OmniLynx was just shut off

etrippe1

Because at this particular moment in time, they are more concerned about growing the size of their customer base than the impact on their network. If the size of their customer base grows great enough that the service begins to degrade below what their customers will tolerate, they will begin to restrict and/or eliminate that offer. Their customer base has already proven more tolerant of service footprint restrictions, perhaps they are betting that they will also except poorer service quality if the network demand from unlimited data as well.

Verizon and AT&T customers are quite intolerant of poor service quality and limited footprint. And it's easy enough to switch between them to avoid those issues. They can't afford the same risk that Sprint can, but Sprint's (& T-Mobile's) presence in the market helps to hold them in check on pricing and service capabilities.

I again agree with your statement!! I am waiting for details now of the New Sprint announcement lol.

Alan & Andi

2016 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 4x4

2012 Toyota Camry ( Andi's follow car)

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 ( Business Truck)

2009 Wilderness Travel Trailer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Verizon DID provide a "service or product" to all. Their unlimited plan was available to everyone. I had it as well as others. They then changed their offering to eliminate the unlimited plan. BUT they grandfathered in all the existing customers - like you. EVERY business changes its offerings over time, based on market conditions. As far as I can tell Verizon offers all its customers the same things. And always has. I have not seen any "discrimination" on Verizon's part. But perhaps I missed it.

I totally understand what has happened in the past and how market conditions change. I don't necessarily agree with how one or two companies handle that change and in this case how it negatively affected many. If one can offer it then I don't see why the others can't offer it as well.. Just put a price on it ( Unlimited Data) and see what the market will bear. Say like one line $500 monthly unlimited data..see if the market will buy it. Don't do the ok we give you 50G for $500 as part of your plan and then if you go over we are going to stick it to you.. Which is what they all do...Knowing that every app and program is now just chewing up data so fast.

Alan & Andi

... and is putting profit before customers.

So, as a small business owner, you put customers before profits? How can you have customers without profits? Please tell me where I can purchase your products or services below your costs - you will have me as a customer, at least for the short period you will be in business.

So, as a small business owner, you put customers before profits? How can you have customers without profits? Please tell me where I can purchase your products or services below your costs - you will have me as a customer, at least for the short period you will be in business.

Mine is actually a service... And yes I do put my clients first. And yes I do make a profit ..enough for me to live a comfortable life..I have other income as well (Disabled retired Veteran), Wife is still working as an RN and of course investments. Of course I am in business to make a profit but I will not Gouge a client!!! Nor do I want my customers to feel like they have been taken advantage of.

I deliver my service for a fixed price. The fixed price is determined by scope of the service being provided. But still the customer knows exactly they will receive and how much it will cost them up front.. No overage fees or the like. I don't change my business model every other month or every year. It has been the same for almost 20 years now.

I don't do it below my costs nor does any other business I know of. BUT many businesses price their services/products reasonably and anyone can buy them at same price. I can't go into Verizon and say give me an Unlimited plan like others have....Why because they changed their model of business for to make more profit ( Just my opinion).

If you would like to utilize my services, please contact me offline and I will be more than happy to see if you 1. need my services and 2. want to utilize those services.

One thing is for sure..You will get the same service as I would give other customers at the same cost for the same thing.

Alan & Andi

... And yes I do put my clients first. And yes I do make a profit ..

You could get far more customers if you price your services lower all the way to free but you are willing to forgo those bottom fishing customers and keep those that will pay you a fair price ie allow you to make a profit. So you do put profits ahead of customers since you admit you price your services so as to allow you to make a profit.

Yet you condemn Verizon for doing the same thing.

You could get far more customers if you price your services lower all the way to free but you are willing to forgo those bottom fishing customers and keep those that will pay you a fair price ie allow you to make a profit. So you do put profits ahead of customers since you admit you price your services so as to allow you to make a profit.

Yet you condemn Verizon for doing the same thing.

I don't condemn them for making a profit..Never have..Please read all posts ..Got to love forums..I am glad ppl are talking about it!!! I respect your opinion Duffman. Just to be clear Duffman, I have offered my services for free in a charitable contribution ..So yes I have done it to where I have "Lost" money

Alan & Andi

Wait no more.. :)

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/11/18/sprint-50-deal-att-verizon-tmobile/

And here is Sprint's explanation version for kids, in video format: https://youtu.be/hYUpBuLGeW4

Yeah I see that..Same as it was last year or whenever they offered this plan.

I am not to keen on that one either.. Sprint's coverage is very poor outside major cities. I get that..I am not outside of a major city though..lol their unlimited plan works for me.

I am actually still in Sticks N Bricks and have wifi for most of my needs. However, when traveling, I still have my sprint phone and netgear zing.

Sprint is not going to make its competitors "Upset" with this deal LOL..

I for one will love when the industry evolves even further and prices come down and quality services delivered. Just look at Televisions and the like. I am at a luxury as I can wait for the industry to evolve. But, I know others are to impatient for this evolution to happen.

Alan & Andi

Yeah I see that..Same as it was last year or whenever they offered this plan.

I am not to keen on that one either.. Sprint's coverage is very poor outside major cities. I get that..I am not outside of a major city though..lol their unlimited plan works for me.

I am actually still in Sticks N Bricks and have wifi for most of my needs. However, when traveling, I still have my sprint phone and netgear zing.

Sprint is not going to make its competitors "Upset" with this deal LOL..

I for one will love when the industry evolves even further and prices come down and quality services delivered. Just look at Televisions and the like. I am at a luxury as I can wait for the industry to evolve. But, I know others are to impatient for this evolution to happen.

Sprint's "offer" is essentially for the same purpose as T-Mobile's nutty BingeOn.. Its just a way to short-term buy some customers away from the major players (in the major metropolitan areas where Sprint actually works). Many of whom will return to Verizon/AT&T if they need more coverage or better service.

Offer only applies to new customers, and provides nothing these customers did not have already.

As technologies improve and infrastructure investments get more complete (comparable to some of the peanut size countries in Europe), prices will surely come down some.. Less investment need, while still maintaining earnings for shareholders.

But this is a really, really large country with endless spaces to expand into. So don't assume that significantly cheaper or larger services will necessarily be there in what remains of our lifetime. It will take some disruptive technology to make that happen.

And really "Unlimited offers" will not arrive until infra-structure significantly exceeds the number of possible customers (including the extreme abusers).

OR.. Like in the Sprint case, where all included "Unlimited data" is on only very old technology and speed. Such as in Sprint's case including "2G only Unlimited", to be the throttling factor keeping people's usage in the realm of reasonable.

You are more likely to see European style offers out in the future.. Such as 300GB or 500 GB plans, available in high-density covered areas.

Which for example in a country like Denmark is much easier to handle, because there is physically no way to be far from a cell-tower and much less infra-structure to build (and still they have uncovered areas. :) ).

The main stretch in Denmark (Jutland) is only about 11,000 sq miles in size and only 260 miles long. :) Compared to the US, about the size of a peanut and with only 5 mill people total living there.

I repeat, if one thinks that the telecoms are making huge profits from pure greed and could deliver a better product at a lower price, then they should go into the business. The big four cellular providers are the big four because they did it better than everyone else. There were once hundreds of little startup cellular providers, mom and pop operations. You could have been one of those, you still can be. They started with an idea, risked their own money, rounded up investors. They didn't all start out rich, but many of them ended up that way.

There's enough economic ignorance illustrated already in this thread, I'm not going to even address all the profit margins, operating costs, return on investments, etc.

I will say this. I do have unlimited data from Verizon. I use about 5 or 6 gb per month as I tether my laptop to it for most of my internet. However, to my knowledge, everyone in this discussion had the opportunity to get the same package at the same time I did. Don't blame me if you didn't have the foresight and vision to sign up.

As far as Verizon getting rid of unlimited data, they have done quite well in that pursuit. They have gone from 17 million subscribers with unlimited data three years ago to just over one million today. They just three days ago increased the cost of the unlimited data feature by $20/month in hopes to reduce that number even more. However, Verizon is not loosing money on those accounts, their profit margin may not be as high but they are still making money.

It may interest some to know that Verizon Wireless has never forced anyone off of a plan. Every plan they ever offered has been grandfathered until the customer decided to change it. This even includes plans which people had with other companies that Verizon took over. I'd say that's an example of Verizon putting their customer ahead of their profits. I'm still on an America's Choice Plan which I've had for over ten years. It still benefits me to stay on that plan.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Yes, there used to be lots of smaller telecom companies, and I am sure that some went broke, however, I believe that most that are no longer around were bought by the bigger companies. In this day and age, you dont have to beat your competition, you just buy them.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Yes, there used to be lots of smaller telecom companies, and I am sure that some went broke, however, I believe that most that are no longer around were bought by the bigger companies. In this day and age, you dont have to beat your competition, you just buy them.

Very true!!

Alan & Andi

Getting away from the "greedy Verizon" thread drift for a moment, I wonder if Sprint coverage is broad enough in the Huntsville area to make the Karma "Neverstop" $50 unlimited data a viable alternative to the previous Verizon plan. The Neverstop plan is limited to 5Mbps, but I'd think that might be fast enough for most student needs short of HD video. There would be no contracts needed, and the $2.25/mo price increase shouldn't be a burden. The biggest impediment would likely be the $149 initial cost for the Mifi, but perhaps the school district could manage a need based subsidy program, or perhaps a lower cost bulk deal with Karma.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Getting away from the "greedy Verizon" thread drift for a moment, I wonder if Sprint coverage is broad enough in the Huntsville area to make the Karma "Neverstop" $50 unlimited data a viable alternative to the previous Verizon plan. The Neverstop plan is limited to 5Mbps, but I'd think that might be fast enough for most student needs short of HD video. There would be no contracts needed, and the $2.25/mo price increase shouldn't be a burden. The biggest impediment would likely be the $149 initial cost for the Mifi, but perhaps the school district could manage a need based subsidy program, or perhaps a lower cost bulk deal with Karma.

Dutch that is an excellent idea!! Granted not the speed Verizon is but it would accomplish the job/mission there to help students. I did have a look at Sprint's coverage area and it looks like most of the Huntsville area would have 4g, some with 3g. I didn't see any of Sprint's "Spark" coverage there though.

Alan & Andi

Dutch that is an excellent idea!! Granted not the speed Verizon is but it would accomplish the job/mission there to help students. I did have a look at Sprint's coverage area and it looks like most of the Huntsville area would have 4g, some with 3g. I didn't see any of Sprint's "Spark" coverage there though.

I don't know if the Karma MiFi would use Spark anyway, although I doubt it. If the Huntsville school district fits within the Sprint footprint, it sure looks like a viable alternative to me.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived