Annoying new Windows 10 behavior

hiljoball

After last night's updates, Win 10 started issuing messages saying that there was a problem with a default program and had changed the defaults. It changed the defaults for various graphic formats to Windows 10 Photo.

I use Irfanview for my photos, so I changed the default photo viewer back to Irfanview and set it as the default program for BMP, JPG and a couple of other extension. Shortly after, Win10 changed them back again! So I uninstalled Photo. So take that Microsoft! Now I wait to see what will happen next.

I found this (copy/paste below) on one site about default programs - what is interesting is that I do not use any of these programs (and I don't own a Smartphone so I don't care about compatibility)

John

Configure Stock Default Apps

On the splash page of the Default Apps section, you’ll see several different applications which have already been pre-selected to automatically use integrated Windows applications for seven of the main activities you’ll participate in while using the OS. At stock config, any email links clicked on or offline will launch using the default Windows Mail app, web links will open in Microsoft’s new web browser Edge, photos will be routed through the internal Photo Viewer, movies and video files will open in the Video Player app, and Map requests will automatically route to Bing Maps (from within a new tab of Edge).

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

Welcome to the world of microsoft. The Microsoft of today is actually worst then it was yrs ago. They slowly working on taking over control. From the day of buying office, power point, ect.. they now rent it to you by monthly subscription/yearly. My opinion on this bs, is that it's only going to get worst.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

From the day of buying office, power point, ect.. they now rent it to you by monthly subscription/yearly. My opinion on this bs, is that it's only going to get worst.

From your viewpoint.

I now have five copies of the full Office Suite for a $100 a year subscription. For my five PCs, even if I pushed five years of usage, I would be spending about $300 per PC for a total of $1,500 over five years compared to $500 with Office 365 Home. And with the subscription, I just received the Office 2016 upgrade as part of the subscription. With subscriptions, you get the latest versions of the software as they are released.

It is apparently you do not understand the issues with software licenses and subscriptions. Either system is equitable when viewed from staying with relatively current software. In this case, Microsoft provided a very cost effective plan for homes with multiple PCs.

If fact if you use Office Professional, you are ahead with subscription with just two PCs.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Archived