Srw or drw for towing 5th wheeler

Jwebb

I'm currently looking to buy a truck to tow my 5th wheeler I hope to purchase in the future. I'm really new the rv world and trucking world. I want to purchase an rv that can sleep 6-8 people. I really like the open ranges. I think the ones I liked like the 3x roamed weighs around 12k, I'm just going off by memory so I could be wrong. I'm currently was shopping for either ford f250 or f350 diesel so my question is drw required or is srw doable? And what are the pro and cons? Oh and I live in northern California so I would mostly be traveling California and tahoe/reno Thanks

A dually would be the best way to go. More stability, more cargo capacity, and would leave room for a different RV later. The weights listed on brochures are not exactly accurate. They are completely dry weights, no propane, sometimes no battery, no water, and depends on options etc. Add 1500-2000lbs in stuff that you'll acquire.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I agree the dually is the best tow vehicle. Is it your daily drive? They really wear on you for this. Is 12k empty or full capacity? If empty it could go 15k easily. Dually territory. I hated my dually and it was not adequate for my Teton either. I would dare say most are towed with a single rear wheel. Dually is more stable. Hard choice and only you can decide this.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

If you don't know the exact fifth wheel your going to get and considering the number of people your talking about a F350 dually is the safest bet giving you flexibility. You will limit yourself much more with a F250 or a F350 SRW truck. The dually gives you a much larger payload for the fifth wheel pin weight and anything you'll carry in the truck cab and bed. With that many people you will be carrying lots of stuff. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Dually.

You would not believe how many people I run into that want to upgrade their fiver and struggle with truck to light issue with a SRW and are stuck towing overloaded or swap trucks at a high loss of $$.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!

For planning purposes use the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the trailer and 25% of that as the pin weight. Compare the GVWR of the truck plus the GVWR of the trailer to the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of the truck. Look at the payload capacity of the truck. It must be able to handle the pin weight of the trailer and all cargo that will be carried in the truck in excess of a 150# driver. Here is a calculator that may help.

Again, Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!

We have had two Dually's.We got them because at the time we need the needed it for the pin weight of our 5th wheels as for the stability issue I really do not know it makes sense that the dually should be more stable

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We have had two Dually's.We got them because at the time we need the needed it for the pin weight of our 5th wheels as for the stability issue I really do not know it makes sense that the dually should be more stable

I had the opportunity to pull our Carrilite home from the dealer with at the time our Dodge 2500. I started looking that night for a dually. What I ended up doing was converting ours to a dually. Swapped axles and springs from a 3500 under ours. Fabricated a set of MegaCab fenders and put it all together. It towed the Carrilite well. But ultimately the 18500lb Carrilite with a 4800lb pin moved us to the HDT. The rear stability that the extra set of tires gives is huge when you get near the towing limits.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

One thing not mentioned is when you are traveling and you do need to use that dually as a "daily" driver you need to think about the difficulties in negotiating traffic and parking. Not saying you should not consider a dually (in fact, I want one) but it is also another thing to consider.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

,,,Open Range tends to be lightweights. 2500 may be all you need. Check ratings as see...

According to the specifications, the Open Range 3X 5th wheels have GVWR of 14.300-16,470#. A piin weight of 25% would be 3575-4117#. I believe this is well above the payload capacity of any 2500/250 truck and likely above a 3500/350 SRW if much of anything other than the driver will be carried in the truck.

I'm currently looking to buy a truck to tow my 5th wheeler I hope to purchase in the future. I'm really new the rv world and trucking world. I want to purchase an rv that can sleep 6-8 people. I really like the open ranges. I think the ones I liked like the 3x roamed weighs around 12k, I'm just going off by memory so I could be wrong. I'm currently was shopping for either ford f250 or f350 diesel so my question is drw required or is srw doable? And what are the pro and cons? Oh and I live in northern California so I would mostly be traveling California and tahoe/reno Thanks

Hey Jwebb. I have a Open Range Roamer 367bhs. 11K dry. I tow with a SRW Chevy 3500 LB. It tows fine. But I've looked at the 3X and they are monsters. Definitely a dually if that was the rig I was getting. We started out with a 2500 GMC Duramax. It did ok but it was a standard bed. These trucks can pull a house off it's foundation but can you stop safely. I feel much better with the 3500 than I did with the 2500. We use it for more than towing our rig so we opted against the dually.

James

To much truck should never be an issue.

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

A dually would be the best way to go. More stability, more cargo capacity, and would leave room for a different RV later. The weights listed on brochures are not exactly accurate. They are completely dry weights, no propane, sometimes no battery, no water, and depends on options etc. Add 1500-2000lbs in stuff that you'll acquire.

I agree. Better to have to much truck. I bought a DRW to tow my DRV MS.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

...I'm currently was shopping for either ford f250 or f350 diesel so my question is drw required or is srw doable?...

You really need to look at the specifications for the Ford trucks. The payload capacity varies a significant amount depending on the model and configuration. An F250 ranges from 2880-4040#. A SRW F350 ranges from 3310-4760#. A DRW F350 ranges from 5310-7050#.

These trucks can pull a house off it's foundation but can you stop safely. I feel much better with the 3500 than I did with the 2500.

Unless GM has changed recently, the 3500 has the exact same braking system as the 2500.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

This discussion is an oldie and a goodie.

A 3/4 ton SRW is more stable than a F150

A 1 ton SRW is more stable than a 3/4 ton SRW

A DRW is more stable than a 1 ton SRW

A MDT is more stable than a DRW

A HDT is more stable than a MDT

And I guess a Caterpiller dozer is more stable than a HDT (just not very practical.)

So, there's always something more stable - however, that doesn't necessarily make the truck one class smaller "unstable."

We have to move the discussion to actual weights and truck ratings. If the truck specs are enough to tow the camper in question, then getting more truck is a matter of personal preference. Are you a belt and suspenders kind of guy, get one class bigger than the engineers who built the truck say is good enough. If you are a two belts and double suspenders kind of guy, maybe you want a Caterpiller to be sure you have enough tow vehicle!

And if you plan on hauling everything you can ever imagine wanting on the road, then go big-bigger-biggest!

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Since 2001 the dually 3500's heavy duty brakes are larger than those on 2500. I got 250,000 miles out of my OEM brake pads - towing a 17,000# 5er (that had elec/hyd discs).

You're right. The post which I quoted was referencing a srw 3500 compared to a 2500. Those srw trucks use the same brakes.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Archived