Help with microwave/convection oven

Pam C.

Convection ovens work by using a fan to blow heated air at and around the food being cooked. All of them make some noise; the volume will depend on the brand and model of oven and how well it is secured to the cabinets around and above it. Any looseness will result in vibrations which will increase the noise.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I always turn on the exhaust fan while the oven is warming up so that (1) it doesn't get to hot before fan comes on and (2) it helps heat up the rig. Obviously I don't bake on 'hot' days. There are 2 fans that are running - the exhaust fan that keeps air moving up and around the unit and then the fan inside the convection oven that moves the hot air around to cook the food faster/better. You'll get use to it.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

There are 2 fans that are running - the exhaust fan that keeps air moving up and around the unit and then the fan inside the convection oven that moves the hot air around to cook the food faster/better.

Don't assume that the "exhaust fan" actually vents outside; ours doesn't. Only some RVs have oven exhausts that actually send the air outside. Ours just, uselessly, takes it from below the oven to above it. As a result we never use it.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

The idea is to move air around the oven to keep it cool. It will automatically start at a certain temperature so the cabinets don't blister or burn. Since our fantastic fan is right by where the ovemn is located, I just crack that if I'm worried about smells. Otherwise, the heat warms the coach. Not sure why that is a problem.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

The idea is to move air around the oven to keep it cool. It will automatically start at a certain temperature so the cabinets don't blister or burn. Since our fantastic fan is right by where the ovemn is located, I just crack that if I'm worried about smells. Otherwise, the heat warms the coach. Not sure why that is a problem.

We, also, use our Fantastic Fan to cool the kitchen area. But our convection/microwave also has an "exhaust fan" since the oven is an over-the-range (OTR) model. The oven has the capability of having its exhaust vented outside, but that isn't done in many RVs because the oven often isn't on an outside wall. So our exhaust fan just moves the air around but not out. So we rarely use it. When you spoke of an exhaust fan, this is the fan I thought you were referring to.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Yes, whether it exhausts to the outside or not, it moves air around the oven. Why not use the oven? What do you use for baking/roasting?

Barb

Who said we don't use the oven? All I said was that we don't use the noisy pseudo-exhaust fan which doesn't really exhaust anything! :D

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Are you saying that the fan doesn't come on to move air around the convection oven when it is on at say 350 or higher? It should automatically come on if you don't turn it one in order to keep the heat moving away from the oven so you don't scorch the cabinets/ceiling.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Are you saying that the fan doesn't come on to move air around the convection oven when it is on at say 350 or higher? It should automatically come on if you don't turn it one in order to keep the heat moving away from the oven so you don't scorch the cabinets/ceiling.

We have a GE Profile Over-the-Range Microwave/Convection oven. As far as I can tell it has 4 separate fan systems/modes.

There is the "convection" fan which blows hot air around the food being cooked. This fan runs all the time when the oven is used in its convection mode.

There is also an exhaust fan designed to take steam and cooking vapors outside (except that in our case the fan was set up in its recirculate mode since there isn't a vent available.) This is the fan which I describe as useless since all it does is move air from the cooktop area below the oven so that it blows out a vent above the oven. This fan is manually controlled

There is also an "overheat prevention" fan mode which may just be the microwave oven fan being used to reduce interior temperatures. This fan comes on very rarely after an extended period of cooking.

And, lastly, there is the fan that comes on when the oven is used as a microwave.

I am aware that some RV manufacturers choose to build into their cabinetry microwave/convection ovens that are not Over-the-Range models. Some, I think, even use some ovens without buying the appropriate "build-in" trim kits. I can understand why such installations may result in heat buildup in cabinets that might be of concern. Ours does not have that problem because OTR ovens are designed to be built-in and for operation above a stove or cooktop.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Thanks for that info Sandie/Joel. We also have a GE Profile Over the Range Microwave/Convection Oven. It's nice to know how it works. Now if we can just learn how to cook in it!

Fortunately, with our exhaust fan on high, it appears almost all the air is being moved outside but there is a little that is coming back into the kitchen through the louvers above the oven. We had an exhaust fan in our former Manhattan apartment that did as your's does. We used it because it had a filter that may have caught some grease and what not, but as you say, it was pretty worthless.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

I have a Landmark 5th wheel with a high point microwave/convection oven. When using the convection oven the fan comes on and is really loud. Are all convection ovens loud or is this something to live with. Any help?

We have a Landmark 365 Key West as our base camp and have the same Highpointe micro/convection that you have. Ours is actually pretty quiet so not sure why yours is making a loud noise.

Just a thought -- is the outside vent open?

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

Thanks for that info Sandie/Joel. We also have a GE Profile Over the Range Microwave/Convection Oven. It's nice to know how it works. Now if we can just learn how to cook in it!

Fortunately, with our exhaust fan on high, it appears almost all the air is being moved outside but there is a little that is coming back into the kitchen through the louvers above the oven. We had an exhaust fan in our former Manhattan apartment that did as your's does. We used it because it had a filter that may have caught some grease and what not, but as you say, it was pretty worthless.

Jim

Jim:

I can confirm that there is a flow of warm (not hot) air out of the top louvers even when the oven is in convection mode even with the exhaust fan totally off. Since mine is set for recirculation not exhaust there might be a bit of a difference between how yours and ours operate.

As for cooking in the oven, I'm puzzled as to why convection ovens mystify so many people. We've had them in our homes for more than 20 years so we don't even think of them as unusual. Because of the forced hot air heating, a convection oven cooks a little faster than a conventional oven at the same temperature. You can compensate for this either by shortening the cooking time somewhat or reducing the temperature. Lots of new ovens have user guides which call for lowering the temperature and your Profile even has an "offset" setting which automatically deducts 25 degrees from the temperature you set on the dial. That has always seemed too complicated for us and we have adjusted our cooking times to account for the somewhat faster cooking (and we switch the offset on the oven to OFF).

Joel

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I also never use the manually controlled exhaust fan. Ours is also an over the range/built-in so no outside venting. If the house space does get too warm with the convection running I turn on the ceiling fantastic fan to cool the interior of our rv. We do use it year round, just not as much in hot weather. If you are turning on an exhaust fan manually, you are turning it on for no real purpose and creating a lot more noise. The fan for the convection should come on automatically when needed.

Pat DeJong

Archived