Trial by Fire

redcrzr

I believe that is the term. Beth & I finally bit the bullet & headed down to Kansas to pick up our new Cyclone 4150 with the Volvo. Never pulled anything with it until Monday & then only about 4 blocks to park & do a once over. Left Tuesday morning on 12 miles of icy town road followed by 3 roundabouts and several hours later we're sitting in a snowy campground in Sioux Falls SD. Volvo seemed steadier on the road with the load than what I was used to when bobtailing.

We plan to be here for 2 nites & then back to WI. What a ride.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats but you might want to head south depending on where in WI you are heading. We are in SE MN near Lacrosse WI and we got 8-10" of snow yesterday. Be safe!

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

When you are brand new at a given skill, you know you have limitations and exercise an abundance of caution, which you did successfully. Very Good.

Human nature is such that as you gain experience, you get a little too confident in your still maturing skills, and that is when the problem can occur. Of course none of us have ever done that.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Did you buy your trailer at Kansas RV Ctr in Chanute?

2011 Volvo VNL 730

2015 Mobile Suites Dallas - Kansas RV Center

2017 Smart

2014 Smart...Looking for another HDT ride

2007 Freightliner FL60 Sportchassis

2008 Raptor Toy Hauler

2007 Dodge 3500 Dully 6.7 Cummins

2009 Heartland Big Country

Did you buy your trailer at Kansas RV Ctr in Chanute?

Yes we did. I thought that they gave us a great deal after shuffling with 4 very similar units in 4 different states. The internet helped tremendously. Kansas RV Center had our new rig indoors for the walk through & has up to 6 nights in a nearby campgrounds. James & Terry helped walk us through & James came to the campground the next day to help us figure out one of the TV's.

If you're in the area I would give them a call, they have a huge building full of very nice units in everybodies price range.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Ok, that was you in the green Volvo.

I saw it there with the new 5th early Tuesday morning.

Planned to stop on my lunch break but you had already pulled out.

1999 Volvo VNL610, Cummins M11 - 350/400 HP, 10 speed Rockwell - 'CHIEF'

Custom flatbed with TrailerSaver air hitch.

3 cyl 8000 watt Kubota diesel generator.

New Mexico April 2019.jpg

Latest update. Didn't make it home. Something came loose in the motor in Eastern MN. Sitting in motel in Lacrosse WI (thanks to tow truck operator "Bill"). Probably be Monday before I can get anyone to look at it. Great friends coming to rescue us tomorrow. Jan 1st. Hope everyone else is having a Happy New Year.

Todd E.

Mntom

Not sure yet, haven't been able to contact the service dept. I'm thinking Holiday hours. Friends are coming up to take us home & I will deal with my new trailer as soon as I find out what's going on with the truck. May need someone to drag the trailer for me down to Randolph WI--Between Portage & Beaver Dam.

Todd E.

Todd, sorry to hear of your troubles. We went thru Lacrosse yesterday about 2pm on our way to Black River Falls for NYE. We heading up to Minneapolis from here so won't be headed back that way till Saturday afternoon. Let us know if we can help in any way. Our HDT is parked for winter and has about 24" of snow piled up behind it but I can dig it out if needed.

Dave

Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

We are home, safe & warm thanks to good friends. I appreciate the offers for help. Sounds like the truck repair facility may look at it on Saturday. Will update when I know more as long as you guys don't get sick of listening.

Todd E.

Todd, any update on the status of the truck?

If you need anything, we are only 45 minutes from Lacrosse when we are home.

Dave

Star Dreamer

Nothing new. I put a pin lock on the trailer today when we came through La Crosse.

Volvo is supposed to get looked at during 2nd shift today.(Monday) I hope to know more on Tuesday. We are back home in Randolph for now. Thanks for your interest.

Todd

Service tech. says that he can see metal parts in the #5 cylinder. I gave him permission to pull the head off to see how much damage has taken place & to help decide if we fix it or start the sad process of parting it out.

Todd E.

Are you talking about the motor or the whole truck?

Can't they do a rebuild or an inframe?

Someone should be able to source a used engine somewhere.

There's enough people on this forum who could make a call or 2 to see what's out there.

The parts guy at the Volvo place here in Boise said if there was anything I needed in the way of parts, I should call him.

I have his contact info, he can network it.

Roger

Not much on a diesel that can't be repaired. They are very straight forward and modular. Short of a cracked block you should be OK. I'm betting on a piston/liner and probably the head rebuilt (valve job) since it's already off.

What year and engine are you running?

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Yeah, it can almost certainly be rebuilt. Doing that or not depends on what you have invested in it and how you feel about the truck. That is a real bummer.... :(

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

1999 Volvo w/D12. They are checking the head to see if it's OK. That could be the deal breaker. I had no other issues with the truck. Don't know when to cut my losses. We'll see what they find next. Looking to get my trailer back to Randolph WI if anyone of you great people know of someone in the La Crosse WI area that might be interested in pulling it home for me. Just got a unreasonable estimate from a transport Co. I could use that money to fix the Volvo.

Todd E.

Archived