OmniLynx Unlimited Data from Huntsville City school changes coming

IRUNL8R

I just got an email from Paypal informing me that Huntsville City schools as stopped accepting automatic payments from me from my account.

I called Omnilynx as soon as I got this message and spoke with the person who coordinates the program.

He did not go into detail but said an email would be coming from Omnilynx about changes. I asked if they were canceling the program and he replied "No". He then told me that to wait on the email and it will explain "the changes" that are coming. I asked to update my billing information so that I could pay by credit card and again was told to wait until after I received the email.

Doesn't sound like a good change is coming!!!

Here is the number I called... 256-428-6858

See if any of you can get any more info....

Alan & Andi

2016 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 4x4

2012 Toyota Camry ( Andi's follow car)

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 ( Business Truck)

2009 Wilderness Travel Trailer

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this is certainly distressing news. It makes me very insecure about the future for this service. And I am just getting used to the unlimited data! Too good to be true. I wish they'd just come out and end this frustration. Either they continue or end it. Just come out and do what they have to do. Hope we see something soon. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Any news we discover about the OmniLynx Payment cancellations will be published in this placeholder article:

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Well I guess the waiting is over! Just got the following email from Huntsville.

"Huntsville City Schools canceled your automatic payments. This means we'll no longer automatically draw money from your account to pay the merchant. If you have any questions, you may ask Huntsville City Schools about this cancellation."

The shoe has finally dropped. Well it was good while it lasted! Dennis

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

And I just go this email from Omnilynx...

Dear Subscriber:

We regret to inform you that your wireless service will terminate effective November 30, 2015 (the “Termination Date”). This termination of service and any resulting inconvenience has resulted from the service provider, Verizon Wireless (“Verizon”) and its decision to discontinue its support of the program. Needless to say, this circumstance is unfortunate and we are disappointed by Verizon’s decision – particularly in light of the fact that Verizon publicly endorsed and applauded the Omnilynx program less than one year ago.

As of the Termination Date and in accordance with your terms of service, you will no longer receive wireless services pursuant to the Omnilynx program, and we will no longer accept payment(s) for such services. Balances received in advance of service will be prorated and promptly refunded to you.

Thank you for your support of the OmniLynx program.

Alan & Andi

OK! Well the second shoe just hit the floor! It's over!

"Dear Subscriber:

We regret to inform you that your wireless service will terminate effective November 30, 2015 (the “Termination Date”). This termination of service and any resulting inconvenience has resulted from the service provider, Verizon Wireless (“Verizon”) and its decision to discontinue its support of the program. Needless to say, this circumstance is unfortunate and we are disappointed by Verizon’s decision – particularly in light of the fact that Verizon publicly endorsed and applauded the Omnilynx program less than one year ago.

As of the Termination Date and in accordance with your terms of service, you will no longer receive wireless services pursuant to the Omnilynx program, and we will no longer accept payment(s) for such services. Balances received in advance of service will be prorated and promptly refunded to you.

Thank you for your support of the OmniLynx program."

It was good while it lasted! Nothing like good old fashioned greed to end a good service. Dennis

Hmmm. Class action anyone? I would think that anyone that signed up for this and went through the inconvenience of changing their services around had a reasonable expectation that the program would last longer than it did.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Ok Now my next question will be.....

Did they cancel this program for ALL persons on this plan meaning the students as well or just those who are considered "General Public"..

If I have a child enrolled in Huntsville city schools can I get the unlimited plan still????

If that is the case I will be speaking with friends that I know from the military that may have kids in Huntsville city schools and try to access that way.

Open for discussion on this question

Alan & Andi

Hmmm. Class action anyone? I would think that anyone that signed up for this and went through the inconvenience of changing their services around had a reasonable expectation that the program would last longer than it did.

Geo

They were very clear up front that they could terminate at any time or was subject to throttling, and it was clearly no contract.

(We also highly advised anyone considering signing up to NOT switch/cancel other services for this one, as we didn't not expect it to last.)

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Ok Now my next question will be.....

Did they cancel this program for ALL persons on this plan meaning the students as well or just those who are considered "General Public"..

If I have a child enrolled in Huntsville city schools can I get the unlimited plan still????

If that is the case I will be speaking with friends that I know from the military that may have kids in Huntsville city schools and try to access that way.

Open for discussion on this question

That's an excellent question.. and we don't know the details yet. I really hope that Verizon allows the continuation for the original intentions of serving the students and staff.

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:

I was half kidding, although it wouldn't surprise me if someone started a class action. Obviously the right people were not speaking with each other when this got going.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

I wonder if only the Public was terminated - I wonder if anyone directly affiliated with the School System is left alone???

Lets face it - we knew it was a loophole and all flooded into and abused the program. Can't blame Verizon for slapping the school system's hands. The school system set themselves up to compete directly with Verizon's core business!

I m sure they never "OmniLynx" and Verizon did not expect that the RV community would gain information on the program and subsequently have sooo many sign ups in a very short amount of time. Verizon knew what was going on as soon as they had quite an increase in plans coming at them from OmniLynx. Hence Verizon quickly put an end to the "General Public" Offerings. I am sure Verizon then applied more pressure to OmniLynx to cancel the already signed up subscribers in order to keep it for students. Last 2 sentences are just my opinion only.

Alan & Andi

Per the original sign-up agreement, after 2 payments it is yours. Bet there will be a whole bunch up on Ebay tomorrow!

Not after 2.. After the 13th month.. (Basically a 12 months pay-off.)

So legally, all devices still belong to OmniLynx (Verizon).

But since Verizon probably don't want to end up with a pile of thousands of used devices, they might just let y'all keep them. As an incentive to come to the office to enable them for "normal" service. :-)

Per the original sign-up agreement, after 2 payments it is yours. Bet there will be a whole bunch up on Ebay tomorrow!

I believe it was 12 payments - but I hope it was 2!

We really never got much use out of ours since we are volunteering in mountains of NC with no Verizon data available. We did take it down the mountain several times and it worked great. We are finishing up here and leaving Sunday southbound and will use the h-## out of it until 30 Nov Will wait to see what the deal is with the Jet Pack.

We will go back to using our hot spots and Verizon's unlimited data plan!

Bob & BJ
On the road (part time) to ournextstop!
2019 Bounder 35P
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Oscar)

Here are the original terms for owning the device:

The OmniLynx™ Program offers access to free equipment upon establishment of new line(s) of wireless Internet service. Though no term contract is required to participate in the OmniLynx™ Program, ownership of equipment does not transfer to a user until the first day of the thirteenth (13) month of consecutive service, per line. In the event of service line termination prior to the first day of the thirteenth (13) month of consecutive service, all equipment must be returned to the OmniLynx™ Offices at 200 White Street, Huntsville, AL 35801.

However, with the entire program being shut down, I can't see OmniLynx needing the devices back. We are awaiting answer from them, and have unconfirmed rumors from earlier today (that so far matched what has gone down so far) that we might get to keep them.

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:

I believe it was 12 payments - but I hope it was 2!

We really never got much use out of ours since we are volunteering in mountains of NC with no Verizon data available. We did take it down the mountain several times and it worked great. We are finishing up here and leaving Sunday southbound and will use the h-## out of it until 30 Nov Will wait to see what the deal is with the Jet Pack.

We will go back to using our hot spots and Verizon's unlimited data plan!

You're right

"The OmniLynx™ Program offers access to free equipment upon establishment of new line(s) of wireless Internet service. Though no term contract is required to participate in the OmniLynx™ Program, ownership of equipment does not transfer to a user until the first day of the thirteenth (13) month of consecutive service, per line. In the event of service line termination prior to the first day of the thirteenth (13) month of consecutive service, all equipment must be returned to the OmniLynx™ Offices at 200 White Street, Huntsville, AL 35801."

as to the questions about the jetback......

The OmniLynx™ Program offers access to free equipment upon establishment of new line(s) of wireless Internet service. Though no term contract is required to participate in the OmniLynx™ Program, ownership of equipment does not transfer to a user until the first day of the thirteenth (13) month of consecutive service, per line. In the event of service line termination prior to the first day of the thirteenth (13) month of consecutive service, all equipment must be returned to the OmniLynx™ Offices at 200 White Street, Huntsville, AL 35801.

The OmniLynx™ Program offers access to an unlimited data plan that is not otherwise accessible by non-government users. Due to the potential for increased burden on network infrastructure during peak hours of utilization, the service provider reserves the full right to reduce data transfer speeds (commonly referred to as "throttling") as necessary.

The OmniLynx™ Program reserves the right to deny provision of services or to terminate existing account services if and as deemed necessary for the benefit of the program. In the event that an existing line of service is terminated at the option of OmniLynx™, the unamortized (prorated) portion of all prepaid balance(s) will be promptly refunded to the user(s).

International roaming is not covered under the Unlimited Data Plan. Any additional charges due to roaming usage billed to HCS will be passed on to the customer.

Alan & Andi

Yeup, just got my cancellation email as well. Oh well. If it is too good to be true than.......

edit. and an email from Huntsville cancelling the recurring Paypal payments.

George and Ann Marie

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS, 640W of Solar

2012 Ram 3500, DRW, Cummins, Big Horn, Q20, Retrax Pro

Retired US Army

Glad I kept my Verizon Unlimited Plan:)! Was double paying until 2016 Q1, to see if this would remain an viable long term service...

I know the 13 months until the Jetpack is yours, but noted they did not say anything about this in their release. I will send mine back to them, as I suspect they can at least recoup some costs.

Sure would have liked to heard the full story. Did they offer a plan to the general public that they were not authorized to do so to? Or, were they authorized per their agreement with Verizon to do so, by some mistake by Verizon in their agreement. And now Verizon is shutting the door on them at renewal time?

Competition is coming to the big cellular carriers, and their lobbyist and hip pocket politicians will not be able to protect them forever. Heck, remember when the mail was delivered twice a day, and Western Union was the way to get info to someone in an emergency communication? Someday we'll look back on cellular carriers monopoly and say 'Remember when they'd stick it to their customers whenever they could, for every penny possible?'

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I also received my OmniLynx cancellation notice today. I will really miss this unlimited service at such an excellent rate.

I suggest Escapees management investigate the options to negotiate with the cellular carriers to get a competitive data rate for its members. Probably wishful thinking on my part, but perhaps there is an option for a more favorable data rate as a group.

Thanks,

Jack Reed

Jack and Mary Reed

Full Timers since 3/1/2011

2006 American Tradition

2013 Honda CR-V

Archived