Electric selenoid valve (12v) - fresh water recycling

Yarome

If anyone has a manual fresh water recycling system.. or anyone planning to install one.. these little electric solenoids valves are perfect for upgrading to "push button" and just had a 26% price drop. $7.99 delivered from Amazon. There are cheaper ones out there, but these are really put together well and the lowest price I've seen them go.

JFYI

can you explain what this is or why this is needed so I can decide to add it to my system. Thanks and forgive my ignorance on the subject!!!

Not at all.. not at all.

It's mainly for those hardcore weirdo boondocker types (not me of course) as a way to conserve a fresh water supply when using hot water. Instead of trying to "trap" the cold water in a tub or bucket while you wait for the hot water to make an appearance, you run a return hose back to your fresh water tank somewhere between your water heater and as close as possible to your hot water fixtures outlet. Opening the valve.. cold water in your water line is diverted back to your fresh water tank as your water line is being "charged" with hot water... then closed to redirect the hot water to your fixture.

Working a manual valve can be a little inconvenient digging inside a cabinet or such, so using an electrical selenoid, a switch can be more conveniently located for ease of operation.

I probably should have added that they work equally as well for air and fuel applications, and that they are "closed" when non-powered. They can be used in any number of creative applications.

My trailer has an enclosed underbelly so getting at hoses and such is a real pain. I put 2 of these on my outdoor shower lines so they remain closed off from the water system, but can be turned on "remotely" when needed.

If anyone has a manual fresh water recycling system.. or anyone planning to install one.. these little electric solenoids valves are perfect for upgrading to "push button" and just had a 26% price drop. $7.99 delivered from Amazon. There are cheaper ones out there, but these are really put together well and the lowest price I've seen them go.

JFYI

1/4 inch is too small need 1/2 pipe

1/4 inch is too small need 1/2 pipe

Actually, a 1/4" valve is more than sufficient at the relatively low pressures and water volume you're talking about in an RV. Think of it more as a "bleed valve". A 1/2" selenoid valve cost more than double, weighs more, is larger.. hence more difficult to install in relatively cramped spaces, and requires more "juice" to actuate. On top of that.. any ol' 1/4" lightweight (cheap) off the shelf tubing from your local HIC is easier to run back to your fresh water tank. PEX and such isn't required since the "drain" line is never pressurized.

With the solenoid in place, it should be pretty easy to automate the setup with a temperature sensor near the point of use to close the valve. :)

DUTCH, Have you or has anyone built this temperature sensor idea into this recycle loop. With it setup to recycle the water until a nice hot temperature is reached one would be able to really save on the water being 'run down the drain' to get the hot water desired from a faucet or the shower.

I removed our ice maker to make room for more food in freezer of our residential fridge. Otherwise, I wonder if this would have made it easier to winterize the water line and icemaker?

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

DUTCH, Have you or has anyone built this temperature sensor idea into this recycle loop. With it setup to recycle the water until a nice hot temperature is reached one would be able to really save on the water being 'run down the drain' to get the hot water desired from a faucet or the shower.

I haven't setup a recycle loop since we seldom boondock anymore, but the thought of automating one brought out the "techy" in me. :)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I removed our ice maker to make room for more food in freezer of our residential fridge. Otherwise, I wonder if this would have made it easier to winterize the water line and icemaker?

Jim

My ice maker feed line is self-draining when I remove it from the solenoid controlling the fill function. Ice maker does not require winterizing as it lives in a frozen environment.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

My ice maker feed line is self-draining when I remove it from the solenoid controlling the fill function. Ice maker does not require winterizing as it lives in a frozen environment.

My solonoid controlling the fill function was not accessible without pulling the fridge out, which is somewhat of a PITA. I am not sure, but maybe an electric valve would provide a means to drain or blow the water out with air without having to unbolt and pull out the fridge. Perhaps others with an ice maker already have an easy way to winterize, or don't need to.

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Archived