Volvo Headlights Upgrade

Jemstone

One of the frequent complaints about the Generation 2 VNL trucks is their abysmal low beam headlight performance. My 730 is typical and needs the xenon bulb upgrade for any future night driving. Having viewed the video that showed the replacement procedure I realized that I would need to have the job done by someone competent, which disqualified me. Does anyone have a recommendation for a business or person who can tackle the job and is also in the Phoenix metro area?

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

Jemstone we upgraded our 730 a few weeks ago, what a difference!!! We ordered a complete light upgrade including new lenses from http://deepspacelighting.com/. Installation was a breeze, 4 10mm nuts to remove lenses. David from deepspace preinstalled the lights into the lenses, so all we had to do was reinstall and plug lights in. You won't believe the difference!!!!!

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

Jemstone we upgraded our 730 a few weeks ago, what a difference!!! We ordered a complete light upgrade including new lenses from http://deepspacelighting.com/. Installation was a breeze, 4 10mm nuts to remove lenses. David from deepspace preinstalled the lights into the lenses, so all we had to do was reinstall and plug lights in. You won't believe the difference!!!!!

That is what I did as well. It makes a HUGE difference. Installation is simple if the lense is upgraded at the same time. That is what I recommend. David installed ours, but it really is as simple as Bob described. And adjusting the throw location is very easy to do...

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I did the light up grade and it made driving at night do-able from being so bad it was scary for old eyes. Now I would like to upgrade the housing. I have tried a couple of times to polish the lenses but they never last.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

So who has the lenses and how much? May as well do it right.

David will build you the entire thing - bulbs already installed and ready to drop into the current lens housing.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

So who has the lenses and how much? May as well do it right.

Roger, the best place (my opinion) for aftermarket housings is Advantage Truck Parts. They have the Depo housings usually for right around $340 a pair.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

I wish the complete kit had been available when I did mine. It is truly one of the best upgrades a person can do.. Lights are so important. I am not sure how anybody can drive with the stock lights. I would like to be able to buy the headlight housing without the bulbs and low beam projector

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

"I would like to buy the headlight housing without the bulbs and low beam projector "

Me too. I have David's lights but my housing only polishes up for a couple of months then yellows again.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Here's a link to the Depo housings: http://www.advantagetruckparts.com/volvo-truck-parts/set-of-volvo-vnl-headlights-82329127-82329124/

If you have the first version of the kit, it'll swap right over. If you have the later version (no LED), you'll need a different set of mounting brackets (though as of this week there's a new bracket design that works for both).

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

That link takes me to their site with the high and low beams installed.

What to do with a few extra low beam projectors?

Also I must have the first version as the high beam is a LED bulb.

I have had Dave's lights since spring of 2014

Is that a correct assumption ?

David, What do I have and what do I need? Lights were installed earlier this year and there is a long drive coming up. Night driving will be necessary. I'd like to know where the can be bought. If soon enough Chris could install them. It is 2 > 3 weeks 'till I leave for Florida if thing work out with Mom.

I have David's HID/LED KIT. it is simple to install. Results are fantastic! IHMO the only way to get back a clear plastic lens that holds up is to sand it with 400/600 wet paper and then spray coat with a high solids urethane clear. You can buy a spray gun at HF for about $10 and Summit Racing sells the clear and hardner. Once sprayed even better results are achieved by wet sanding again with 1000/2000 grit paper to remove any irregularities then buff with a mild compound on a foam buff to a glass-like surface. Do not try coating with lacquer or acrylic from a rattle can. It will scratch easily and only last a few months.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

That link takes me to their site with the high and low beams installed.

What to do with a few extra low beam projectors?

Also I must have the first version as the high beam is a LED bulb.

I have had Dave's lights since spring of 2014

Is that a correct assumption ?

Greg--that would be the first version. The extra low beam projectors aren't worth much--though I know a few of you have handed the glass lenses to grandkids for "science projects".

David, What do I have and what do I need? Lights were installed earlier this year and there is a long drive coming up. Night driving will be necessary. I'd like to know where the can be bought. If soon enough Chris could install them. It is 2 > 3 weeks 'till I leave for Florida if thing work out with Mom.

Roger,

The housings I linked above will work for you, but you have a version of the kit where the brackets aren't directly compatible. Assuming you're still up north of the border, the best way to deal with the brackets and your timeframe would be to add a standard height nut between the mounting bracket and projector, and replace the 10mm long M4 screws with 15mm long screws. You might need to drill out the upper mounting holes slightly to get everything lined up just right. E-mail me if you need help here.

You should probably check in Canada for the housings also--shipping would take a while from NC (where Advantage Truck Center is), and the exchange rate isn't helping you. Just make sure you get Depo housings, not one of the unbranded (or other lesser quality) housings.

Even without the new housings my lights from David are so much better it is hard to believe. I was driving on new, black and wet pavement while it was raining and the lights cut right through the rain and road spray. This is an incredible upgrade that everyone should have.

I plan on new housings and upgrading my driving/fog lights when they are available.

You can never have to much quality lighting!!!!!!!

Are there going to be upgrades for the fog/driving lights??

www.jackdanmayer.com

Yep. They're getting closer. Just got the first of the lights in this week, and I'll be working on finalizing the mounting brackets later this month. Look for them in early January.

• 2 weeks later...

Closer still. They'll be ready to start shipping January 4th, maybe a little sooner. After it gets dark tonight, I'll take a few pictures and maybe some video comparing the stock fog light to the LED light, but fair warning--it's a pretty big difference. The way it's put together, it's also a super easy install--especially if you have a one-piece bumper where you've got easy access to the back of the lights (a Philips screwdriver being the only tool needed).

And for the Freightliner crowd, a fog light kit will be available at the same time, with a brushed stainless mounting ring and the same LED fog lights that will be in the Volvo kit. It'll be a little bit more expensive, but mostly as a result of the extra metal hardware. In both cases, it's a single plug on the LED fog light assembly that connects directly to the factory wiring.

The listings for both are up now, and I'll be adding photos and more detail late this evening.

20151222_190517-e1451077212742.jpg

Sign me up for a pair David. They look as awesome as your headlight are!!!

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

Well, I have the lighting kit for my Volvo. I'm surprised by those of you who quickly and easily installed the components. The box was battered but none of the components appeared damaged. The bulbs arrived in their boxes, not installed. The written instructions to a person of my limited mechanical and electrical skills are daunting. I'm also too recently out of surgery to remove the headlight assemblies, so I'll have a mechanic do the installation. Probably, considering my mechanical gifts, cheaper in the long run.

Are there any after market good quality headlight covers for 730/780s? My driver's side plastic headlight cover is more translucent than transparent. I can buff it out, but it will soon be foggy again due to constant small abrasions. There are some amazing materials that would resist abrasion far better than plexiglass or whatever Volvo uses for headlight covers. As it now stands, Volvo's approach to night driving seems to be that it should be done only in emergencies. Therefore, Volvo appears to supply headlights for emergency use only, so the abrasion resistance of the light covers is not so important, nor is the brightness of the low beam. For such a well engineered truck the low beam headlights should be an embarrassment.

It's totally unrelated but I've got to mention that we are having a wonderfully warm season in central Arizona. The gem and mineral shows in Mesa, Quartzsite and Tucson kick off in two weeks and this is the time to explore the low desert. If you are a golfer, rock hound, hiker, photographer, birder or mountain biker, but you don't like snakes, now's the time to be outdoors on the low desert. Most of our cold blooded residents are hibernating or are fairly sluggish at this time of year.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

Hi Jemstone,

If anything arrived damaged, definitely let me know. And if you need help, don't hesitate to call.

As far as the headlight covers, there's really no good fix. Polycarbonate (which is the only material other than glass that gets used on headlights) yellows with UV exposure, and the miles that these trucks see are more than enough to wear off any fancy coating that the manufacturer might put on. The abrasion test is pretty minimal, and the UV exposure test is separate from the abrasion test, so the latter just proves that with a perfect coating it'll last 3 years. Not nearly rigorous enough in my opinion. There are a few outfits that sell replacements, but the amount of effort required to split the light in half without damaging it isn't worth it.

Archived