Sudden Slow Start

bmzero

Since I have owned the truck, it has started almost immediately after turning the key. Now, suddenly, after a perfect 2000 mile drive back from CA, it takes several (usually three, 10 second key turns) cranking attempts to get her going. After she runs a while, it will crank back up fine. The first time it did that, maybe yesterday evening, it was pretty cold, so I chalked it up to the temperature.

It has been cold here in AL, down to 20 degrees, but this evening when it took a while to crank, it was about 50 degrees. Cold could be a contributing factor, but I would think 50 degrees was warm enough to not contribute to the cause.

Any ideas?

2009 D16

Edited by bmzero

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Is it turning over slow or acting like it's not getting fuel? if turning over slow- Check your battery terminals. Make sure their tight. How old are the batteries?

Edited by Alie&Jim's Carrilite

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Fuel leak. Check the filter/separator. The cold weather raising the durometer of o-rings usually requires a little tightening of things. Sounds like you're just losing pressure overnight.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Thanks for the quick replies.

Yes, I do wait for the glow plug symbol to go off. I have not noticed any blinking of that light, but I'll pay attention next time.

It turns over quickly. I don't think it's related to the batteries.

I'm leaning toward a pressure leak somewhere. That would explain the sudden symptoms.

Edited by bmzero

I have an 09 with the d13 engine which also had a leak in the manual fuel priming pump which caused slow starting and required priming at times also. I had the fuel filter head/primer replaced and it seems fine now after 300 km. I have to say though that I could tell it had a slight miss or at the least sounded like it was running lean. When I did prime it there was fuel leakage around the primer while pumping.

2009 Volvo 670VLN

2012 Forrest River Cedar Creek 36RE

1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate

I have an 09 with the d13 engine which also had a leak in the manual fuel priming pump which caused slow starting and required priming at times also. I had the fuel filter head/primer replaced and it seems fine now after 300 km. I have to say though that I could tell it had a slight miss or at the least sounded like it was running lean. When I did prime it there was fuel leakage around the primer while pumping.

Mine will also miss after it idles for a while. A quick press of the throttle will clear it up. Sounds like that might be related. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I am now having the same problem. While heading South after being back in NE Kansas for a few days in January we got about 180 gal fuel at a small station by Durant, Ok. Then when we had used about 120 gal of that I noticed lower power, and mileage. Checked the filter/separator and drained about an ounce or two of water. I do carry extra filters so I changed that filter/separator, and checked the fuel in it, and found quite a bit of rust/dirt. Of all times, I didn't have an extra one of the other fuel filters on board, but it did start running better, and the mileage kinda' returned?? I have since replaced that one as well, but it still seems just a little short on power (maybe just in my head), and after it sits for even just a short time it requires 7-10 seconds of starter where as before it didn't. My prime pump only requires 3-4 pumps, and doesn't show any leaks, and even when I pump it up it still takes a lot of starter the first start. If I restart after a minute or two it starts after a crank or two. Does that mean the air leak is after the pump, or before? All new injectors and coppers in 2011, about 50K miles. How many places do I check for an air leak anyway?

BTW, I had an earlier post about a sweeping power steering hose, but got that replaced, with having to remove anything except the hose itself. Those crowfoot ratchet-heads sure come in handy. Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

• 3 months later...

Well, I have been busy with several issues since we got back to Kansas in late April, so haven't had enough time or brains to do much on the starting problem. Took the truck to the Volvo dealer (Westfall) in K.C. today, and just got a call that the "cam timing sensor" is bad. $650. I hope they are correct!! Another SENSOR! All this time I have been blaming my problem on fuel pressure lose after getting some bad fuel? I will post about the results later, and hopefully the problem will be solved. I will have to say, in our travels this last winter my overall MPG went from 6.5 to 6.4, and it seemed like the truck was working harder on the climbs. Maybe just between my ears???

Dick T

2016 Space Craft 37'

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

For my truck, it turned out to be a fuel valve somewhere near the head that was bad. Initially, the Volvo dealership thought it was the injectors. Only after replacing injectors did they realize that wasn't the problem. That one really hurt the pocket book. It turned out to be about $250 worth of parts. I went a few rounds with the service manager about that.

The tech's said the fuel prime device (hand pump), located on the lower driver's side of my engine (D16), is also prone to leaking pressure. That might be a good place to check.

