliner passing overhead all day long low enough that you could not talk over the noise......

Seemed like pretty nice folks overall.......

Drive on........(Don't make too much noise.......too long)

I am not a FMCA member but I have "attended" one of their Very Large Rallys (+5,000 units) .....sorta

I was working on a aerial tanker project the involved some DC-7 tankers.

The DC-7 had four Wright R3350 turbo-compound 18 cyl engines that originally produced 3250 HP each but the 130 / 145 oct fuel is no longer made so the engines were derated to use 100 oct gas so the take0ff and climb was pretty sluggish and the engines had to be babied and never overboosted.

Warter Aviation is producing 115/145, claiming delivery worldwide for "sufficient quantities".

However, probably a bit expensive to use as a solvent in a "beetle bopper"!

(As "we" did for oil removal on the cowls of PW 4360 powered C-97s "back when")

Archived