It appears Verizon did it.

lappir

Haven't seen the bill yet but yesterday was my end of previous month and beginning of the new month and now cannot use Foxfi for my WIFI hot spot, or so it appears. Attempted my usual routine yesterday morning plugging in the phone starting Foxfi, grind the beans of coffee, pour the water turn on the computer and wait to hear the blip that the computer has connected with the phone. Didn't happen. Foxfi unable to start. Ok, happens sometimes if I haven't rebooted for a while will fix later. Hit the park WIFI. Came home last night after work, did a restart of the phone on the way home, try again. Nothing. Another attempt this morning and have a message that I need to add a service to my plan to be able to access my unlimited data. Haven't hit the buttons to see what that means yet. Anyone else have a similar issue? Resolutions? Used 30 GB at last check last month. Mostly streaming TV shows that I can't seem to stay awake for when the are originally broadcast. Thanks,

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

What phone? I heard that the Samsungs got a new update which disables FoxFi. It's happened in the past and FoxFi eventually figured it out. This time they may or may not.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

The 2012 FCC decision that decreed that tethering and hotspot access had to be free for most customers specifically stated that grandfathered unlimited customers would have to pay for this service. Because I wanted to ensure that I was fully compliant with respect to Verizon's TOS (terms of service) on grandfathered plans, I've been paying for hotspot service since then. I reasoned that the unlimited service overall was worth a lot more than $30/mo since we routinely use 80-100 GB/mo. It's not surprising that Verizon finally got around to preventing "unlimited" customers from circumventing its TOS.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We've heard from several folks in our internet group that are experiencing the same thing. Here's an active thread on Reddit we found where folks are talking about the issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/3tn43c/foxfi_stop_working_on_vz_again/

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Thanks for the responses. It's a new to me S5 have had it just a few weeks. Had been using an S3 for several years before. I don't believe I am circumventing a TOS with the use of the program. It's just an easier way of connecting my phone to the computer. When I first purchased my data plan in an actual Verizon store I told them the reason for the purchase and that I would be using my phone as my internet source for my laptop or any other computer that replaced it. Was told verbally multiple time that was what their data plan was for. Of course that was 10 years ago and if I walked into the same location again no one would still be there to verify. I will continue to research and hope for a resolution. I already pay what I feel is almost excessive, especially with the new charges that I have heard about. With my Motorola Droids in the past I had used "Tether", but it required plugging my phone into the laptop for a USB connection. It caused issues with the port on the phone with apparent 'more than expected connection repetition' syndrome. So the Foxfi has worked better in that sense. Anyway..............................................................

Thanks again.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Rod, I've read on a couple of other websites where it is suspected that FoxFi's VPN was down. If that's the case, perhaps you'll be up and going again soon.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I don't believe I am circumventing a TOS with the use of the program. It's just an easier way of connecting my phone to the computer.

Here's an excerpt from one of the many articles that were published in August 2012 after the FCC issued its ruling:

• Current customers with grandfathered unlimited data plans still have to pay. Unfortunately, if you want to tether with your unlimited plan, you have to either upgrade your plan to one of the new, Share Everything plans (which include tethering), or pony up $20/mo for Verizon's "Mobile Broadband Connect" service. You can still tether off the books and hope you don't get caught, but if they catch you, Verizon will either sign you up for Mobile Broadband Connect, put you on a Share Everything plan, or terminate your contract. Sorry.

The entire article can be found here: http://lifehacker.com/5933152/the-right-to-tether-what-the-verizonfcc-settlement-means-to-you?sidebar_promotions_icons=testingoff&utm_expid=66866090-67.e9PWeE2DSnKObFD7vNEoqg.1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Is it true we can signup for broad band connect without losing our grandfathered plan? I am paranoid to change anything. Still getting foxfii on a samsung 3 but paranoid not to turn anything off fearing it will not come back.

Dave and Lana Hasper

Here's an excerpt from one of the many articles that were published in August 2012 after the FCC issued its ruling:

• Current customers with grandfathered unlimited data plans still have to pay. Unfortunately, if you want to tether with your unlimited plan, you have to either upgrade your plan to one of the new, Share Everything plans (which include tethering), or pony up $20/mo for Verizon's "Mobile Broadband Connect" service. You can still tether off the books and hope you don't get caught, but if they catch you, Verizon will either sign you up for Mobile Broadband Connect, put you on a Share Everything plan, or terminate your contract. Sorry.

The entire article can be found here: http://lifehacker.com/5933152/the-right-to-tether-what-the-verizonfcc-settlement-means-to-you?sidebar_promotions_icons=testingoff&utm_expid=66866090-67.e9PWeE2DSnKObFD7vNEoqg.1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

I will be watching my bill for the reported automatic addition of the extra $20. I don't want to speak with them because I have heard they attempt many different ways to get you to say yes to a service change that I do not want. It happened once but I was able to return to the store after reading the entire document that was printed out as my "confirmation" that they did what I wanted (which they didn't). I don't think anyone tethers off the books. Anyone using more than a few GB has to be doing something else than just watching things on their phone.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

You can add tethering without affecting your grandfathered plan. I did it

Just did, Thanks.

2007 Honda GL 1800

Sitting here with my S 5 and FoxFi not working like all of you. I will be using cg wifi for a few more days then my MiFi. Hoping that FoxFi can get back in business with hotspot. connect it is way convenient. Otherwise I will have to go into a store and add the dang mobile service. My UDP goes back to the beginning - same number same account since 1985 - before Verizon bought the prior company.

Last time I went through this I called VZW and by the time I was done FoxFi was working and my plan had been changed to ShareEverything or what ever and I started getting notices of too much data. I called and got through to a high level tech and after 72 hours my UDP was restored retro to the idiot's taking it away from me. Don't want to go through that again.

'12 Phaeton 36 QSH hauling '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon 4 down. Follow our travels Click here

Sitting here with my S 5 and FoxFi not working like all of you. I will be using cg wifi for a few more days then my MiFi. Hoping that FoxFi can get back in business with hotspot. connect it is way convenient. Otherwise I will have to go into a store and add the dang mobile service. My UDP goes back to the beginning - same number same account since 1985 - before Verizon bought the prior company.

Last time I went through this I called VZW and by the time I was done FoxFi was working and my plan had been changed to ShareEverything or what ever and I started getting notices of too much data. I called and got through to a high level tech and after 72 hours my UDP was restored retro to the idiot's taking it away from me. Don't want to go through that again.

Then, don't go into the store to do it. The stores are full of vultures who prey on unsuspecting customers. You can sign into My Verizon and add the hotspot feature by yourself. In fact, you can turn it off and on any time you like and it is pro-rated. You can sign into My Verizon either on your computer or your phone and add the hotspot feature.

Verizon...Two smart phones, One Jet pack.40 Gigs of data. Wife also has two nooks and she streams pandora radio..We use it all over the country with excellent results.Monthly bill is 254.98 expensive yes but it is what we need. The jet pack is our only means of internet access.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Mind died on Saturday. No WiFi but I can still use USB but that doesn't help me with my Samsung Tablet. I did check my billing statement and the rate for my phone went up $20. Are they going to want me to pay another $30 on top of the $20 just to get my tablet hooked up. I want to learn all I can before I call them. I did file a complaint with the FCC. I'll watch here for any updates on how to solve this problem.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

Mind died on Saturday. No WiFi but I can still use USB but that doesn't help me with my Samsung Tablet. I did check my billing statement and the rate for my phone went up $20. Are they going to want me to pay another $30 on top of the $20 just to get my tablet hooked up. I want to learn all I can before I call them. I did file a complaint with the FCC. I'll watch here for any updates on how to solve this problem.

Got my bill today and find the rate has increased too. The USB tether is working but it's not as easy as the hotspot activation. Did try to do the Bluetooth but it didn't connect. Hoping for a resolution too.

2007 Honda GL 1800

Bluetooth still server connectivity still works. If your tablet has Bluetooth then try it that way.

We found that it helps to do a complete shut down of both phone and computer, then on again, before trying these alternative connection methods.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Thank you mkc. mine is connected again now.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Archived