I guess I could see a bad cam sensor causing this problem.

One way to know for sure if it is a pressure leak is to prime the system (using the pump mentioned above) and see if that prevents the long start after it has been sitting a while.

I was having hard starting and white smoke. It turned out to need injector cups for the white smoke (coolant) and 3 new injectors. I was also told early on that the tech could not pull a vacuum on the fuel system and that part of it was external. I replaced 8 - 10 O-rings in the fuel system and that helped some.

An aside. I keep hearing about a manual prime pump. Do they all have one? I have yet to find one on my 2004 Volvo 12 liter.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Picked up the truck today. Fast start, more power, better response. I was not sure what to expect as I was sure it was a fuel pressure problem. Had to eat some crow!!! Now if it only remains this good?

Tech tool, $140

Sensor $ 47

Install $420

Supplies? $ 67

I'm still happy!!! I have been fighting this the last 5 months, (slow start, poor mileage, slower response of power) I guess I didn't get bad fuel after all.

Now maybe my MPG will go all the way back up to 6.7. Dick T

2016 Space Craft 37'

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

An aside. I keep hearing about a manual prime pump. Do they all have one? I have yet to find one on my 2004 Volvo 12 liter.

Brad

Should be on the top of the fuel filter bracket. Loosen knob pump in and out till getting stiff and push in and tighten knob.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Glad you got it fixed!

Any chance you could share the part number of the sensor that was replaced?

Thanks,

Volvo #20508011 Cam Timing Sensor

I have replaced several sensors on the truck, but I think the engine has 14(?) sensors, or so I've been told, and didn't know about this one. No sure I would have tried the replacement anyway.

2016 Space Craft 37'

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

• 1 month later...

Let us know how much more mileage you get Dick. Glad it is running better.

We have had a very busy summer on the Kansas farm/home, so haven't been able to "go" much. We did take a small lake trip to Stockton, Mo. about 600 mile round trip. The truck is now running normal, the fuel mileage increase = "0" as far as I can tell from the DID. Still around 6.4 to 6.7, I guess my comment about better mileage was just wishful thinking. Oh well, it does now start after just a few turns like is used to. My son said they carry an extra cam timing sensor for his spray trucks, and have replaced them in the field, because when they go out on a IHC D-530-E it shuts them down. Must be in a different location on the IHC, because the Volvo repair was $650 +.

BTW, glad you guys are not homeless any longer. Dick T

2016 Space Craft 37'

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Picked up the truck today. Fast start, more power, better response. I was not sure what to expect as I was sure it was a fuel pressure problem. Had to eat some crow!!! Now if it only remains this good?

Tech tool, $140

Sensor $ 47

Install $420

Supplies? $ 67

I'm still happy!!! I have been fighting this the last 5 months, (slow start, poor mileage, slower response of power) I guess I didn't get bad fuel after all.

Oletimer:

Do you have any info you can share for that 140$ tech tool? Is that for pulling codes? Anyone on the street can purchase??

Thanks

Oletimer:

Do you have any info you can share for that 140$ tech tool? Is that for pulling codes? Anyone on the street can purchase??

Thanks

TechTool is the official software used by Volvo tech's to set parameters on the VCU.

You can purchase the PTT hardware and software at https://volvotrucks.vg-emedia.com/ProductListing.aspx?GroupId=547, although I'm not sure how it would work when you have to connect your computer to the Volvo network for software updates. I always take my truck into the Volvo dealer for software updates.

Thanks BMZ. I just check out their site and not sure if the prices have gone up... but they are proud of their prices! With 4 of them in our group, it just may be worth it!

It's a pretty simple tool to use, but not overly powerful without software support directly from Volvo. With it you can change parameters of your ECU, diagnose faults, and read through the various tech bulletins that guide you through suggested repairs. However, if your software needs updating or if you run into an issue that isn't a simple fix (parts swap), you'll need to get on the horn with Volvo and they will usually provide a software update to ensure everything is on the latest version. It's this step that I suspect would be the hard part if you were using PTT as an individual (not an authorized/trained/certified Volvo technician).

That being said, if I had three other buddies that lived close that wanted to go in on one, I would definitely put my share of money in the hat.

• 4 years later...
On 6/30/2016 at 4:31 PM, oletimer said:

Tech tool, $140

Sensor $ 47

Install $420

Supplies? $ 67

What parts did they changed? Please let me know. Thank you