california hdt registration

RKMoezee

I've been a escapees member for 2 years now and just been lurking. I'm a long way off from retiring or even getting a RV but its my plan to retire with a HDT that can haul my two motorcycles and a Fifth wheel. I just found I think the perfect HDT for me and want to know if I can register it in CA. I've searched and read several of the threads and I'm more confused than ever. If I could I would like to ask a series of questions please

1. The truck is converted to a regular cab,no sleeper, big square box behind cab that can haul two motorcycles and a rv hauler bed with a nice air rv hitch. If I put stove, bed and fridge potty and electical in box CA still will not let this be registered as MH right? as far as i can tell by the forms CA is not doing this no more?

2 Can I register this as a Private vehicle. Its a 2000 model and want exempt from smog rules for adding new smog equipment. will this exempt me or does it need to be hooked up to rv?

3 who could answer these questions officially for me before I buy? Bracken tax service?

4 Does any one know what the weight of a T2000 from 2k can legally haul when singled. I found some language on the DMV site that sound like the statues have changed and the truck should have a gvwr of 26k or under that doesn't include the trailer right?GVWR is the amount truck and load can weigh without trailer or am I wrong. I took the following out of DMV site

Motor trucks or two-axle truck tractors, with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds, when operated singly, or when used to tow a camp or utility trailer, a trailer coach, a fifth-wheel travel trailer, or a trailer designed to transport a watercraft, and is never operated commercially. (This provision becomes operative on January 1, 2016.)

I really want the truck and if I cant register in CA I'm thinking of storing it in another state until I can retire which may be 5 or 6 years. Can it be stored in CA if not registered in CA. I know that sounds like i'm asking if I can break the law by driving it on the roads but I'm asking if it could be stored and then when i retire I'll domicile in another state and drive it with the new tags there. Of course I'll excise it on private property

Thanks every one its good to be here. I really would like some one to explain this in slow precise wording.. The older I get the denser I get

national rally 2021.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can absolutely register it in CA, but I don't see how you would get an RV title. There is no private truck reg in CA, so be prepared to pay the fees for the commercial tag! Emissions is another semi grey area. Last time I read in to it, as long as it was used exclusively to pull a camp trailer it was exempt.

Looks like the Motor Carrier Permit requirements has loosened up a bit this year too. If it's singled, might want to have an upfitter issue a new GVW tag for the door to put your gvw to 25,999 to save you some grief.

I suppose you "could" register it in another state, but you already know that is frowned upon.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

If it's singled, might want to have an upfitter issue a new GVW tag for the door to put your gvw to 25,999 to save you some grief.

It will be difficult, although maybe not impossible, to find someone with the proper credentials that would be willing to issue a new tag with a 26,000# GVWR. But even if that can be done, there are other considerations.

The T2000 is very light in comparison to, say, a comparable VNL770/780, but you're still going to have to dedicate at least 11,000 of that 26,000 pounds to the front axle if you want to be legal when bobtail. My T2000 weighs 10,000# on the front axle bobtail, but it's a rare 112" cab and has a Cat C-12, which is much lighter than a far more common 120" model with a C-15 or Cummins ISX, and has a FreedomLine transmission, which was claimed to be 150# lighter than an Eaton Autoshift. Assuming that you're able to find a truck that weighs 11,000# or less on the front axle bobtail, that leaves you with only 15,000# of rear GAWR available, at most. That could be doable if you plan to have no hauler body and/or don't have a very heavy fiver that transfers a lot of pin weight to the truck, but could easily be exceeded with the wrong choice of trailer and/or added components.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

There are a number of outfits in CA who can issue a new GVWR sticker......I see them all the time in cab/chassis trucks and motorhomes that have been outfitted with equipment after the original manufacture. They can also be purchased on the internet and typed out yourself....heck most of us probably have the ability to print one out at home! I can't find any law anywhere that says you have to have some special credential to recert a truck..... I have no issue with lowering a vehicle's capacity well below the component's ratings, just wouldn't want the liability of going above the ratings. Tom's House of Hydraulics is one upfitter name on a sticker I have seen that comes to mind.

