Wheel Covers

Mike2338

I am starting research on my first set of tire covers for my 5th wheel. About to spend $2000 on new tires and I want to make them last.

I am replacing my current tires not because of wear but I am seeing slight cracks in the sidewalks. Tires are just short of 5 years from production.

What features or brands should I look for in a set of covers?

Thanks

Mike

303 Aerospace Protectant is your friend. Expensive somewhat but is second to none for tire protection. Is available in rv supply shops , Amazon, etc.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

In my opinion tire covers are just something else for Camping World and others to sell that you DO NOT NEED!! Use the 303 or other good protectant.

My tires are 5 years old and still look new. I plan to use them 1-2 more years and replace. I believe they will still be good enough that I can sell them to someone for use on a "farm trailer" or similar and get enough to cover one of the replacement tires.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

We apply 303 to our rv tires 3-5 times per year usually after a good wash job. If we will be parked somewhere for 7-10 days + and one of the mh sides will be directly facing east/west we will usually put on the wheel covers. I usually purchase the 16 or 32 oz spray bottle of 303 from Amazon when I order other items. Since I rarely, if ever, do CW, wheel covers can also be purchased online; just be sure and measure the wheel size correctly. :rolleyes:

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

You may not need wheel covers , but , they sure dress the rig up while sitting for a while . Kinda like having your wifes hair combed . You don't need that either , but ...

Beside , they keep the wheels clean ; are pretty cheap ; last a long time and take little storage room when not in use . They also take less time to 'apply' properly than any spray , with a lot less mess . ;)

As for putting a spray of any kind on your tires , do you coat the sides of the tires that you don't see along with the tread ? If not , what is the use . Tire rubber keeps aging , from the minute they leave the factory mold .

I'll stick with my wheel covers .

Goes around , comes around .

1) I don't understand the comment about ozone. If I use a cover will the ozone still age my tires?

2) if I use 303, do I not need covers?

1) Most tire manufactures will tell you that they do help, but since they only cover the outside of the tires, leaving the side toward the chassis uncovered, the value of them is limited for ozone issues. But a tire engineer that I spoke with at the Dallas RV show said that the effect of ozone is far greater when the tire is exposed to sunlight, especially intense sunlight of hot days or high altitudes. He seemed to feel that they are worth the small cost and effort to use them. Many people use them partly because they look nice. The same fellow told me that the effect of preventing the tread from contact with constant moisture or concrete is much greater as it effects the steel belting of the tread.

3) The answer to this depends upon who you ask. The same tire guy who suggested some value to tire covers state that there "might" be some value in use of tire protecting products, but he also pointed out the very thing which Pet just posted, that most people only use it on the part of the tire that shows and is easily accessible. If you really believe that your favorite product works then you need to at least lift the wheel off of the ground so that you can apply the product to all parts of the tire that are exposed to the weather. Most users of such products base the application on the visable effects, just as is the case for using tire covers.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Wondering about the covers being a haven for mice and spiders somewhat. I had an issue with mine in the past. They chewed them up pretty good. Could have even been squirrels or chipmonks. Mine are kind of padded, somewhat quilt like which could be a factor.

I use the white covers from Camping world or Amazon or eBay. Which ever is the cheapest when a new set is needed.

I always buy the next size bigger then recommended.

Mine are covered anytime I have a stay longer then 2 weeks.

For new tires I like the Goodyear G670's that have a 7 year warranty on sidewall cracks.

I replaced my last set at 10 years 4 months old and still no cracks. :)

Replacements on mine has been needed because of weed whackers. :(

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

The 3 dealers I purchased my tires for my Jeep, Truck and 5th wheel all said do not put anything on the tires but keep them clean. I usuallycover the truck and trailer tires when sitting for any length of time. I personally don't like the look of shiny tires.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

303 Aerospace Protectant is your friend. Expensive somewhat but is second to none for tire protection. Is available in rv supply shops , Amazon, etc.

I agree. 303 is a great product. I used it on my boat for 15 years and use it with my 5ver also.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I did not realize there was such a debate about the benefits of covers.

To review...

Covers may have some benefits for tire longevity but minimal.

Covers can improve astetics

Love 303

If use it, apply to both side of the tire

Never use anything.

In my case, when setup my sides extend over my tires so I do not see them so the astetics is not an issue.

I think I need to do more research.

Thank you for all the opinions.

M

I think I need to do more research.

Keep in mind that most RV tires are replaced more by age than wear and condition so it is difficult to evaluate While I have used tire covers, I don't know of any way to prove that they actually changed anything. It is pretty difficult to prove that something prevented anything since we don't know that something would have happened if we had not used the item in question. I suspect that the value of covers is partly dependent upon where the tires are located when covered, and what conditions that area has.They probably have more value when used in locations with hot, ozone polluted conditions, then in rural areas with clean air and mild temperatures.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I think it should be obvious that the top reason for wheel covers is to protect against UV rays . In the end , it comes down to preference and how much time , money and effort you want to expend . About 7 years for tires , any which way you look at it .

Goes around , comes around .

I used tire covers for a couple of years, but discovered two things that made me stop. First is that the slides on our fifth wheel keep the tires in shade virtually all of the time. Second, when staying months at a time in rural locations (volunteering at National Wildlife Refuges) I found accumulations of grass and other vegetation in the back of the covers and imagined that rodents might be finding those sheltered areas attractive. So I got rid of the covers and haven't looked back. One (actually four) less thing(s) to carry around, and as Kirk mentions I'll be replacing the tires based on age and not wear or degradation.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Archived