Costco Postpones Switch From Amex to Visa

LindaH

Our other cards give us good cashback.

The new Costco VISA card will have good cash back: 4% on fuel, 3% at restaurants and "eligible" travel purchases (I have no idea what this includes, but probably not RV parks), 2% on Costco purchase (both in-store and online), and 1% on all other purchases. Certainly better than the Costco AMEX card.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• 2 weeks later...

We have had Amex for 25 years and never had a problem. Yes, occasionally, a merchant did not accept it but the fact that each of our cards has a different number on it makes it so that if one is lost or stolen we still have a card that continues to work and just the lost card is blocked.

The numbers on the rebates look impressive until one realizes that the 1% back on non-costco purchases is only $1.00 per $100 I spend. yes, its better than nothing and I am applying for a Costco VISA card for convenience but my Amex reward points can be used to pay directly for all Amazon purchases.

Oh Well, this is the way things move and one either embraces change they can not control or get run over by it. It will be interesting to see just which of the 4 VISA cards I will have will I use. RIght now, only the Amazon VISA gets any exercise and everything else goes on Amex.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

FYI:

I took a screen print of my Costco AMX account on the 18th as previous correspondence from AMX said we would not be able to access the AMX records online after the 20th. I didn't have a lot of activity but was concerned about the pending transactions. I just checked my new Costco Citi Visa and the pending transactions were find but there is a $40 discrepancies in my rewards dollars. I have contacted them and awaiting their response. This was a big undertaking moving the accounts from AMX to CITI so there are bound to be a couple of hiccups but for those that did have their accounts transferred you may want to double check your rewards dollars?

I also have a credit coming due from a deposit refund and AMX said the credit would be applied to the new CITI card. The credit is scheduled to be processed on July 7th so will follow up then.

Our card transferred with no problems with balances.

Did have a bit of frustration getting an address and account info from Citi so we could set up bill-pay from our bank to them.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

OK. 2 days ago, I applied for the COstco VISA on Citi. Got it authorized at $8500 limit. They said it is now active and next time I go to a Costco Warehouse, just go to the front desk and get a temporary VISA on the account. So, today, I did just that, got a printed page (or 3) with some bar codes on them.

Went to checkout and bought everything we needed and gave them the pages. He scanned it, gave it back and thanked me and we left with our groceries. The real cards should arrive in 2 weeks or less. While I was standing at the service desk, though, 3 people came up with words about not having gotten their replacement Citi Costco VISA yet though the bank said they had been sent out already. So, almost looking like the transition from Amex to VISA is a bit more unpredictable than just applying for a new one straight out.... so far.

Love Costco more than Sam's Club and never thought I would be saying that. Might as well get started getting the rewards dollars on my account from the get-go.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Smooth transition here. Only glitch was setting up our online account via their website last Monday. Used the Apple app and was up and running in a couple of minutes.

Everything transferred over and have used the card a couple of times at other stores, perhaps at Costco tomorrow.

Happy so far.

Those who have not received their cards yet may be having postal problems v. bank problems.

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website:

http://www.evergreencohoskprvpark.com/

Evergreen Coho SKP on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evergreen-Coho-SKP-RV-Park/563601217103332

FYI:

I took a screen print of my Costco AMX account on the 18th as previous correspondence from AMX said we would not be able to access the AMX records online after the 20th. I didn't have a lot of activity but was concerned about the pending transactions. I just checked my new Costco Citi Visa and the pending transactions were find but there is a $40 discrepancies in my rewards dollars. I have contacted them and awaiting their response. This was a big undertaking moving the accounts from AMX to CITI so there are bound to be a couple of hiccups but for those that did have their accounts transferred you may want to double check your rewards dollars?

I also have a credit coming due from a deposit refund and AMX said the credit would be applied to the new CITI card. The credit is scheduled to be processed on July 7th so will follow up then.

UPDATE: Just got an email from CITI:

Amex did not post Rewards accumulation until the month following initial

billing, which is different than Citi. This means that converted

accounts did not earn their Rewards for their May 2016 statements from

Amex. The rebates for both the May and June purchases will be combined

only on the June 2016 statement.

Archived