50 Amp Surge Guard #81278 (34850) failures

jpatrickc

I'm just about to purchase a portable surge guard for my RV and started looking at reviews. I noticed there are a some reviews where the units have failed at 13 Months (Just outside the warranty period). It seems like these things are expensive if they are going to need to be replaced often.

How many of you out there have this surge protector and have you had any problems?

I understand that a lot of the time reviews come from the people that have problems so I thought it might be better to ask here.

I'd also like to hear any suggestions for different units that might be available.

2006 Chevy Duramax, DRW, ext cab, Long bed, Reese 18K hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo

Ham radio operator, WA3UOE

This last June, we bought the 34750 Surge Guard by TRC which has now been discontinued.

Last month, we lost power in half our 5thW and tracked it down to the outside. Once and extension cord was removed, we had power. The next day, same problem, so the Surge Guard was removed. Power restored. Whether it was faulty or not, we got a new extension cord and have not had any problems except with inside wiring issues.

We now use a different style.

http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/item/50-amp-rv-voltage-regulator/42293

2014 DRV
Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB .... our home
2014 Ford F450 4x4 .... his office
Fulltimers since 3/2005

Check out Progressive Industries portable surge protectors AND EMS (electrical management system) for complete AC power protection. We have a 9 year old built in EMS and when the relay started to fail due to improper installation (RV manufactured didn't tighten one power lug so it overheated) Progressive Industries replaced the relay at no charge. Greg

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/#!services/mainPage

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I owned a TRC-Surge Guard 34750(now replaced by the 34850) from 2001 through 2012 and the only problem that I ever had with it was that I had to replace the power plug due to it being connected to loose outlets too many times and so it got hot and distorted. I just bought the special tool to remove the rear cover and replaced the cord myself. I bought it used from another RVer who had owned it less than 1 year.

Since that time I have been using a Surge Guard 34730(now replace by the new 34830) for 3 years with no problems at all. It was also purchased used and was about 18 months to 2 years old when I bought it. It also works just as TRC says that it will. I have known a lot of people who have used both the TRC and the Progressive units and am aware of no major failures by either product.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I bought a Surge Guard 34560 model (50a hard wired version) in 2004 and it has served us very well in over 100k of travels since. The only "problem" we had was when it was totally destroyed by a lightning strike in about 2009. We did have some other damage but nowhere near the amount that coaches around us had, and TRC replaced the Surge Guard at no cost to us. We continue to use it, and it lets us know when something is wrong with the shore power ...the last time just a month ago. We would not hesitate to buy a TRC Surge Guard again.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

I have the Progressive 50 amp portable. Today it was sent back to be checked out, it may have been hit by lightening in Tampa last weekend.

That's what it's designed to do, be the weak link and save the trailer electronics.

I too have a PT50C and am glad yours worked for you. I am so concerned about incoming power I have a spare PT50C still in the box. If my primary one ever has to go back for service I have a spare.

Two days ago I plugged in at a new site and initially the line check failed. I turned the power off and then back on and all worked normally. But an hour later the 50 amp breaker tripped. It was hot to the touch. I will admit I had a lot of electrical load on it to warm up my 5'er, heat water, etc. The park replaced the breaker and no more issues. I knew something wasn't right initially, but it seemed ok for a while.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

We also have the Progressive 50 amp portable. It has saved us a few times. We have sent it back twice for repairs. Lifetime warranty is excellent. My only complaint is that it is big and heavy and sometimes difficult to stay plugged into an old outlet or if outlet is close to the ground it is difficult to use. We also bought the 30 amp adapter from them. We are amazed at people who don't have a surge protector.

2016 Keystone Laredo 355 RL

2008 Ford F350

We also have the Progressive 50 amp portable. It has saved us a few times. We have sent it back twice for repairs. Lifetime warranty is excellent. My only complaint is that it is big and heavy and sometimes difficult to stay plugged into an old outlet or if outlet is close to the ground it is difficult to use. We also bought the 30 amp adapter from them. We are amazed at people who don't have a surge protector.

Are you saying they fixed the portable for free more than once? My recollection is they fixed the built in for free no matter how many times it failed but only once on the portable.

Ed, good idea. I will order a backup to be shipped with the repaired one.

Are you saying they fixed the portable for free more than once? My recollection is they fixed the built in for free no matter how many times it failed but only once on the portable.

Portable or fixed is the same limited lifetime warranty. They will fix or replace (at their discretion) either multiple times if needed. The only "glitch".. if you could call it that.. is that it is exclusive to the original owner and is not transferable. You DO have to pony up for the initial cost, but then you're good for life.

Customer service-wise.. I would put them right up there with TST.

It looks like I need to check into the PT50C. I like the lifetime warranty. I'll have to compare the specs.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Pat

2006 Chevy Duramax, DRW, ext cab, Long bed, Reese 18K hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo

Ham radio operator, WA3UOE

We have a portable TRC Surge Guard 50A, but Country Coach installed it inside to the coach. The portable features allows us to simply unplug it, and bypass it if we ever have a need to. (And, we added a Hughes Autorformer into the mix, and the plug and play feature of the portable, allowed us to simply add this into the mix. And then remove it on our trip to Alaska, when a poorly run RV Park's generator fried our Hughes, which we had in line first.)

This is our second TRC Surge Guard, as our Bounder we had a portable 30A unit too. Which served us well for about 4-5 years before we sold the coach.

If I was buying new today, I'd go with the Progressive, due to the superior warranty.

IMO, either one will serve 99.999% of the RV'ing community well...

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I have the portable Surge Guard, not sure which model, going on 4 years now. No problems whatsoever. I have heard about the Progressive Lifetime Warranty but I believe that it is a limited warranty so read the fine print before you make a choice based only on the warranty. Both Surge Guard and Progressive are great products.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I have heard about the Progressive Lifetime Warranty but I believe that it is a limited warranty so read the fine print before you make a choice

Yes. It is limited. Basically.. if it fails while in the course of doing it's job.. you're covered, however, it's doesn't cover "acts of God" outside of it's intended operation. Zapped by lightening and it protects your rig, but the unit is fried... covered! Ask me how I know. :lol: :lol:

A few years ago I was installing a switch on a friends Progressive EMS unit allowing him to bypass the EMS if he desired to allow power from the pedestal directly into his fifth wheel. I made an error an blew up the EMS computer, sparks and smoke. I talked with Progressive Industries support line a told them what I did. He asked for our address and sent a new computer board free. I believe PI has excellent customer support. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Update on my Progressive power analyzer, Got it back last Friday, no charge, they even paid freight. The thing was completely rebuilt, logic pcb, cord and plug, gaskets. As it was, it had not been blasted by lightening, so the big guy missed this time. I tried to get a second one at a discounted rate but not to happen. 366$ firm. But, it's back and no cost except going and that was 35$ as I recall.

Archived