While it might very well be difficult to keep the truck from exceeding 26K while loaded, the axle's weight capacities totaled up can absolutely be more that the rated GVWR of the vehicle. This is done on pickups all the time. My Ram 3500 has 5,200/9,350 axle ratings for a theoretical total of 14,550 but it's only rated at 12,200 total GVWR. As far as I know, there is no law that says you can have more axle or tire than you can use........

My Pete only weighs 9K on the 12K rated steer full of fuel without the Jeep, Can Am, people or 4K hitch weight applied 7' behind the axle......Loaded, the front falls right around 8K. I'm going to set my sticker to show 9,200 steer/19,000 drive and 25,999 GVWR. I should fall right around 25K loaded up. Should give me an added layer of protection from a misinformed LEO.

Edit: Here ya go.....This was a FLD120 factory singled and de-rated for RV toter service that I almost purchased.

20150216_133057_zpsjvbyjei3.jpg

Here is one like my Dodge:

http://rvtowcheck.com/images/gvwr_certification_label.gif

Edited to fix GVW's to GVWR

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

I'm still fighting with theCA DMV now on my truck that had been registered as a RV for the last 5years.

For some reason they decided to pull my RV plates??

So if you get it through as a RV, like me they could come in and revoke it at anytime. If you can register it out of state I would.

As for smog I don't have the law on hand but can get it for you but. I called CARB and talk to a supervisor, they sent me the code that states. If a truck has been converted to a motorhome it is exempted from the law. Also if a trucks PRIMERY purpose is to pull a trailer that is built for

(human habitation ) that the truck is exempt from smog laws.

Cooter, you keep saying GVW, but what you are referring to is GVW "Rating". There is a big difference between the GVW and GVWR.

.heck most of us probably have the ability to print one out at home! I can't find any law anywhere that says you have to have some special credential to recert a truck..

Also, what you are posting and recommending is illegal. The GVWR is set by a "manufacturer"...read the label you posted. You might wish to read the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and Regulations. There are several sections which cover what and how a GVWR is determined. On a manufactured "complete" vehicle the GVWR range is identified in the VIN. And if you would read the links you posted there are several references as to who can change a GVWR. Even your own links say that you must be registered as a manufacturer (final stage, intermediate stage or alterer) in order to legally change the GVWR. A check of my 780's vin lists it as "Class 8: 33,001 lb and above". Any sticker showing less than that better be accompanied by the name of a manufacturer that is registered with the NHTSA.

In some states the type of drivers license required is determined by the vehicles GVWR. Having the wrong type of DL for an HDT is an easy ticket. Dropping a Class 8 truck to a Class 6 or less, in my opinion, is just asking for trouble.

I'm not saying you would ever get caught if you created your own GVWR sticker, I'm just saying I wouldn't want to be the one to get caught.

EDIT:

Even the label you posted shows that vehicle was manufactured as a complete truck and is a Class 8. Your posts said it was "factory singled". By what factory? It did not come from Freightliner as a single rear axle, according to it's VIN. I also can not find Tom's registered in the manufacturers listing. That in itself isn't conclusive, it may mean that Tom is a DBA, out of business or....

But, as I said, I would certainly question the reasoning for lowering a Class 8 truck to a Class 6, especially that 7,000 lbs front axle.

In my line of work knowing how it was built and not locating Tom's would be a real big red flag.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

idy - Storage in CA.

You didn't say *where* you live in CA (county?) - but RV storage in the urban areas of CA is at a premium. (BIG premium - with waiting lists).

Most "normal" storage facilities want to have your CA registration on file - with current registration.

Yes - the "powers that be" check - and there are severe penalties (with rewards no less) to rat out your neighbor with out-of-state plates.

If you live in a remote area of CA - far less scrutiny - but serious penalties if/when you would try to

register a vehicle that hasn't been licensed for a number of years.

You will pay penalties and "back-registration" for all the years you missed.

Of course, you can have "Non-Op" status for any CA registered vehicle - EXCEPT trailers.

But - the above applies to a vehicle *with* CA plates - which you don't have.

Backken licensing service is now completely out of the picture.

Their DMV guy has put the kabosh on any HDT to MH registrations.

(IMO again) Broncohauler's MH status went away because he's tandem - and slipped thru the

cracks previously.

Tandem has always been a no-no for/with the CA folks who completed successful CA MH registration.

Having said that - you could try another licensing service - or even a DMV branch (rural is best).

IMO the grey area still exists - search out the thread posted in by Chad regarding the DMV regulations.

Think "interpretation" could vary by the individual/s involved - it has in the past.

Registering in another state - TX as a MH or a private truck (SD) is easy, and a good alternate - with far less grief. (say the last part -way less grief- again!)

Wayland Long ("2L Trucks in TX) is the only MDT-HDT source (other than the outfits building toters, etc.)

I have heard of who meets the "mfgr" qualifications posted by Big5er.

But - you have 5-to six years until you retire.

And you are considering long-term storage for that time???

Why purchase now???

Waiting until you are ready to retire - would seem to be a "no-brainer" with many, many more options available to you (then).......as well as not incurring needless depreciation on a vehicle that's sitting in storage.

Anyway, best wishes for/with your long term planning.

Thanks all for your replies. All of you are the posters I had hoped would respond. You all seem very knowledgeable. So if I may let me ask my question a little bit differently. I'm still not sure what I'm getting into. If you want to see the truck its the T600 for sale in the for sale ads on this site. I have a place out on 600 acres I will store the vehicle on. I think the truck is perfect for me and my wife for what we want to do in the future. I'm not sure but could be jumping the gun but sometimes opportunity knocks. What exactly will happen if I try to register this vehicle in California? I have a class B license and Ill work on the A. IF i read this right it will be registered as a regular class 8 commercial rig which if I understand will cost $850 a year? right? But since it's been set up for RVing and that's what it is for and no shanagons on my part. I won't get a letter from the powers to be that I'll have to install pollution controls or 10k worth of dpf or anything like that right? Can I get insurance for a vehicle for this use or will the insurance be commercial? Will insurance be in the thousands? So let me make a list of my questions

1 I know I have to register commercial and this will cost me $850 a year

2With this registration do I have to have log book, and all kinds of commercial thing i dont know about?

3 Do I have to pull into weigh stations

4 If i registered it in another state and snuck it in to my parking place and kept there for years until it left the state and I got caught leaving how much is the fine or do I go to prison?

5 Is there any more to this that I dont know.

6 Who could I hire to explain and register I was hoping I could hire Brackken Its there services for this?

Thanks again Iddy

national rally 2021.jpg

Something no one's mentioned comes to mind"..................

Leaving a truck sit in storage is not good for it. Seals dry, lines deteriorate, gaskets shrink, etc. that god deal now may become a mechanic's nightmare in five years.

Forget this one and start looking again in about four years.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 I know I have to register commercial and this will cost me $850 a year

2With this registration do I have to have log book, and all kinds of commercial thing i dont know about?

3 Do I have to pull into weigh stations

4 If i registered it in another state and snuck it in to my parking place and kept there for years until it left the state and I got caught leaving how much is the fine or do I go to prison?

5 Is there any more to this that I dont know.

6 Who could I hire to explain and register I was hoping I could hire Brackken Its there services for this?

Thanks again Iddy

1. You can register it as a commercial truck. I don't know what that will cost, but it is the only way CA will register it right now. The caveat to this is if it is already registered as a Motorhome in CA or another state. Since Brakken's DMV representative stopped processing HDT motorhome conversions based on an old DMV administrative code, no one I am aware of has attempted or been successful doing it on their own. I do know of one owner who bought a CA truck that was already converted to a Motorhome title and was successful in registering it in his name as a Motorhome as well. What has not been tested is someone trying to register an out of state converted Motorhome title to a CA registration.

2. The log book and other commercial regulations have to do with how the vehicle is used, not how it is registered. All pickups are registered as commercial vehicles in CA, but you only need a log book if you are actually involved in commerce with that pick up.

3. If your HDT is registered as a truck (commercial) you will have to stop at weigh stations. This will be because it meets the definitions of who has to stop based on CA law. It is mostly based on actual weight ratings as well as whether or not you are involved in commerce. You can search out who has to stop at CA weigh stations on the CA DOT website. The rules are very straight forward.

4. If you register it out of state and get caught in CA, it is a fix it ticket. You will not go to jail. You may have to pay fines and fees, but there will be no criminal violation.

5. I can't answer this one.

6. There are lots of registration companies. Brakken's or a similar cases many should be able to easily register the truck as a regular commercial vehicle, they just can't convert it to a Motorhome title.

Even if you are registered as a commercial vehicle (truck), you would be exempt from CARB requirements if the vehicle is used to pull an inhabitable RV trailer. There would be no problems when pulling the trailer. There might be some problems if you run it bobtail a lot and get stopped. You would have to do some explaining, but if you are just going to the store for supplies, etc. you should be ok.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

If you have all that acreage and do not plan to use it, could you register it as a farm vehicle?

That would allow you to drive short distances, check with the CA DMV on the restrictions.

But then that may make you have to do some farming.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Is the truck titled in Calif? If it isn't maybe could you retitle it as a RV in it's home state or get it changed on the way back to Calif. Va is a tough state to deal with. The 630 we bought came from Minn. I had a copy of the title faxed to me. Took it to DMV and they said they would honor it. They did. If the truck is tagged in Calif you just may be SOL. 6 years is a long time to keep it in storage. It would have to be driven right regular. So make a good decision. But when you get that HDT welcome! And even before!! Pat

The Old Sailor

I've been a escapees member for 2 years now and just been lurking. I'm a long way off from retiring or even getting a RV but its my plan to retire with a HDT that can haul my two motorcycles and a Fifth wheel. I just found I think the perfect HDT for me and want to know if I can register it in CA. I've searched and read several of the threads and I'm more confused than ever. If I could I would like to ask a series of questions please

1. The truck is converted to a regular cab,no sleeper, big square box behind cab that can haul two motorcycles and a rv hauler bed with a nice air rv hitch. If I put stove, bed and fridge potty and electical in box CA still will not let this be registered as MH right? as far as i can tell by the forms CA is not doing this no more?

2 Can I register this as a Private vehicle. Its a 2000 model and want exempt from smog rules for adding new smog equipment. will this exempt me or does it need to be hooked up to rv?

3 who could answer these questions officially for me before I buy? Bracken tax service?

4 Does any one know what the weight of a T2000 from 2k can legally haul when singled. I found some language on the DMV site that sound like the statues have changed and the truck should have a gvwr of 26k or under that doesn't include the trailer right?GVWR is the amount truck and load can weigh without trailer or am I wrong. I took the following out of DMV site

Motor trucks or two-axle truck tractors, with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds, when operated singly, or when used to tow a camp or utility trailer, a trailer coach, a fifth-wheel travel trailer, or a trailer designed to transport a watercraft, and is never operated commercially. (This provision becomes operative on January 1, 2016.)

I really want the truck and if I cant register in CA I'm thinking of storing it in another state until I can retire which may be 5 or 6 years. Can it be stored in CA if not registered in CA. I know that sounds like i'm asking if I can break the law by driving it on the roads but I'm asking if it could be stored and then when i retire I'll domicile in another state and drive it with the new tags there. Of course I'll excise it on private property

Thanks every one its good to be here. I really would like some one to explain this in slow precise wording.. The older I get the denser I get

Iddy....

I have been reading your thread for some time now and I have to wonder.......

You see recently the wife and I have been caring for her memory-loss mom since she was evicted from a couple of care facilities for anger issues........so......mom can be a bit crazy at times but after reading about trying to register HDT -RV (or keeping previous registered HDT-RV) in California the story seems to make mom seem a whole lot-less-crazy in comparison......

