Traveling to Canada with DUI

Spankan

Hello there are you lovely RV'ers! Me and my wife plan to find a Prevost bus conversion and travel full time... Starting around June 2016. I'm looking for legal help getting into Canada. I have been turned away at the Canadian border before for a few minor legal issues that happened many years ago..most notably a DUI in 1998. Nothing recent, no felonies ever. I tried to submit the "criminal rehabilitation" paperwork myself but it was rejected after a year, and no fees refunded, no paperwork returned, because ONE item was missing supposedly. I just don't want to go through the hassle on my own again and I am seeking to hire legal help at an affordable cost. Does anyone here have a refferal, or just good 'ole advice? Any guidance would be much appreciated!

I would probably be looking for a Canadian immigration solicitor to help with that, or at least help in obtaining a temporary resident permit.. although.. I don't know if "vacationing" would qualify as a justifiable reason to obtain a TRP, but it might be a short term fix. I don't know if they are any good, but searching around a bit, these folks seem to be advertising a specialty in that area and offer a free "comprehensive consultation". Free couldn't hurt. ;)

Posed DUI question to friend in Canada. Their answer was simple "Maybe Never" it is consider very serious problem there. Sorry, you may want to try to cross the southern border instead.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

I have a friend who is a Capt. on a private yacht. On a trip to Canada he was ordered to stay aboard the yacht and was not allowed to go ashore by the Canadian immigration authorities because of a 20 yr old DUI.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Howdy!

I only wished our country had as strick laws for entry into the United States.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Howdy!

I only wished our country had as strick laws for entry into the United States.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

Good news ...Chiefneon the rules for getting into the US are very similar to the rules getting into Canada. If i had any kind of criminal record, entry into the US would be denied regardless whether it was 40 years ago or last week! There are ways to get what is called a "pardon" that would allow one entry but that is something that would depend on how serious the crime. As far as entry into Canada with a DUI the OP needs only to contact Canada Border Services and ask what he needs for entry.

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 4 weeks later...

Having a passport has no impact on whether or not Canadian Immigration might deny entrance to the country. In our fleet of 250 drivers we have several dozen that have various items that Canada objects to, and they just don't go there. It doesn't even have to be a conviction, restraining orders are enough to stop entry.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived