Phaeton or Journey?

tb919

Good morning all. Would really like opinions/comments/suggestions/etc . We are in the market and have the opportunity to see a 2015 Phaeton and a 2015 Journey both 40ft. They are new but end of year and the dealers want to move them so it's a good chance to get a better price. So what say you to these two? Thanks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had friends who moved from a Phaeton to a Journey a couple years back and they are happy they made the change. We also have friends who are Tiffin all the way. Both Tiffin and Winnebago have owners who defend their brand like it is a religion, but they both have their good and bad points. (We are still partial to Newmar.) Look over both motorhomes up and down, including storage, cabinet work, battery compartments, etc. Those differences are likely to make the decision for you.

I will also say that the dealer telling you they are giving you a better price might be smoke and mirrors. Be careful.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I'v been looking at Tiffin vs Winnie for awhile. What you may find - I do on the models I'm looking at - is that the Tiffin has standard features that are options on the Winnie, OR are only available on a higher level product in the Winnebago. Carrying capacity, and other infrastructure items tend to be better in the Tiffins - at least that is what we are finding.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks for the replies. I agree both have their pluses and minuses. The Phaeton has so many more features and is less than the Journey. At least on the two we are currently looking at. We have a Winnebago now and have liked it and have been considering the Journey for a while but when comparing what is already in the Phaeton and isn't even offered on the Journey it seems worth a look at the Phaeton. Just as you observed Jack.

Bill, you are so right about how passionate the owners are. We've found the Tiffin fans to be almost like a cult and we are just not interested in wanting to go to Red Bay to get service or whatever. It's almost made us not want to even look at the brand but then again there ARE so many of them out there. Tiffin fans and motorhomes. Newmar is a good product but not for us for many reasons but we've looked at them too. Just haven't found the right one. We haven't spoken to a dealer yet so they aren't influencing the decision at this point, just going by the prices they are posting. One dealership is where we purchased our current RV and we don't mind doing business with them again.

Still welcome any other comments and appreciate all.

And , don't forget to slam the door on both models . If it sounds tinny , you'll have to be careful what you say or the 'noises' you might make . The neighbors will not have to ask what ... ;)

If it has a good solid , almost dead , sound , no worries .

We just had a new winnie close to us and the thing sounded like a tin can when the door was being closed and when the bay doors went shut . Just sounded really cheap . We could hear the sound tracks of movies being viewed . Never gonna buy a Winnebago . I know , never say never , but ...

Goes around , comes around .

TB, we are not a cult, we like the fact that you can go to Red Bay and get things fixed . I have Tiffin fix things on our 2010 Phaeton just last year at no cost. Try doing that with a Journey after it is 5 years old. As far as going to Red Bay to have work done, you don't have to do that, Tiffin has many dealers across the country . If you re in an area where there is no authorized dealers, call Tiffin and they will authorize the work to be done. I was in Alaska in 2010 and our step motor went out, the RV shop called Tiffin and they took care of every thing. Does Tiffin have problems, you bet as with all manufactures. But, I doubt that you will find that stand behind their product like Tiffin. As far as a Journey, I have friends have them and like them, so it is a matter of choice.

BTW, I don't know where you are located, but you can E-mail Davis RV in Memphis, TN, Sherman RV in Mississippi with what you are looking for and you have bids out to other dealers and you will be surprised what offers you will receive.

Ron
US Army retired
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2016 Ford F150 XLT

Ron, I meant no disrespect about the cult thing. Hey we're looking to become part of it too. It just sometimes seems that way but I appreciate the passion Tiffin customers have about their brand. I'm like that with our cars. When you get good service it's something to be valued. Especially nowadays.

Fortunately we are in an area where we could get a Tiffin serviced. We live in the Dallas area. Thanks for the tip about emailing dealers. Never would have thought of it.

tb no offense taken, I have heard that those 2 dealers mention will save you big $$. I did not use either, I used Lazydays, Seffner, FL didn't know then what I know now.

EDIT: ab go to this site and you can read all about Tiffin, you have to join the site (free) but it will give you a wealth of information from A to Z.

http://www.tiffinrvnetwork.com/index.php

Ron
US Army retired
2016 Ford F150 XLT

We are sort of unusual in that we owned a Tiffen product and when we bought new we left Tiffin. There were a number of reasons for that but we still rate them to be one of the top echelon of RV builders, if not the top. In my view, Winnebago/Itasca is the next rank down in that they probably match Tiffin in dealer support but they do not match the long term support that Tiffin gives those who do take their rig to Red Bay. If you want major issues corrected, most RV manufacturers will do more at their factory than any dealer will do, but Tiffin sets the standard.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

OK, so what dealers are known to give good prices on the Tiffin?

BTW, nothing wrong with belonging to a "cult". I belong to one now... :) (New Horizons)

To me, looking at both of them closely, there is no comparison. The Tiffin is better. And if you try to upgrade the Winnie to the level of the Tiffin, you will probably find the price nearly the same, if not more. It depends on what you want on it....and some things you simply cannot get from Winnebago. Nevertheless Winnebago makes some nice coaches. To me their floorplans are better thought out. I find the Tiffins are not quite as suited for long term use...at least not without modifications. But that is for ME...and everyone's needs and expectations are different.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

TB, we are not a cult, we like the fact that you can go to Red Bay and get things fixed . I have Tiffin fix things on our 2010 Phaeton just last year at no cost. Try doing that with a Journey after it is 5 years old. As far as going to Red Bay to have work done, you don't have to do that, Tiffin has many dealers across the country . If you re in an area where there is no authorized dealers, call Tiffin and they will authorize the work to be done. I was in Alaska in 2010 and our step motor went out, the RV shop called Tiffin and they took care of every thing. Does Tiffin have problems, you bet as with all manufactures. But, I doubt that you will find that stand behind their product like Tiffin. As far as a Journey, I have friends have them and like them, so it is a matter of choice.

BTW, I don't know where you are located, but you can E-mail Davis RV in Memphis, TN, Sherman RV in Mississippi with what you are looking for and you have bids out to other dealers and you will be surprised what offers you will receive.

These 2 Jack.

Ron
US Army retired
2016 Ford F150 XLT

These 2 Jack.

Thanks Ron....

www.jackdanmayer.com

Well the Phaeton sold-fast as I knew it would so we will begin the search again. Thank you to all who replied and gave me some good ideas. There's still a Journey to look at down in Kerrville,TX this coming weekend. Although that could sell before we get there. I do think we are leaning towards the Phaeton so will put out feelers for one and check the two places mentioned in the previous posts.

Safe travels to all.

Well the Phaeton sold-fast as I knew it would so we will begin the search again.

My neighbor just sold his 2010 Phaeton which still looked almost new. I don't recall the mileage it has but know that his biggest problem in selling it was the lack of places that would take it as security for a loan.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Well the Phaeton sold-fast as I knew it would so we will begin the search again. Thank you to all who replied and gave me some good ideas. There's still a Journey to look at down in Kerrville,TX this coming weekend. Although that could sell before we get there. I do think we are leaning towards the Phaeton so will put out feelers for one and check the two places mentioned in the previous posts.

Safe travels to all.

TB look in the classified section of the forum I referenced. There are many good coaches that you can save big buck on.

Ron
US Army retired
2016 Ford F150 XLT

There are many dealers in the southeast who will discount Phaetons 28-30%, especially new orders that they don't have to floorplan. When we ordered our 2015, I sent e-mails to 5 dealers in Alabama, Tennessee, and Mississippi with the specs on what we wanted to order. They all came back within $1,000 of each other. When I then asked for a trade-in price (2008 Phaeton trade), Davis in Memphis beat the others by a lot, and we bought there. Based on my research, they gave me book low retail for the 2008, and 28% off of list on the 2015. They sold my trade for a price that was in the middle of the NADA low and high retail prices for that coach at the time. (I talked to the buyer before he bought the coach!) We never went to the dealership until we took delivery. All communications were by e-mail and phone. We also talked to Tiffin many times during the build to make sure that we got what we wanted. (I changed specs after the order was entered, added AGM batteries, heated tile floors, fireplace and outside TV)

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Remember that all the manufactures use the same components inside, such as the water heater, water pump furnace etc. The one with the floor plan you like should be at the top of your list. General construction should be reviewed next and then after the sale customer support from both the dealership and factory is also a consideration. Tiffin is good in construction and tops in support. Additionally as others have already said Tiffin includes a lot that of things others charge extra for as an add on option.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

You are all so right about what Tiffin includes that others have as options and not everything at that. It's what made us really take another look at Tiffin and make the comparison between the Phaeton and Journey. We're starting to be swayed to the Tiffin side now. :-)

I haven't seen mentioned a used diesel. There are many available, and at price points not to be overlooked. And you won't take that huge depreciation hit. Over 5yrs. ago we bought used and wouldn't change a thing.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Archived