Have you ever considered moving to the Largest and most Northern county in Ca........that county is named....Oregon......

Oh what a difference crossing the “Oregon-line” makes.....

So you pull your “HDT-soon-to-be-motor-home” into the nearest DMV, you fill out the one page form call the vehicle a “Motor-Home” and fill in the vin# blank........go to the counter and show your OREGON DRIVERS LICENSE and pay $7.00 “Inspection-Fee”.....DMV geek takes your form out to the …..”soon-to-be-motor-home” and opens the door to confirm the vin# and then asks you “how long is your motor-home?” you say “well it is 27 feet long, and I have a tape measure her so we can measure it”. The DMV geek says “Sir, I will take your word, if you say it's 27 feet so be it” then he says as long as it is 45 feet or less and under 102 inches wide or under 13 feet 6 inches tall it is within the limits of a RV in Oregon.....sir you are our customer and we will take your word”.

So next you ask the DMV geek if he wants to look inside your “HDT-motorhome” to see the microwave or sink or toilet and the DMV-geek says “sir how you camp is no real concern of ours”.

Next you walk back into the office with the DMV-geek and now the real deal starts.....the geek starts writing down numbers so fast it makes your head spin and then he scribbles a big-fat number at the bottom of the page and it is something like $473.72.....and that is for two years..... here is two new license plates two stickers and temp title / registration and we will mail the permanent Title & Registration to your OREGON OFFICIAL RESIDENCE.

So Iddy in that “most-northern-California-county-named-Oregon” they really don't care how much your HDT weighs or if it has 9 axles or six exhaust stacks all the DMV really wants is your $$$$ and PROOF that you REALLY are a Oregon resident.......

Here is the real “fly in the soup” in California and that is IF you really are a California resident and have a Current California Drivers license........how do you explain to John-Law or the Judge that you also have a “truck / motor-home registered in another state ? ? ?

I have won a few feuds with California sales-tax geeks over aircraft ownership but they were wrong and I was on good legal ground.......sparing with California is not much fun and takes some time and a fair bit of $$$$ at times.

It's sad that California is such a hassle compared to how easy it is to register a truck to a motorhome in Oregon but I would not try to register here unless you can show and PROVE residence in Oregon.

Wish Oregon could solve your problem.......it's so close.....but likely too far......

Drive on.......(California is...........California)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Idy - in re question #5.

Way back when -right here on the forum- there were several folks who successfully registered their HDTs as Motor Homes at various DMV offices in CALIFORNIA.

Unfortunately that info was lost when the forum format was changed a few years ago.

For some it was a piece of cake - for others it took persistence (often a lot). Sometimes by simply going to a different DMV office.

For others - (Louh?) it became "Mission Impossible". Forget whether he was the guy that carried his "fight" to ALL the appropriate agencies in Sacramento - and the ultimate answer/ decision was ALWAYS the same......"NO".

While he was 'persisting' - others were sliding in under the radar here and there and getting it done.

Most acknowledged the shakey ground they were on (San Andreas Fault?) - and knew they might need to have Plan B ready.

Along came "ScottE" (see The Guide) and Bracken (note spelling) Tax and License in Ontario, CA.

Bracken was successfully accomplishing what those "early" folks had been doing at various DMV offices on their own.

Pay the fee - and get your CA MH plates/registration - couldn't be easier.

Apparently there were other licensing services who followed in Backen's footsteps - or vice-versa.

Unfortunately - for whatever reason - the DMV "re-informed" them of the following VC Sec (150.08 "Truck Tractors with Living Quarters") - which Chad has indicated previously........

"Truck Tractors as defined in VC Section 655 that have been initially manufactured, modified by a second stage manufacturer or otherwise altered to include living quarters shall be considered commercial vehicles under VC Sec 260 UNLESS the living quarters permanently prevent the truck tractor from towing or drawing other vehicles".

(The gray? area - could have been to convince someone at a DMV office of "permanent prevention" -

and then change -add a hitch- after approval. Which has/had been done in FL also.)

Authority cited Sec 1651, Vehicle Code.

Ref. Sec/s 260 & 655, Vehicle Code.

and (here's the "biggie!!)

Schools vs DMV (2004) 120 Ca.App.4th 10,15 Cal. Rptr. 3rd 813

Link -

https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/2257735/california-career-schools-v-dmv/

Note the dates listed for *previous* rulings!

A lengthy read - but it effectively pulled the rug out - a long time ago.

You asked about stopping at scales.

See this link for the CA DOT - "Who Must Stop At Scales?"

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/weigh-stations/stopping.htm

Anyway - if you were going to stash a '55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, or a '32 Ford 3-window for 4 or 5 years, you would most likely break even or come out ahead.....a win-win situation.

Unfortunately, squirreling away the HDT sure looks like a genuine lose-lose... :(

BTW (IMO) the CA commercial registration $ you suggest is the weight fee only - which is *tacked-on* to the registration fee for the annual tags.

The best advice - as already offered is.....Wait until you retire.

Who knows - by then you may want a boat.. :rolleyes:

Chad said

2. The log book and other commercial regulations have to do with how the vehicle is used, not how it is registered. All pickups are registered as commercial vehicles in CA, but you only need a log book if you are actually involved in commerce with that pick up.

I disagree with this, Just 2 weeks ago I stopped at the Nevada scales, filled out my livestock papers and the Nice person behind the desk asked me "how is your truck registered" I said its a motorhome, she said have a great day.

As for the registering the truck out of state, if the truck/motorhome is owned by an llc like say in montana, 1.) you dont have to pay CA sales tax, 2.) trucks and motorhome from other states that are owned by corporations are all over the place an no one bats an eye. I will never register a vehicle i buy outright in ca ever again, I can see how if you drive it to work every day it could be an issue, but I have a virtual motor fleet that I pay a fortune for every year for the privilege of parking in the state of california, even if i drive it one time per year. ludicrous.

Nick - you can have a person in a position of responsibility *anywhere* say "Have a nice day" - and be on your merry way. Doesn't mean (you or they) are right or wrong.

Folks have registered their HDTs (and bus conversions) by simply filling out a CA DMV "Statement of Fact" form - listing why the HDT registration should be changed to Motor Home.

Person accepting the form and info - says "Have a Nice Day" - and away you go..

Unfortunately - they just might be wrong, misinformed, etc - or simply don't want to bother with any research.

Sometimes the results are opposite resulting in - *not* so nice a day... :(

For all "we" know - that's what Bracken may have been doing.

At the other end, the DMV figures they are a licensing agency and accepts their word that all is OK.

Until that..... "Oops moment".

Like most other states CA wants their revenue.

Kinda like - The IRS.

Combine the two words and you get......"Theirs"

And it's not just CA - "BOHICA" exists everywhere!

Many on the forums will recall "DaveK" and his vitriolic animosity towards South Dakota when they revoked the MH registration for his HDT.

But anyway..........Have a nice day!.. :D

Sorry to disagree Nick, but I have put many many 'motorhomes" out of service for no USDOT number (operating authority), no CDL and no log book. There is nothing that says a motorhome can not be a commercial motor vehicle.

These are not my pictures, but here is just one of the ones I caught.

Notice the door? It is 100% correct, it IS registered as an RV, and it is NOT for hire (which by the way means absolutely nothing)

slacker2_zps12fdac37.jpg

and it IS a commercial vehicle, requiring a log book, a cdl and operating authority. And he paid a healthy fine for driving his "RV" without any of them.

slacker1_zps388c7ab7.jpg

2014 smart Fortwo

Perhaps I have been lucky but the for the past 4 years I have gone through the scales 40-80 times I have never been asked for a log book, nor a CDL, all I get asked for is my Registration and Insurance, even that is pretty rare. I have had a couple of people question as to needing to pay fuel tax but I have never actually had to pay it. I used to be really nervous going through the scales, because I am required to when I am hauling horses, and at some scales both my trucks have to stop. My FL C112 had a GCVW of 45,500 this last trip but then I don't have my name all over the side of the truck either, But I still look more commercial than if you were pulling TT

That being said my experience has only been in CA, UT, AZ, and NV. Now I consider going through the scales to be no big deal, and I bypass them all the time, even the Rainbow CA which I have heard is so strict my friend who lives there can not get hay delivered because the scale house runs the hay trucks down because they think they are dodging the scales.

But again That is my experience and it only takes one person having a bad day to change it

My experience with all of this is that the CHP is NOT the problem. They have questioned me about my truck but only because they didn't know what to do with it. In the long run they just thought it was cool.

The problem is the main department of motor vehicles for California in Sacramento.

The head supervisor there and there's no one we can go to above her does not understand what it is we do or why only wants to say no. I'm going through a registration company. and all the DMV will do is hang up on us and not return phone calls or emails.

As per the DMV's request I have had three inspections by CHP field offices to verify I am a motorhome and they agree that I am a motorhome. The DMV just won't except it with no explanation and no vehicle codes stated.

As for the Rainbow Scales I go through their north and south twice a day five days a week in my company truck.

They stop me every 3 to 5 months to give me a new inspection sticker and that's about it.

They are very picky about lights working correctly and Tires not having any foreign objects in them.

And to be honest I have no problem with that ,it just keeps us safe.

I have a real good rapport with most all of the inspectors except maybe one that's a little too hard-core.

And everything's on computer now days you only need to give them your drivers license. And no more registration or insurance it's all in the computer.

I do haul hazmat and they will look at my bill lading when I am.

If ALL else FAILS...........TRY Dr. PEPPER...........and the CASH dividend is likely big enough (UP 10.4% WOW) to pay any fines you get.......

Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc. DPS, -0.42% said Thursday its board of directors approved a dividend of 53 cents a share, a 10.4% increase in the dividend rate. The dividend is payable on April 5 to shareholders on the books as of March 15. The company also said its board authorized an additional $1 billion share buyback program, bringing the total to $5 billion in share repurchases. Shares of Dr Pepper Snapple rose 0.3% in late trading Thursday after ending the regular trading session down 0.4%.

Drive on........(Have a cold........Dr. Pepper)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Isn't Slacker a radio station??

If so this is a prime example of how the RV title is being abused and ruining it for the rest of us.

How can a radio station doing promotions think they are not commercial? If that's what it is

This was actually an advertising company running promos and demos for Slacker (yes the online radio company). The whole truck was skinned in the Slacker attire. The company also had a military skinned one that they used for passing out US military recruiting literature at shows also. They knew exactly what they were...but as you said, they were abusing the RV exemption and I agree with you. It is these types (racers and some horsers too) that will eventually ruin it for all of us. IMHO, one day the powers that be will simply say "every vehicle over xxx pounds needs a cdl, a medical card and a log book. You will find a whole bunch of Prevosts hitting the market when it happens :)

Many farmers and horsers get lots of exemptions to the commercial regs. Hauling your own horses for personal use, or to a from auction is legal in many places...until you hit that magic mile point and lose the to and from market exemption. To and from the track and/or rodeo for competition is not exempt which is why you see so many LGT's at the rodeo.

2014 smart Fortwo

Big5er, to be honest I wish it was that easy to understand. I just dont see that happening with the RV lobby group, not to mention you would have to get all of the states to agree on at least something similar. At the end of the day there is just not enough revenue in it on the enforcement end, and you would upset a demographic that no one likes argue with.

as far as horse people abusing the "RV exemption", I really wish more people would, having pulled plenty of combinations with a 1 ton truck that grossed over 30K, I would think that from a public safety standpoint they would make it more painless for people to tow with larger trucks. But that would involve logic.

your example of a promo company trying to pass itself off as an RV, when obviously it is involved commerce does not meet the standard of an RV, however me hauling my horses to an event i volunteer for in my truck and trailer. I consider that not for hire, no different that a Prevosts motorhome pulling a 10,000 GVWR trailer, which I see all the time and have rarely hear of anyone keeping logs.

Archived