Is the Windows 10 upgrade a good thing to do?

Kirk W

What is your opinion of W-10?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. If you have done the W-10 upgrade, are you happy with it?

• I regret that I ever did the upgrade. W-8.1 was better.
    • I regret that I did the W-10 upgrade, butnever used W-8.1
    • W-10 is far better than W-8.1
    • W-10 isn't great, but is better than 8.1
    • I have w-10 but am not sure it is an improvement
    • I bought a new computer with W-10 and like it.
    • I bought a new computer with W-10 and do not like it.
    • I love W-10
    • I hate W-10
    • W-10 is a step in the right direction and has good features.
    • I am not going to upgade to W-10 from my old OS.
    • I have not yet made my decision.

Now that W-10 has been in use for a while, how about sharing your experiences and opinions? Should we change or hang on to what we have?

I thought you were now all Apple, Kirk???

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I thought you were now all Apple, Kirk???

Just shows what happens when you start thinking! :D Actually I have both. Been transitioning for my main computer over to a Mac but still use the old W8.1 for some things and also have a practically new tablet that is 8.1 with an included upgrade.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, my advice is that if you are going to go Apple go all the way. iPhone and iPad. Nothing Android. The Apple stuff works well together. Assuming you want the hardware to share info. If you don't care then you can stay mixed.

Joe, W10 is a pretty nice user interface if you use it as intended. I actually like it. And like the apps. I do use them fairly extensively. It has it's flaws - as I've noted. But until it becomes unusable I'll stick with it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Joe, W10 is a pretty nice user interface if you use it as intended. I actually like it. And like the apps. I do use them fairly extensively. It has it's flaws - as I've noted. But until it becomes unusable I'll stick with it.

Thanks Jack,

My current machine is running Vista. :ph34r: The other machine I have, that NEVER goes online, is running Windows 7. My main problem with Microsoft is that they keep changing the product so as to make the previous systems totally incompatible. And I hate having to learn a new system every time someone in Redmond, WA farts. :angry: Just my .02

That said, I have begun looking at the Surface Pro 3

Joe

Joe

The "Doghouse" 04 Tiffin Phaeton 40TGH

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

So you want the operating system do new things but not change? Great expectations.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

:rolleyes: I will see as I have upgraded my old Acer that Had Win/7 Ultimate and now is W/10 Pro. I just upgraded my Gateway that had 8.1 HE; than crashed and installed Linux Mint; upgraded and now have W/10 HE. My little Dell 12" screen has Win/7 Pro and is not being touched. B)

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

So you want the operating system do new things but not change? Great expectations.

Not really, vista works just fine for me. However it is no longer supported because of all the other changes they have thought they needed to force on us. I realize many folks enjoy doing many more things on their computers than I do and that is fine. I would just like a system that works well and that they LEAVE THE HE!! ALONE. Again, just my .02

Joe

Joe

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

You want the operating system supported, which means continuing changes to deal with new world conditions, but you don't want it to change.

You do not have to change. There are people still running XP. Nobody at Microsoft is forcing you to do anything.

So stay with Vista, and quit gripping.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Just because one drives a model T does not mean that anyone else should or should want to. Every vehicle, real or virtual has differences. Some of those are bothersome to a few people. Some are not. In each case, it has what it needs to function as designed. The only vote one has is to buy or not to buy. Today, as we move into the virtual worlds, we also have the option to try the fit and functions.

One does not buy a self driving car without expecting it to do the job safely and as efficiently as technically possible but don't expect it to satisfy or be safe if you intentionally blind it to the world around it. Privacy is not a real thing anymore than rights or freedoms.

If I see you on the street, I will either recognize you or not. Some amount of that is about how deeply my previous contact(s) with you have been and part is just how well I remember the encounter(s). Don't expect me to engage with you if you are not going to let me look at you, hear you or remember anything about you. What I will remember about you will be what is important to me, not you so don't try to hamper my experience by trying to cast your own limitations on the interaction. Instead, become a hermit or a monk and stick to an unchanging schtick and enjoy a life of no change/no growth.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Just because one drives a model T does not mean that anyone else should or should want to. Every vehicle, real or virtual has differences. Some of those are bothersome to a few people. Some are not. In each case, it has what it needs to function as designed. The only vote one has is to buy or not to buy. Today, as we move into the virtual worlds, we also have the option to try the fit and functions.

One does not buy a self driving car without expecting it to do the job safely and as efficiently as technically possible but don't expect it to satisfy or be safe if you intentionally blind it to the world around it. Privacy is not a real thing anymore than rights or freedoms.

If I see you on the street, I will either recognize you or not. Some amount of that is about how deeply my previous contact(s) with you have been and part is just how well I remember the encounter(s). Don't expect me to engage with you if you are not going to let me look at you, hear you or remember anything about you. What I will remember about you will be what is important to me, not you so don't try to hamper my experience by trying to cast your own limitations on the interaction. Instead, become a hermit or a monk and stick to an unchanging schtick and enjoy a life of no change/no growth.

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Interesting way to put it. I enjoyed the perspective.

Perhaps it isn't sufficient even to be a monk. Look how fast the Catholic Church is moving.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Kirk,

You are aware that W10 monitors all your usage/habits, and then sends this data back to their servers? Unlike previous versions of windows, it's now mandatory in W10 and you can not opt out of this reporting.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/computers/item/21400-windows-10-is-spyware

So now Microsoft is going to do what Apple has been doing all along?

The thing about Windows 10 is if you have older software programs that you don't want to upgrade - check first to see if they will be compatible with Win10 and see if their are updated drivers from the manufacturer. Otherwise, you could find that your old favorite software program doesn't work with Win 10

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Kirk, my advice is that if you are going to go Apple go all the way. iPhone and iPad. Nothing Android. The Apple stuff works well together. Assuming you want the hardware to share info. If you don't care then you can stay mixed.

X2,

KIrk you've been railing about how you hate Windows and now you say you are keeping both? I second the opinion that you need to get all the way in or all the way out. Jack is considering switching to all Android if Windows doesn't work for him anymore.

Joe, what possible good does it do to rail and not change? Linux has fewer changes, does not require giant changes unless you are not willing to learn new programs that are designed for it.

There are lots of us who have learned and discarded Linux and Apple and stuck with Windows PCs. Some of us ran multiple OS' on multiple machines or dual booted on one or more because we like playing with new tech. I can do Linux, even command line parts of Linux although I have to look up each string. I used the first Mac in 1986 for my on base SIU Industrial engineering classes. We had to use the computer lab Macs for our flowcharting assignments and our CAD/CAM assignments. I came away very glad to get back to my DOS machines.

There is another option. Don't use computers at all. Get a flip phone and use voice calls only to communicate. That is a choice.

Geo,

Agreed they are making it harder to Opt out as I love Cortana and to use her brilliant answers and help I had to allow a lot more tracking of my data than I would have considered even a couple of years ago. Thanks for the link!

Budd well said!

Rich,

I was wondering if the folks threatening to change OS' ever understood that about Apple. The positional brouhaha over their locations tracking on iPhones is a whole different issue from their Tailoring their users experience.

Jim and others do you have a Windows 10 machine as well as your Win 7 machines?

Back to the topic.

I upgraded three computers of ours to 10 - my test Toshiba laptop with an SSD from 7 to 10 directly, my wife's HP tower desktop with an SSD directly from 7, and her Venue 11 Pro from 8.1 to 10.

I've still not upgraded my Win 8.1 27 inch all in one Dell 2720, my Toshiba T200 ultrabook tablet 11.6 with Win 8.1, and my oldest test laptop that I am waiting for MS to say can be done. It is one of the first Win 7 systems Compaq put out as it still has DDR2 and other Vista era hardware. I doubt that MS or HP is going to do drivers but we will see. I wanted to see how inclusive MS was going to be with the oldest hardware I have access to for testing.

I like Windows 10 as it is all too familiar, a mix of the best of 7 and the best of 8.1. Tablet touch functions seem unchanged. I was never much of a start button user in Win 95/98/98SE/Millennia edition/ XP/Vista/7. I grew to like the charms bar on the right side and the swipe switch uses that are slightly different in 10. But the changes are very logical and I have no issues doing CMD changes, registry hacks, or control panel changes. And I have bearely scratched the surface.

So I am among the ones that waited and am won over. I am waiting on my big system until I am sure that Dell is onboard all the way with their Windows 8 fleet on the high end. I am upgrading to the new Surface 3 or as I just tried today at Best Buy, the Surface Pro 4. WOW! So I'm holding off on upgrading it until I buy my new tablet. It has all but a full size USB on the tablet part, and no HD resolution. Thus my decision to move up. Then when I upgrade the Windows 8.1 ASUS T200 to 10, I can set it up with the new owner's user name and Microsoft account.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Poor choices there, I just voted and you had no choice that was I upgraded to Windows 10 and like it and am glad I did it. You had all making comparisons to 8.1 as better or not com[pared to 8.1 which is of no use to Win 7 folks who never used 8/8.1. It seems like you funneled everyone into a wishy washy or extreme. I love Windows 10 was closest for me as I don't care how it compares to 8/8.1 as I want it to stand on its own as a natural and logical progression from the previous versions.

MS is cool again.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

In the 12 PCs I have upgraded to Windows 10, the most significant were the Windows 7 upgrades in a retail store I support. Those PCs now integrate with the Windows Server 2012 RE and makes my job of remotely supporting so much easier.

And the real positive, the store workers adapted to the Win 10 in minutes.

Not to mention what 12 upgrades normally would have cost.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

You want the operating system supported, which means continuing changes to deal with new world conditions, but you don't want it to change.

You do not have to change. There are people still running XP. Nobody at Microsoft is forcing you to do anything.

So stay with Vista, and quit gripping.

I'm not sure Joe was gripping, and I'm pretty sure he didn't want for you to get you're panties in a knot, but it would be nice to be able to get some support for the "older" systems, like Windows 8.0, or even like my OS Windows 7. I know things change, or we would still be running around with horse & buggies, BUT, even today, you can still buy feed, and hay to "support" horses. I was self taught with a Radio Shack disc (TRS-Dos), and then MS-dos, and was not happy when every thing went to Windows. I got so tired of watching that hour glass, when a few key strokes would get it done so much quicker, but there again, things change. Most of the

time for the better, but it would still be nice to be able to buy some feed & seed for us morons, and oletimers! Like they say, "Hey Mon, be happy". Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

I have mentioned it in other posts, but will repeat my opinion here. I like Windows 10 more than 8.1, but not as much as Windows 7. Removing the Media Center was a show stopper for me. My biggest concern regarding Windows 10 is not the OS itself, rather the Big Brother policies that Microsoft has adopted. Privacy concerns, no control of updates, sharing my bandwidth with others for peer to peer distribution of updates, sharing my WiFi and now forced upgrades from Win 7 / 8.x have caused me to loose faith in Microsoft. I simply no longer trust them.

I have Windows 10 installed on one computer that I use for testing and has zero personal information on it. I am now using Linux for 95% of my computing needs. When I absolutely must run software that is Windows only, it is done on a Win 7 machine with no internet access.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Thanks for the thoughts, even though it is quite a mixed bag. As I mentioned previously, I have been testing a Mac for a time and have been migrating that direction but recently bought a cheapie tablet with W8.1 just for our Australia trip and it has a "free" upgrade link. While it won't ever be my primary device, it is handy for some minor picture sorting and filing and a quick check of email while traveling.

As aggravated as I get with MS, they do have the corner on the cheap stuff pretty much. Family pressure is to Apple and cheap they are not. Perhaps I should just be the rebel and join Jack with an Android! :P

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'm not sure Joe was gripping, and I'm pretty sure he didn't want for you to get you're panties in a knot, but it would be nice to be able to get some support for the "older" systems, like Windows 8.0, or even like my OS Windows 7. I know things change, or we would still be running around with horse & buggies, BUT, even today, you can still buy feed, and hay to "support" horses. I was self taught with a Radio Shack disc (TRS-Dos), and then MS-dos, and was not happy when every thing went to Windows. I got so tired of watching that hour glass, when a few key strokes would get it done so much quicker, but there again, things change. Most of the

time for the better, but it would still be nice to be able to buy some feed & seed for us morons, and oletimers! Like they say, "Hey Mon, be happy". Dick T

Thank you Dick T. Was actually looking for some constructive input, but then it is what it is. As for learning another operating system, hmmmmmmm. About all I do with a computer is email and web browsing/searching. Don't really need a whole bunch of bells and whistles for that. So for now I'm outta here.

Joe

Joe

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

Archived