Driving Experience

hillrider

Ok, so I got a 30' TT that I pull with a 1/2 Chevy. I really like the camper. But, I think I'd like the convenience of a Class C even better. I've got a Wrangler that would work well for a toad, so destination travel is moot. However, I really don't like the sway factor between me and semi's on the open road. I've got several dealers available to me, but I don't think there's even one of them that would allow a 100 mile test drive.

The question, are Class Cs as susceptible to buffeting as TT's.

(ps - I currently use the dual cam anti-sway system)

Many larger Class C RVs (28' and longer) need suspension work in order to make them more drivable. Typically this will include heavier shock absorbers, heavier anti-roll bars and air springs. A 30' box strapped on the back of the E450 chassis is just too much for the Ford suspension.

As for your current set up, my personal feeling is that a 30' travel trailer is too much for a 1/2 ton truck. A 3/4 ton truck would probably do better.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We had a 29' Class C. Yes, there was a push when semis went by - took a few times to know how much pressure to apply to steering wheel to negate the push. Never had a real problem and never felt the car behind us. Remember, a towed car tracks right behind you and doesn't wag you, unlike a trailer. We didn't need any extra suspension on ours. Did several long trips in it. Great for 2 weeks or so, but definitely not for fulltiming!

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Thanks guys. Now for some serious thinking. Do I want to sink that much into something that will still roll a little going down the road. The wife and brother in law say they can't feel it, so maybe I'm just being a nervous Nellie.

Anyways - thanks for the input.

At one time I pulled a 27' trailer behind a 1/2 ton Suburban. Changing the tire from p-metric to LT in the same size made a major reduction in the wiggle effect. There is a noticeable difference in sidewall stiffness between p-metric (passenger tires really) and light truck tires.

Jeff, Patricia and Sage 

Full timers for 15 years

Future part timers 

We have a rig that is only 23.5' long so not a fair comparison to a 30', and the Lazy Daze has a somewhat lower profile than many Class C rigs, but I rarely notice any significant push or pull from a passing semi. Maybe one in a 100 passing semis has a noticeable effect that I have to correct for. I'm not sure whether that exception is the result of the semi passing too close, or perhaps the semi interrupting with a cross wind that I've been adjusting for.

Clarkie
Dick & Linda, hosting Abbie, our miniature Dachshund.
23.5' Lazy Daze MH
Newberg, Oregon

• 1 month later...

Another consideration would be to look at the Super Cs - built on a real "over the road" truck chassis, usually with diesel engines. I have a Jayco Embark on a Freightliner chassis and passing semis don't give me any problems at all - very solid handling.

Mike & K. (Both retired USAF)

2013 Jayco Embark "HaRVey the RV"

Freightliner Business Class, Cummins ISC

Our Class C is 29' in length. The *only* thing we've added to it is a Safe-T-Plus steering control bar. It helps when driving on roads with ruts from the semis, during side winds, and when semis pass.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Archived