Flipping TT Axles

motojavaphil

We have a fairly steep driveway next to our house which we park our RV in. The two motorhomes we have had both want to scrape the driveway requiring me to make ramps to back up the grade and prevent contact. Our current rig is an F53 chassis in which the trailer hitch will make contact without the ramps. We are considering a 5th wheel or TT about 35' long.. I know the TT's tail will drag and possibly a 5th wheel may drag. Flipping axles might be the answer although I do not know what the amount of lift will be. Anyone flipped axles and what are the + and - of towing after flipping?

Thanks, Phil

Phil, Carol, Ariel, Grey Lady, SKP# 93039

2009 Carriage Cameo

2016 Ram 2500, CTD, 4X4

With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.

http://motojavaphil.blogspot.com/

To make our last 5er ride level when towing with my 4X4 dually, I added 3" spacers between springs and axles. Had to buy new, longer "U" bolts. I can't say how much it reduced dragging the rear cap/bumper, as I never did.

My axles were already below the springs.

Flipping the axles is a misnomer, as it cannot be done that way. Axles have a "set" in them to obtain the correct camber. What is actually done is weld new spring pads 180* from the originals, then move the axle below the springs.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We flipped the axles on our first fiver for the 4x4 height problem and while it worked it wasn't great. You will be taller which not only impacts what you can drive under but your stability so you'll have more lean on corners and wiggle in crosswinds if your conversion goes like ours did. For the wife the biggest aggravation was the much higher entry step, we had to get an accessory step so that she could get in and out and that thing was a pain, particularly if it got soft and muddy under it after a couple days of rain.

I'd avoid it if at all possible, ramps to get in and out of your drive are an aggravation only when getting in and out, taller is always going to impact you.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Flipping the axles or in reality moving the springs from the bottom to the top of the axle can be done. Be careful because you are raising the center of gravity by the axle diameter which could be 3-5 inches. Raising a 10,000 lb trailer 3-5 inches will have a big impact on stability. I once flipped axles on a flat bed trailer to haul a heavy dozer and the trailer was so unstable after one haul I but the axles back to the original design.

Greg

• 8 months later...

Caster wheels or anything added below the frame actually decreases your ground clearance. Also, you would need caster wheels strong enough to carry the weight of the trailer plus any impact stress when they bottom out. If you did go this way, the bumper most likely is not strong enough to support the weight. The strongest support member would be the frame. You might consider HD skid plates.

Greg

Sounds like you resolved the problem, but I will share my story anyway. Purchased a Weekend Warrior 5th wheel several years ago. It had been raised by the original owner for use in the "Dunes". It caused problems with my loading of the Goldwing that I was riding at the time with a very high angle to the loading ramp. So I had the axles "flipped" back to the lower position. Trailer pulled much better in the lower profile, and that's where it makes the difference in my mind. The occasional difficult terrain was much less of an issue.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Something to keep in mind with casters is that they depend on a solid surface like older asphalt or concrete, on soft stuff they don't have enough contact area and just dig in. If you plow a couple furrows in an RV park's new paving you can bet someone will be upset!

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived