Modular Smart Car Beds

bmzero

I'm getting closer to finalizing the ramp design.

ab80e816-b2b5-4c7e-959e-fc2c91e62292-s.j
Plenty of under-side webbing to help with flex.
e51e083e-d4c3-45a0-b451-963691103214-s.j
Still maintaining the quick and easy two-pin attachment system.
f5303e42-8f58-4ced-a978-ed2368f69567-s.j
Folds up flat to slide into compartments below bed surface. All mounting hardware (receiver tube and pins) will fit nicely within the box created by the webbing to make sure they don't slide around.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A client of mine who owns a tire store and a trailer business (www.lbtrailers.com) is suggesting I stay with the 16's and just go with a higher ply rating.

Do your self a favor and save time.

Just go to your friends shop and have him wheel out his best 16' and then a 17.5 I promise you your decision will be made in seconds.

Also check the speed ratings you'll be shocked

Do your self a favor and save time.

Just go to your friends shop and have him wheel out his best 16' and then a 17.5 I promise you your decision will be made in seconds.

Also check the speed ratings you'll be shocked

I'm sure you're right. That's the direction I'm leaning.

I heard that Polaris bought a couple of the new Yamaha to test at camp razor.

Did you see or test one any feed back??

I haven't driven one, but I did blow past a few of them up the hills in the Motus V4 RZR. :P

https://www.facebook.com/BustedKnuckleFilms/videos/10153323169733985/

Jim, when did the 16" tires get rated to 75mph?

I was going to ask the same question, mine are rated for 65mph and just installed this past June. Did they upgrade them?

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSpeedRating.do

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/235/85-r-16-load-range-g-14-ply-goodyear-g614-rst-radial-trailer-tir

I run them at 110psi, but we are at 3500lbs per tire. Haven't had any issue since we replaced them 2 years ago. Had 1 blowout, and 1 tread loss but no deflation on the old set when they were 5 yrs old. Our 5'er sat for 3 years with the previous owner and I believe that contributed to the issue.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We replaced the tires on our previous drv with g614. That was also original tires that had failures. The replacements never had a problem. I not recommending them though. We did have good results with replacements but not orginals

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSpeedRating.do

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/235/85-r-16-load-range-g-14-ply-goodyear-g614-rst-radial-trailer-tir

I run them at 110psi, but we are at 3500lbs per tire. Haven't had any issue since we replaced them 2 years ago. Had 1 blowout, and 1 tread loss but no deflation on the old set when they were 5 yrs old. Our 5'er sat for 3 years with the previous owner and I believe that contributed to the issue.

Jim, that was interesting. I had to search many different Goodyear pages to finally find something that gave a speed rating for the tire, besides a Discount Tire ad.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Jim, that was interesting. I had to search many different Goodyear pages to finally find something that gave a speed rating for the tire, besides a Discount Tire ad.

My mistake, I just pulled a generic speed rating chart.

But 75mph is still better than 65 when you have distance to cover. For us, truck and trailer seem to like the 66-68mph range. Engine in the sweet spot, decent mileage, and not burning up the tires.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Hi bmzero - saw your spares and had a "squirrel!" moment - when we brought our new to us toyhauler home I had to repair both wheel wells where blow outs had bashed up the sheet metal wheel well liner. Our Carriage trailer is not built with saving every nickel in mind - the sheet metal liner is reasonably heavy guage and was not destroyed but it got bent up and partly pulled out of the frame mounts. While fixing I dreamed that maybe a guy could design a blow out guard cage something or other made out of heat treated steel that has high tensile strength that would withstand the slappage of a tire coming apart and protect the body work and systems? Back to regular thread programming...

I use a pressure/temperature tire monitor on all tires (RV and HDT). It does a good job of notifying me of a tire problem before the tire blow out becomes a problem. I monitor tire pressure (by manually cycling through all tires) as I drive about every hour or so (I get bored and need something to do besides drive :) ) .

Mine cost about $900 but it was well worth it.

Really like the bed your putting together, would be exactly what I'll be looking for when the truck and time comes together. Only thing I'd be looking to do would be to have a way to add panel at the back if needed in order to make the deck hold 4 ATVs for shuttling at Moab.

As for the trailer tires... I put XPS Ribs on our Toy Hauler about 7 years and 30k+ miles ago. No problems. Buddy put Durvis on his trailer. I think either would serve well.

Really like the bed your putting together, would be exactly what I'll be looking for when the truck and time comes together. Only thing I'd be looking to do would be to have a way to add panel at the back if needed in order to make the deck hold 4 ATVs for shuttling at Moab.

Thanks. The length of the platform is determined by how many sections you need to fit your chassis. The platform in the photo below is 137". It's built on a singled-mid setup on my 730. Depending on your chassis, you could easily add more sections of platform.

333a805c-9523-48d6-8f46-f1b908ad5bae-s.j

The other option is to utilize a receiver-mounted platform. When I get around to the rear, I will be including three receiver tubes. The center tube will be the standard 2.5" hitch tube. The outside tubes will be standard 2" hitch tubes. They will be used for various attachments, including a rack system, which you were probably talking about above. Below is one I built onto the back of my last trailer. It was a temporary setup, but worked very well. That quad rode there for over 1800 miles and didn't fall off once. :D The rack system on this truck will be designed to include more VersaTie track making it very "versatile" (pun intended).

16575700916_79229e4eeb_b.jpg

16394400927_2ee319fa32_b.jpg

16575712986_8f9fc259a7_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks. The length of the platform is determined by how many sections you need to fit your chassis. The platform in the photo below is 137". It's built on a singled-mid setup on my 730. Depending on your chassis, you could easily add more sections of platform.

333a805c-9523-48d6-8f46-f1b908ad5bae-s.j

The other option is to utilize a receiver-mounted platform. When I get around to the rear, I will be including three receiver tubes. The center tube will be the standard 2.5" hitch tube. The outside tubes will be standard 2" hitch tubes. They will be used for various attachments, including a rack system, which you were probably talking about above. Below is one I built onto the back of my last trailer. It was a temporary setup, but worked very well. That quad rode there for over 1800 miles and didn't fall off once. :D The rack system on this truck will be designed to include more VersaTie track making it very "versatile" (pun intended).

16575700916_79229e4eeb_b.jpg

16394400927_2ee319fa32_b.jpg

16575712986_8f9fc259a7_b.jpg

BM - I like the simplicity of your "RMP" - What's the weight of that quad and what is the wall thickness of the tubing?

2009 Volvo 670VLN

2012 Forrest River Cedar Creek 36RE

1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate

Any updates on this awesome project?

I need to put together a bed soon, and really like what you have going so far.

I have a new version of the floor joist that I will probably cut in a week or so. I also have an updated ramp design I am working on.

The bed platform is ready for production. Please message me for details.

BM - I like the simplicity of your "RMP" - What's the weight of that quad and what is the wall thickness of the tubing?

Thanks. The key is triangulating the platform back to the trailer. On toy haulers, that's pretty simple since there is usually structural steel tubing on the rear of the trailer. On a standard 5th wheel, that might be tricky. If you triangulate it, the tubing wall thickness is not a huge concern. This quad weighs around 350lbs and the wall thickness of that tubing is .25", which is way overkill for this platform. 1/8" would be fine.

For documentation sake, here are the latest photos of the prototype vehicle ramps. I still need to finalize the ramp support design, but other than that, these are pretty much good to go.

a22c03f9-d13f-418c-bf27-fa9e5b55fcce-s.j

Movable wheel chock design is done.

It will secure to the bed using a threaded stud from Mac's - http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/m10-threaded-stud/VersaTieConnectors

A thumb knob will make it quick and easy to remove - http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/four-prong-knob/VersaTieConnectors

The locator pin on the bottom will keep it aligned inside of the track properly.

There are extra holes on the bottom of the chock to allow me to extend the chock past (outside) the edge of the bed for those times when 102" just isn't enough.

d247d1bc-d4eb-4af5-9c5c-0aee95bdf365-s.j

Archived