singling a truck

kimlarsen

bit of bad-news rv burned up think ins is buying new one or covering some of the cost of replacement. very interesting to show up and see fire department. the trailer i had was heavy 23k plus loaded pulling donner summit or bishop pass proved extremely difficult. so new trailer looking at will be bigger and heavier, FYI i lost and argument to replace the existing with same. so i think were going to upgrade to an HDT. My wife and kids Rodeo so there gone a quite a bit and its not like you can pull over going up bishop pass. HDT is only way. Found a sterling day cab little bit unproductive for us at this moment.Seats two. I read an article by Jack Mayer and referenced singling a truck and the cost associated with it. I'm in California at the moment and looking for a reference to single a truck. it seems to me much more feasible to single a tandem and go that route. if anyone has a reference or direction to go please let me know.

An information source Jack may have mentioned in the article is RVhaulers.ca. Greg's site has a good many videos on building a HDT hauler. Great site, and Greg is a helpful, quality guy.

Here's the link: http://rvhaulers.ca

Judy LeMosy

2007 New Horizons Summit 38' / 2001 610 Volvo with Smart Car on bed

There is a bunch of information on my website - link in my signature. I'm not sure where you read that info from - there have been a number of magazine articles that I have written on HDTs....or it may have been on my website.

Take a look at Gregg's site an watch the video playlist of the conversion of my truck. I think it will be educational. LINK

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

There is a wealth of knowledge already dispensed in the Resources section. I would only mention that some trucks single more easily than others. That is a major reason for the popularity of the Volvos. You also have a choice in singling short, long or mid. Very few folks single mid way between the tandem axles, but it is done and offers some advantages. Most folks single short, though I singled long as I wanted deck space. The area where the wheels were are now large storage bins with close to the amount of storage our 5ver's basement has.

If I was able to choose my truck by styling I'd have a long nosed Pete with tall stacks or a Kenworth. However, I'm quite happy with a Volvo 730.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

You also have a choice in singling short, long or mid. Very few folks single mid way between the tandem axles, but it is done and offers some advantages. Most folks single short,

Singling mid is actually very popular. It allows a deck long enough to carry a Smart car without overloading the rear axle or unloading the front axle too much. It's about a $2-3k option at places like Herrin Haulers. It makes most trucks look more aesthetically pleasing to the eye as well.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Yes, lots of people are singling mid these days. It costs a little more in labor to redrill the holes. But in the grand scheme of things it is not a lot additional. You need to look carefully at what you will carry and how it will affect weight distribution. It may not be an issue for YOUR load, but then again it may be. You don't want surprises.

Let me know if anyone gets a truck singled (now) for $2K...because that is just not going to happen in my opinion. I don't see how it can be done properly for that.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

We Singled Short on 6/17/15 for $2482. This included new Brake Chambers. The Material Cost was $964, the Labor cost for Driveshaft work, reposition # 3 Axle and alignment was $1460. This shop specializes in Springs & Drivelines, so they built and Balanced the Shaft. There is only 2 holes to drill.

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

Martin Spring & Driveline Inc. Kalamazoo Mi. 269 345-1633. They have been around a long time and did a great job. The owner Steve was very interested in our project. He was thinking of building a HDT for themselves. They are involved in racing and have a fab shop as well.

Bob

Bob&Kay

Those are very good prices. Did they include replacing parts other than brake cans?

And $1800 for a singled mid is almost unbelievable.(I believe you, but if you do it I would like to see the final price.)

Both those prices are the same or less than most frame shops would do the work for 10 years ago. I'm assuming that they completed the ABS work as well, including reprogramming everything so VEST still works properly?

www.jackdanmayer.com

I spoke with owner at length about this. This is there primary work along with beds and such. They do drive shafts, complete job. I asked about cans and he said they replaced them. Company is Lecolift in Houston. He also quoted me 3k on a flat bed, includes sand blasting and paint. This is 3/16 decking also. Dove tailing would be extra. That was on the 780 I was considering. My plans have changed and plan on getting a factory single T600 around first of the year. Should have some time off then. May still use them for bed but the moduler design currenty being born is interesting.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Had to reprogram single axle @ Volvo. 150.00

Invoice for Single was as follows

Brake Chambers 130.00

6 ea. 3/8 line connectors 89.94

5 ea. 3/8 line ends 54.95

6 ea. 3/4x3 Bolts 51.00

1 ea. End Yoke 217.00

1 nut hardware kit 22.32

1 Pinion Seal 30.82

1 U-joint 105.00

1 Weld Yoke 187.00

Other Shop Supplies 75.00

Total 963.92

Labor

Shorten & Balance Driveshaft 150.00

Remove #2 Axle and #3 in place 1080.00

Redrive Aligment 230.00

Labor Total 1460.00

Tax 57.83

Total 2481.75

This shop does all kinds of work on Gliders, Grain trucks, Silage trucks and Builds Decks for all kinds of applications.

Bob&Kay

Glenn, why did Sweeten Volvo send you somewhere else? They did mine in-house, in the body shop. And reprogrammed the ABS brakes the right way too.

I have no idea what the break down was, but I spent about $6500 there. Sand blasted and painted the frame before the bed was built, fixed (yeah, it didn't last) the body cancer on the door, replaced all 4 shocks, a cab airbag and some other stuff along with singling. Heck, they even sold my commercial hitch and the axle for me.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Don't know but said they didn't do that work. Sent it all to Lecolift. I was surprised because I remember you stating yours done there. They no longer have any used units on website either. Just new ones

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Don't know but said they didn't do that work. Sent it all to Lecolift. I was surprised because I remember you stating yours done there. They no longer have any used units on website either. Just new ones

I'd be scared to say no to a big guy with a 9mm on his hip

And a 2 liter bottle of DR PEPPER in his hand. ?

Mine was about 2700 plus the cost to reprogram the computer and abs. Those last 2's cost escapes me. The original cost was 2700 that include installation of the Jackaloppee and the air hitch. Only problem, the singled it long by mistake so herrin re singled it mid. He farmed it out to a local outfit in Kilgore who charged 2000$ US.

In my case with 12k front axle, my concern was one of possibly overloading singled long. Not fond of the look either. Load on a 3k lb deck, 2200 lb car plus contents of storage boxes and a generator and the lack of taking weight off the front axle with the trailer on the hitch. This was an easy decision to make.

That's weird. I'm gonna have to call Eli in the body shop and see whats going on. :unsure:

I'd be scared to say no to a big guy with a 9mm on his hip

And a 2 liter bottle of DR PEPPER in his hand.

The scary part is when the Dr. Pepper bottle runs dry, BH :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived