Induction Cooking vs. Gas ?

Specifically, because the gas is better for boondocking. The induction can certainly be used offgrid if you set your system up to handle it, but the gas is far easier to deal with in those circumstances.

Other than that - just "history". Gas has been used in RVs for a long time.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Depending on your chosen surroundings, this prevents the addition of extra/wasted heat into your space that has to be compensated for. With pets, the extra safety seems nice.

Also, from my understanding - it's not going to be so big a strain as to make boondocking that much more difficult? Less energy is wasted than both using gas or electric.

We have yet to use the gas stove. We predominately use a BBQ grill outdoors (less lingering odors, better flavor). When we do cook inside it is with induction for the hot plate stuff, convection oven/microwave when needed.

Edit: We cook with induction when it is a simple one pan type meal otherwise we have to rely on the oven to keep things warm. Example: bacon, eggs and hash browns.

To answer your question however, look at prices. Propane is VERY inexpensive when compared to European or most world wide equivalents. Also, lets face it, induction got a bad reputation with some of the extremely poor quality and persistent non uniform heating problems. Then with RV'ers add the fact it is extra stuff to haul when the gas stove comes standard. So you have market forces leaning toward traditional gas burners.

Final mark: Good induction: $120/requires specific cooking pots/pans. Gas burner: $25 or even less/nothing special needed, can cook with sticks.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Specifically, because the gas is better for boondocking.

We predominately use a BBQ grill outdoors (less lingering odors, better flavor).

Propane is VERY inexpensive when compared to European or most world wide equivalents.

Gas burner: $25 or even less/nothing special needed, can cook with sticks.

X2 on all counts.

it's not going to be so big a strain as to make boondocking that much more difficult? Less energy is wasted than both using gas or electric.

Without a massive solar array and battery bank, induction cooking just isn't viable for most boondockers. Like Dennis was saying.. $125 for a single plate, but then you may also have another $600+ in supporting equipment just to be able to run it. Energy unit to energy unit, induction IS more efficient, but not necessarily 'available' energy when boondocking.

As Dennis also mentioned, there are alternatives to a gas stove top which are both economical, convenient, and add to the whole dining experience. ;)

It is a power hog. We have a single plate.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Gas stoves cost less to install and they will work when you have no electricity from any source. In lower priced, smaller RVs there are no solar panels and many of them are too small to put many solar panels on them, yet they are fully functional for use in many places where there is nothing to power an induction heat source. The same reason that gas refrigerators are still most common as are gas water heaters and furnaces.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

As full-timers we cook essentially the same meals that we would have had in a s&b. Cooking outside on a grill is fine for some foods but we sure wouldn't consider it appropriate for many others. Our induction burner is a key cooking appliance along with the Breville toaster/broiler/oven, the pressure/slow cooker, the microwave convection oven and the residential gas cooktop that we were fortunate enough to have had Beaver install as OEM.

Our induction burner is excellent for slow simmering (not all are) since it can reduce power down to 10% of maximum. Contrary to the implications in some of the previous posts, it doesn't require anything out of the ordinary with respect to cookware. If a magnet will stick to the bottom of a pot it will work.

Much of this thread has dealt with the concerns relative to using such an appliance when boondocking. Maybe it's worth reminding this group that not everyone boondocks. My wife and I have put on 50,000 miles full-timing over the past five years and have boondocked less than five nights in that entire time. I'm not making a value judgement on that, but let's not derail this discussion simply because the appliance isn't well suited for that style of RVing.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Well said.

As to the earlier reply about not using Europe as an example. Most Europeans would never put up with the junk North American manufacturers routinely pass off as acceptable.

Current European RVs are generally beautifully put together and have very innovative designs.

Geo

As full-timers we cook essentially the same meals that we would have had in a s&b. Cooking outside on a grill is fine for some foods but we sure wouldn't consider it appropriate for many others. Our induction burner is a key cooking appliance along with the Breville toaster/broiler/oven, the pressure/slow cooker, the microwave convection oven and the residential gas cooktop that we were fortunate enough to have had Beaver install as OEM.

Our induction burner is excellent for slow simmering (not all are) since it can reduce power down to 10% of maximum. Contrary to the implications in some of the previous posts, it doesn't require anything out of the ordinary with respect to cookware. If a magnet will stick to the bottom of a pot it will work.

Much of this thread has dealt with the concerns relative to using such an appliance when boondocking. Maybe it's worth reminding this group that not everyone boondocks. My wife and I have put on 50,000 miles full-timing over the past five years and have boondocked less than five nights in that entire time. I'm not making a value judgement on that, but let's not derail this discussion simply because the appliance isn't well suited for that style of RVing.

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

I,er, we agree! We bought two Nu-Wave induction cooktops and ovens. One set is in the MH the other at home. Both work very well without adding heat to the kitchen area. We did have to buy new cookware because our old set was all aluminum, but it was time to replace the old beat-up stuff anyway.

Concerning electrical power; I time cooking with battery re-charging, watching news and weather,etc when boondocking.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Hello!

I couldn't find any discussions about induction cooking, so I thought I would ask!

It's not very popular in the states, but induction cooking is very popular around the world - and I wonder why anyone would chose gas over it in an RV specifically?

Thanks for your help!

Just do a forums search for the word induction. You will get most of the threads from the past several years.

We have been gasless for cooking for more than 4 years. I got a Max Burton unit to replace our gas range (used the gas range only a couple of times since 2011) and a Breville Smart IQ toaster oven (the big one) to replace the gas oven (which is now additional storage). We rarely boondock but do have a generator if we need some ac power but haven't yet.

41ZNcqmfqvL.jpg71meYcwWBPL._SL1500_.jpg

To us, the benefits of the induction hotplate are:

1. No extra humidity inside from the burned gas.
  2. No real need to run the obnoxious range vent blower for anything other than cooking odors
  3. Forced us to condense two overfull storage shelves of miscellaneous pots and pans into 1 nested complete set of stainless steel cookware that takes up a 12" diameter column of space on 1 shelf. We also have an induction friendly pressure cooker and a couple of old sentimental standby cookware pieces (which we never use) and a lot of reclaimed cabinet space.
  4. Since the power it uses is proportional to the heat setting (on ours), it is not the typical ON/OFF only power draw that many induction hotplates have.
  5. Combined with the Breville Smart IQ Toaster/ convection oven, our gas cooking appliances are completely redacted.. Our Microwave is not a combo Microwave/convection oven so the Breville really replaces everything about the gas oven without all the fumes, humidity and venting requirements. Yes, the Breville Smart IQ will heat up the place a bit but it does its job so efficiently that the total amount of heat that escapes into the room is far less than from the gas oven.
  6. In every case, the cookware can be used on multiple heat sources including a campfire, if absolutely necessary.
  7. A pressure cooker is an often overlooked convenience for the RV life. Very often multiple parts of a meal can be cooked in just one operation and in 20 - 40% of the time it would take in an oven or pot. We had a stainless steel one from 50+ years ago in the basement (s+b, of course). Bought new gaskets for it and retasked it for the RV.
  8. Though it is rare to do so, we take the hotplate outside to cook things that leave a lot of latent smells. Things like broccoli, fish, liver, etc. Because it is flameless, we can cook under the awning, even in rainy weather.

For us, adding the induction hotplate was a first step towards more counter space and less humidity and heat in the RV. Combined with the Breville SmartIQ Toaster/convection over and the pressure cooker, we have a complete food preparation solution that has completely satisfied our full time life in our RV for over 4 years. We added the SmartIQ oven 18 months ago and really wished we had bought that solution much earlier.

Good life.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

You say your are "gasless"??? I assume you mean for cooking? Or do you mean you replaced your propane furnace and your propane hot water heater as well?

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

As to the earlier reply about not using Europe as an example. Most Europeans would never put up with the junk North American manufacturers routinely pass off as acceptable.

Current European RVs are generally beautifully put together and have very innovative designs.

The fact is that RVs so small and expensive do not sell well here. Your opinion doesn't match that of most of the US buyers.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The fact is that RVs so small and expensive do not sell well here. Your opinion doesn't match that of most of the US buyers.

X2. I didn't see anything there that I would even consider. It kind of takes the joy out of camping when you have to 'lift this', 'crank that', 'rotate' n 'slide' here just to move about the place and get a little sleep.

Kirk, the point was about well designed and well built. Have you actually seen any of the mid to high end RVs built in the last 5 years in Europe?

Most of the really nice stuff isn't offered in North America, probably because there isn't much market for small but nice.

At least we are starting to see a trickle of high quality, high efficiency appliances like the Truma continuous flow water heater becoming available. And of course the European solutions like Eberspacher and Victron have a pretty good market in OTR and marine respectively.

In RVs you have to go to a pretty high end unit here to match mid range in Europe. It wasn't always that way but the industry has changed quite dramatically.

They aren't very big because the infrastructure won't support a big unit like we take for granted here.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

I now wish I would have gone with the Induction cook top with my trailer a few years ago. I contemplated and was sort of talked out of it by the builder. Since the first winter in Iowa I have not uncovered the gas cook top and use one or two induction hot plates for the majority of my cooking. I'm single and usually prepare my meals in a single skillet, but have cooked for several on occasion. If I build another trailer it will have and induction cook top and if I want to use gas I will fire up the Coleman propane stove. I haven't filled a propane tank in over two years. I do turn on the gas water heater on occasion just to be sure nothing has built any nests or anything in the burner. (after a visual check of course)

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

They aren't very big because the infrastructure won't support a big unit like we take for granted here.

That's the key point. The consumer base is entirely different. I don't think it's a matter of 'who does it better'. I'm sure any U.S. company could but together an equally adorned 21' Class B in the $175,000 range.. but who would buy it?

Rod, you can still remove the gas cooktop and put in some induction modules. Should not be that big a deal to do.....

www.jackdanmayer.com

That's the key point. The consumer base is entirely different. I don't think it's a matter of 'who does it better'. I'm sure any U.S. company could but together an equally adorned 21' Class B in the $175,000 range.. but who would buy it?

Yarome, it may be your key point but it certainly isn't mine.

My point, which I'm quite happy to stand by, is that "And, I've never considered Europe as a standard to hold up to anyone on anything." from Chirakawa is arguable, although its his point of view and he's welcome to it of course.

The European RV industry does some really nice, innovative and high quality work. The mainstream RV in Europe is arguably better built and better designed than its mass market equivalent in North America. I spent quite a bit of time in the last year or two looking at both. We are gradually starting to see some European stuff starting to filter into this market, like the Truma water heaters, and - surprise, surprise, - they work better than anything comparable we have here.

You don't have to agree, that's one of the things that makes the forum fun. I completely agree that North American companies can make some really, really nice RVs. New Horizons, Forks, Spacecraft and several other manufacturers do really nice work. But the mainstream, in my opinion at least, are pretty horrible which is borne out by the literally hundreds of threads about crappy build quality over the years on Escapees. Then we get to the low quality, low efficiency, short lived RV appliances we are stuck with here, but that's another thread. But consider for a moment that both Newmar and DRV have moved their 5th wheel product ranges downmarket in terms of infrastructure if not glitz. Arguably not a good trend, and I consider both of them fairly high-end manufacturers.

My next unit will have induction for sure, and a battery bank and inverter capable of driving it for at least short periods. I prefer domestic appliances to anything with an "RV" label on it.

Going in the opposite direction, it seems Airstream is doing quite well in Europe. I just tripped across this gem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_DW-pSCk2k

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Rod, you can still remove the gas cooktop and put in some induction modules. Should not be that big a deal to do.....

Jack, that is something I have thought about. Would make things a lot easier once it's done, especially since my gas is a conventional residential size. My only worry is running what to do with the new hardly used gas unit.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Archived